Up Next: Hoban vs. X post-playoff regular season game

Yes, Catholic, but I was using those as the teams that most people complain about recruiting from multiple counties. California has some, um, interesting, transfer rules which enable teams like St John Bosco, Mater Dei, and De LaSalle to have top recruits transfer in for football season. They do not have to live in the area, only stay in the area during the season, even if just with a host family. They can then transfer back to their home schools for the rest of the semester. Basically, play on an all star team to try to get a college scholarship and go back to wherever you came from after. Like I said, they're factories for athletic scholarships, and no one who doesn't have that same advantage should be able to hang with a team like that.
St X compared to the MAC, that he is trashing in the other thread, does bring kids in. He wants to trash them just because they are a small school and wants them to play in the “unlimited division” and wants to brag on his bombers just because they beat Pick Central. Hate to break it to him but Pick Central isn’t the real deal. Step on up to the big leagues and let’s watch his bombers get bombed. St X has the second highest CB in the state. I’d say that’s quite comparable to Mater Dei. St X would be average at best in that trinity league

Last edited:
No disrespect is intended toward St. X. But Hoban wins that 2020 matchup. They're in a dynasty period, much like St. Ignatius and Moeller before them.
I tend to agree, but would be a fun game to watch. Hoban is loaded on defense, but so was everyone else X played from Lakota West on. Hoban's top end players may be a bit better, but it's comparable. I do think Hoban would have trouble moving the ball against the X defense though if they try to stick with the power run.

St X compared to the MAC, that he is trashing in the other thread, does bring kids in. He wants to trash them just because they are a small school and wants them to play in the “unlimited division” and wants to brag on his bombers just because they beat Pick Central. Hate to break it to him but Pick Central isn’t the real deal. Step on up to the big leagues and let’s watch his bombers get bombed. St X has the second highest CB in the state. I’d say that’s quite comparable to Mater Dei. St X would be average at best in that trinity league
Have not seen the MAC post, so no dog in that fight. X, Eds, PC, Mentor, etc don't have a tough time with many D2 schools. No matter how good the D3-D6 school is, hanging with a top 10-20 Ohio D1 program is going to be a big stretch.

His other point is that X will play anyone they can, even if it means getting blown out on occasion. Just because X has the second highest CB numbers it does not mean they can "bring in" players like the factories do- the Ohio rules are not set up to allow that. X, Ignatius, etc, cannot rent a prospect for the football season, then send them back. Mater Dei also has a massive advantage in general population. LA County has over 10 million people living in it, Greater Cincinnati has less than a third of that. So yeah, given the apples to oranges rules, X probably wouldn't be able to compete with Mater Dei, etc, on a consistent basis. Doesn't mean they won't play them if they came calling.

Reactions: 4GX
Have not seen the MAC post, so no dog in that fight. X, Eds, PC, Mentor, etc don't have a tough time with many D2 schools. No matter how good the D3-D6 school is, hanging with a top 10-20 Ohio D1 program is going to be a big stretch.

His other point is that X will play anyone they can, even if it means getting blown out on occasion. Just because X has the second highest CB numbers it does not mean they can "bring in" players like the factories do- the Ohio rules are not set up to allow that. X, Ignatius, etc, cannot rent a prospect for the football season, then send them back. Mater Dei also has a massive advantage in general population. LA County has over 10 million people living in it, Greater Cincinnati has less than a third of that. So yeah, given the apples to oranges rules, X probably wouldn't be able to compete with Mater Dei, etc, on a consistent basis. Doesn't mean they won't play them if they came calling.
No one said the small schools could hang with them. Him wanting the MAC schools to play X is more than equivalent to X playing Mater Dei. Let me know when that happens so I can have the Vaseline ready for X because they will take a pounding. He can puff his chest all he wants, X is average at best in that league, not just against Mater Dei

According to wiki X gets kids from greater Cincinnati, southeastern indiana and northern Kentucky. According to mater dei’s page they pull from 5 counties. Sounds fair enough to me. Play ball

Yeah, they won D1 but I dont think they could hang with Ohio State so that means their title is meaningless.

Yeah, they won D1 but I dont think they could hang with Ohio State so that means their title is meaningless.
Dude wants to drag public MAC schools with 300 kids through the trash just because they aren’t in his mighty “unlimited division.” The schools I named that would qualify for his mighty unlimited division would take X to the woodshed

Dude wants to drag public MAC schools with 300 kids through the trash just because they aren’t in his mighty “unlimited division.” The schools I named that would qualify for his mighty unlimited division would take X to the woodshed

How about this - each school gets to name one idiot poster from their school that everyone else should simply ignore. Any guesses who St. X's is?

