Unsigned surprises?

no one can "sign" with a college until the national signing day. i believe it's some time around the 1st week of february. you can verbally commit to a school prior to that date. also, there is only a "signing" for a division 1 & 2 program within the college. division 3, naia, patriot & ivy league schools have no "signing" because they do not provide any athletic scholarships for athletes. so you can tell those schools that you plan on playing for them but you still have to attend a tryout before the season begins.

no one can "sign" with a college until the national signing day. i believe it's some time around the 1st week of february. you can verbally commit to a school prior to that date. also, there is only a "signing" for a division 1 & 2 program within the college. division 3, naia, patriot & ivy league schools have no "signing" because they do not provide any athletic scholarships for athletes. so you can tell those schools that you plan on playing for them but you still have to attend a tryout before the season begins.

Well I'm playing at Mount Vernon University which is an Naia and I got a scholarship for soccer and I had a signing day a month ago where I signed a letter of intent so....not sure where you heard that from?

Yeah, not sure where you got that from. I signed with a NAIA school and received a soccer scholarship. I can see maybe the D-3 teams do not require signing, but not what you said.

i stand corrected on naia schools. i know they are not subject to the same rules as ncaa schools. so the scholarship money they give out is not subject to the same restrictions as ncaa.

ncaa div 1 schools have only 9.9 athletic scholarships to give out for men's soccer to be shared amongst an entire team -- provided that the school is fully funded. so you can tell, that money doesn't go very far if there are approximately 30 players on a team. div 2 schools have less scholarships & div 3 have no athletic scholarships. that's why no letter of intent is required. patriot league member schools have no athletic money to give away, so there is no letter of intent to sign.

see www.national-letter.org for more details. it is a separate organization that governs ncaa member organization.

National Signing Day for Soccer: February 6th

Last edited:
february 6th is the official date signing date for soccer, meaning that it is the 1st day that anyone is able to sign their letter of intent. 8/1/08 is the last day anyone is able to sign. the signing date is varies from sport to sport.