UFC 166: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos III

Yellow_Jacket06

Main Card

Heavyweight Championship

Cain Velasquez defeated Junior Dos Santos via TKO (Punch) at 3:09 R5

Heavyweight

Daniel Cormier defeated Roy Nelson via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

Lightweight

Gilbert Melendez defeated Diego Sanchez via Unanimous Decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)

Heavyweight

Gabriel Gonzaga defeated Shawn Jordan via KO (Punches) at 1:33 R1

Flyweight

John Dodson defeated Darrell Montague via KO (Punches) at 4:15 R1

Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)

Middleweight

Tim Boetsch defeated C.B. Dollaway via Split Decision (30-26, 27-29, 30-26)

Welterweight

Hector Lombard defeated Nate Marquardt via KO (Punches) at 1:48 R1

Women's Bantamweight

Jessica Eye defeated Sarah Kaufman via Split Decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)

Lightweight

K.J. Noons defeated George Sotiropoulos via Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)

Preliminary Card (Facebook/Youtube)

Welterweight

Adlan Amagov defeated T.J. Waldburger via KO (Punches) at 3:00 R1

Lightweight

Tony Ferguson defeated Mike Rio via Submission (D'arce Choke) at 1:52 R1

Catchweight (148.5)

Andre Fili defeated Jeremy Larsen via TKO (Punches) at 0:53 R2

Bantamweight

Kyoji Horiguchi defeated Dustin Pague via TKO (Punches) at 3:51 R2

Last edited:

Cormier vs. Nelson should be a good one, I like the style matchup. Gimme Cain in the main event.

Cormier is dropping to LHW after this fight. Expect to see him fight Jones in the near future. Would be interesting to see how he handles a big elite wrestler.

Oh boy. Cormier ended up in the hospital right before the 2008 Olympics during a cut to 211.5 (and international wrestling has day before weigh ins, just like the UFC). Not sure that's a good idea for him. I don't see why he wouldn't take a shot at Velasquez/Dos Santos.

Oh boy. Cormier ended up in the hospital right before the 2008 Olympics during a cut to 211.5 (and international wrestling has day before weigh ins, just like the UFC). Not sure that's a good idea for him. I don't see why he wouldn't take a shot at Velasquez/Dos Santos.

Him and Cain are training partners and friends, he's actually Cain's wrestling coach. They would never fight. Also, the reason his kidneys failed at the Olympics is because he tried to drop way too much weight in one day and his body shut down. It wouldn't be too hard for him to make 205 doing it the right way

I know, he held 211 for years, but he has been up at heavy for a while now. It'll be interesting to see how he makes the transition, anyway. He'll be explosive, that's for sure.

From the FB page of a Lakota East HS (Liberty Twp, OH) wrestling coach .......

"Lakota East gives back to their craft by training in opposite camps for the biggest UFC Heavyweight trilogy ever! Tony Johnson Jr out at AKA helping with the Champ Cain Valasques while his former teammate Khetag Pliev is down in Brazil helping with the former champ Junior dos Santos. Makes for a great story. Its like the Civil War of MMA ya gotta love it."

Khetag Pliev --- Graduated from LEHS in 2002 and was a 2x State Champion

Tony Johnson --- Graduated from LEHS in 2004 and was a 3x placer and the 2004 state champion.

I'm friends with both of these guys on FB and have seen their posts and pictures from their respective camps. Crazy to see that the former teammates are training 2 opposing fighters.

FYI --- Tony has started to take big steps himself in the Octagon with his fairly recent victory over Tim Sylvia.

Pliev was also on the Canadian Olympic team last year. Tony Johnson won NHSCA Senior Nationals in '04, besting Dustin Fox of Galion who would be an undefeated NCAA champ in 2008 for Northwestern, and Kirk Nail of Hilliard Davidson, an All American at Ohio State. Ohio was loaded at heavyweight in 2004. Ironically, Johnson's only pro MMA loss was to Cormier.

Well FOTN is going to Melendez/Sanchez

What a war. Diego has always been a berserker who keeps throwing even if he's getting wrecked.

One fight away from a perfect set of picks and I feel confident that Cain retains.

I think I went perfect also.. I don't think I got a single fight right the whole night .. Granted I did pick Roy and JDS because they're my favorite fighters...

All I have to say is good thing I only bet on one fight and not the whole card..