St. X has 2. They happen to be the same person. Reload and 4XL.

I promise you Reload and 4GX are NOT the same person. And while Reload can be a little bit coarse, I can assure you that at least as for the regular posters on here, he is privy to some of the best inside knowledge of the X program. I can see why some of the other school posters may not like him, but at the least you need to respect his knowledge and history. He is a bit in the mold of an LCD or a BellBoy or MoeDude.

In any event - most definitely not 4GX.

I promise you Reload and 4GX are NOT the same person. And while Reload can be a little bit coarse, I can assure you that at least as for the regular posters on here, he is privy to some of the best inside knowledge of the X program. I can see why some of the other school posters may not like him, but at the least you need to respect his knowledge and history. He is a bit in the mold of an LCD or a BellBoy or MoeDude.

In any event - most definitely not 4GX.

Not so Sure...

I lean towards St X. But realistically, if they played 10 times, I believe it would be 5 wins each. Now that the Ohio and PA state championships are done, the 2 games I would love to see are:
PA - 6A champion (St. Joe's Prep) versus Ohio - Division I champion (St. X).
PA - 5A champion (Pine Richland) versus Ohio - Division II champion (Hoban).

Then I would add these games as well to be able to see:
PA - 4A champion Thomas Jefferson vs. Ohio division 3 champion Chardon
PA - 3A champion Central Valley vs. Ohio division 4 champion Van Wert
PA - 2A champion Southern Columbia vs. Ohio division 5 champion Kirtland
PA - 1A champion Steelton-Highspire vs. Ohio division 6/7 champion Coldwater or New Brenan

Nothing like creating a strawman that doesn’t exist— no one “dragged MAC schools with 300 kids through the trash”— in fact, I commended them on their success in lower levels, and suggested that they step up to challenge themselves in higher levels of competition, Yappi’s founder (Yappi himself) regularly says the same thing, but I notice that you don’t choose to argue with or sling mud at him— maybe because it‘s his house, and you don’t want to get on the wrong side of the owner of this website.

According to wiki X gets kids from greater Cincinnati, southeastern indiana and northern Kentucky. According to mater dei’s page they pull from 5 counties. Sounds fair enough to me. Play ball
Again, your ignorance is showing— those areas in the 3 states that X draws from (SE IN, N KY, SW OH) have a small fraction of the population that the 5 counties that Mater Dei draws from have— as noted above, Greater LA and OC have more than 10 million people (closer to 15 million)— more than the ENTIRE population of the state of Ohio— the Greater Cincinnati area that X draws from (encompassing those three areas in three states) includes ~2 Million people— so, no, not comparable areas.

Moreover, if you knew as much about HS football (even OHIO HS football) as you claim, you’d know that kids from KY and IN can no longer play athletics for Ohio schools— that change happened decades ago (in the early 1980’s) — multi-generational X families from Northern KY can thank Moeller and Gerry Faust for that change in the rules— he abused the rules, to bring in players from NKY just for football, which pushed OHSAA members to vote to make ALL out-of-state residents ineligible for OHSAA athletics)— so, again, NO, X does not have players from KY and IN— they have to move to Ohio to be eligible to play.

But again, having said all that, X does not shy away from playing those types of teams— St. John Bosco—which beat both Mater Dei and De La Salle to win the California State HS Big School championship (and “National Championship”) in 2019, played X in 2016, when Bosco agreed to come to Ohio for a televised game in 2016— so there is NO reluctance on X’s part, to play the pure football factories from around the US (despite those “schools” operating under a different set of rules than X does)— if the opposing team is willing to come to Ohio (which is a limitation placed on X by the OHSAA), X is ready to play pretty much all comers— the X coach’s philosophy is that you only get better by playing the best— seems like an approach from which all could benefit.

No one said the small schools could hang with them. Him wanting the MAC schools to play X is more than equivalent to X playing Mater Dei. Let me know when that happens so I can have the Vaseline ready for X because they will take a pounding. He can puff his chest all he wants, X is average at best in that league, not just against Mater Dei
Again, you have created a false narrative— I don’t “want MAC schools to play X”— I know that would be nearly pointless— you started this debate by saying that (paraphrasing) ”[I[ must be one of those fans of schools that can’t compete with the MAC schools”— when I suggested (just as Yappi himself has, numerous times— without any challenge from you) that the MAC schools step up in division to challenge themselves with higher levels of competition— I did NOT say step up to Division I— though if any school (MAC, Hoban, LaSalle, Kirtland, Trotwood, you name it) wants to do that, I know that X would welcome the competition. It is only YOU that have said that I want MAC schools to play X— I have said that I would think that THEY (emphasis here on THEM— the MAC schools THEMSELVES) WOULD want to see how they do against increasing levels of competition, rather than confining themselves to a smaller pool of competition— given that they’ve already shown that they can master that level of competition—it’s back to: how do you get better— and the answer is: by continually challenging yourself by playing better and better competition.

It’s hard to say if a MAC school playing X would be “more than equivalent to X playing Mater Dei”— what I DO KNOW, is that X has been willing to play schools BETTER than Mater Dei (e.g.- St. John Bosco) when the opportunity presented itself— are the MAC schools similarly willing? I‘ve never said anything about how X would do playing those schools regularly— those schools operate under completely different rules (as noted above by another poster)— the key point is that X is not shying away from playing anyone.

1) I never “trashed the MAC”— that is a figment of your imagination.
2) X does NOT “bring kids in“— at least not kids solely for the purpose of playing any sport— every kid at X has to meet the (fairly high) standard on the school’s admissions test— and X does NOT take transfers, at all, after the freshman class is admitted— unless they come from another Jesuit HS in another part of the country, and then the kid’s parents have transferred to the Greater Cincinnati area. There are no “kids being brought in” to play football at X.
3) As noted several times, X has played state championship teams from at least 10 other surrounding states; X has never been unwilling to play top competition from across the country— as long as the other school can/will come to Ohio, because X (as an OHSAA member) is forbidden from traveling beyond a certain distance outside the state. X played a better team that Mater Dei (St. John Bosco—which defeated Mater Dei last season on the way to winning the CA state and the “national” championships), when Bosco was willing to come to Ohio. There is no unwillingness on X’s part to “step up to the big leagues“— can the same be said for all of the top Ohio HS football teams, at all levels?

4) Just because YOU’d say that X’s CB number makes it “quite comparable to Mater Dei” does not make it so— you’ve already revealed that you can’t accurately reiterate (or even come close to) what someone else (me) said in an earlier post— and you’ve shown that you can’t count very well (~2 Million does not equal ~15 Million in population)— and you didn’t even seem to know that St, John Bosco was BETTER than Mater Dei last year— but then, that goes right along with all your other absolute certainties about things that just ain’t so (e.g.- Hoban winning easily against X). You live in your own little fantasy land.

Mater Dei is catholic just like them
Mater Dei is Catholic— that’s about where the similarities between Mater Dei and X end... the rules that govern the two schools are COMPLETELY different— as are the populations they draw from— X’s population in its area is anywhere from 1/5 to 1/7 the population in Southern California.

No disrespect is intended toward St. X. But Hoban wins that 2020 matchup. They're in a dynasty period, much like St. Ignatius and Moeller before them.
If Hoban is such a dynasty, I hope that they will agree to play X next year— but I doubt that Hoban is really at the level that Moeller and Ig were at, in their heyday— more like Mooney in the 2000’s — good for their level, and (occasionally) capable of stepping up and beating a higher division team, on a given day— but far from the dominant powerhouse in Divisions I that Moeller and Ig were in those days.

You lost 34-0 back in ‘17 to St John Bosco. Mater Dei almost always destroys them
Actually, the game was in 2016— and X played that game without FOUR Division I College players on that year’s X team (including Penn State‘s starting QB and 3 Division I offensive linemen, including a Clemson recruit)— all out with injuries... X got beaten soundly, without those players— and would likely have lost even with them— BUT there was NO reluctance on X’s part to play the top team in the country that year-- can you say the same about the schools that you follow?

Mater Dei or IMG vs X would look like X vs Pick Central score, if not worse. Fact
You have no idea— in the past, when X has played with its best teams against teams that were just as good as those teams you mentioned, the games have been competitive— and X has won more than its fair share.

Not of similar level of those two. Those two are always #1 and #2 in the country. Play them and you’ll see why
Again, you are wrong and showing your ignorance— Lakeland was IMG before IMG— IMG’s team did not even start until 2013. In 2006, Lakeland was featuring 4 future NFL players— including two future All-Pros— and was the defending Florida State Big School Champs. St. John Bosco was better than Mater Dei in 2019 (beating them AND De La Salle, on the way to the CA Big School and “National” championships). X has played comparable schools— and been competitive— the only game that was not, was due, in no small part, to X losing four College Division I players (Clifford— now starting for 3 years at QB for Penn State, and 3 other Division I College linemen, including a Clemson recruit) to injuries before the game.

all I can say is you are an idiot. Go beat those schools then come back to talk your shyt. Won’t happen but let me know when you play them so I can watch the arse kicking you will get
AD140793-E004-434B-A0D8-F59D08C68BB6.png