UC Bearcats

They should call BYU and schedule a game next week
I stumbled across the Bearcat Report (not sure of the shows title) a few days ago and the reporter asked Fickell about this (not necessarily BYU) he said it was being explored but it wasn’t his decision to make.

Oregon losing effectively eliminates the Pac-12. Northwestern losing eliminates the Big 10 if Ohio State can't play their last 2 games.

The SEC games didn't go the Bearcats way but a good weekend for their playoff chances.

It would be hard to argue for a 2 loss Clemson o get in or an A&M team that already got blown out by Alabama to get a rematch.

If Bama and ND win their conference championships, UC has a good argument to get in if they can finish Tulsa twice.

Oregon losing effectively eliminates the Pac-12. Northwestern losing eliminates the Big 10 if Ohio State can't play their last 2 games.

The SEC games didn't go the Bearcats way but a good weekend for their playoff chances.

It would be hard to argue for a 2 loss Clemson o get in or an A&M team that already got blown out by Alabama to get a rematch.

If Bama and ND win their conference championships, UC has a good argument to get in if they can finish Tulsa twice.
If there is any year for a non Power 5 team to get in its this crazy year.

If there is any year for a non Power 5 team to get in its this crazy year.

I agree but there is no way a 1 loss SEC team, with that 1 loss being to the #1 team in the country, will not make the CFB before an undefeated Group of 5 team that doesn't have a W over a power 5 team. My prediction is that the CFB playoffs will be 2 teams from the SEC ('Bama & Texas A&M) and 2 teams from the ACC, (Clemson & ND). tOSU will not be able to play this weekend and therefore will miss out in the B1G title game and this will be a convenient way to keep them out of the playoffs. This will further cement the sport as only a Regional one, the south and parts of the Midwest, and in the future $s will start to shrink as big markets could care less about NCAA football.

I agree but there is no way a 1 loss SEC team, with that 1 loss being to the #1 team in the country, will not make the CFB before an undefeated Group of 5 team that doesn't have a W over a power 5 team. My prediction is that the CFB playoffs will be 2 teams from the SEC ('Bama & Texas A&M) and 2 teams from the ACC, (Clemson & ND). tOSU will not be able to play this weekend and therefore will miss out in the B1G title game and this will be a convenient way to keep them out of the playoffs. This will further cement the sport as only a Regional one, the south and parts of the Midwest, and in the future $s will start to shrink as big markets could care less about NCAA football.
Remember when the committee said the Big 12 was at a disadvantage for the playoffs because they don't have a championship game.
Now they do. But for the SEC it doesn't make any difference if they're the conference championship loser. That's why the committee will be a joke until their primary selection criteria is conference champion.
I thought it was a mistake for them to invite tOSU when they didn't win the CC, and they shouldn't invite them this year if they don't win the CC.

Just heard on the radio that as of now the MSU game is ON, with Larry Johnson as temp HC and Ryan Day staying quarantined.
tOSU resumed football practice yesterday.

The Illinois game was not cancelled by the league, nor was it cancelled because the positive covid tests reached a threshold.
My theory - tOSU cancelled the game to reduce the risk of more positive tests. The way things looked at the time - whether they played the Illinois game or not - if positive cases went up, their season was over. By having a few days of social distancing without more positive cases they could play the last 2 regular season games and the CC. IF, IF they get to play those 3 games they better look better than they did against IU, or it could open the door for UC if they win out - and in convincing fashion.

Miami of Ohio's game got cancelled this week and they are looking for a game. Couldn't UC and Miami play this Saturday? Give them both a game and travel is limited

Miami of Ohio's game got cancelled this week and they are looking for a game. Couldn't UC and Miami play this Saturday? Give them both a game and travel is limited
Apparently UC is still a no-go this weekend because of Covid. Plus for reasons mentioned above, UC should keep the quarantine up so as not to miss another game. Not really sure why the AAC needs to play the UC-Tulsa game on 12/12, other than to see who hosts the Championship game I guess. Why risk either team getting Covid. Play the game in Tulsa, call it the Championship game be done with it.

I'm having a tough time seeing a realistic path to the playoffs for UC without a ton of chaos. IMO both ND and Clemson are in, unless ND blows out Clemson in the 2nd meeting but I don't see that happening. I think a 2-loss Clemson team whose only losses came to the #2 team gets in before UC. SEC could get spots 3 and 4 if Florida beats Alabama in the SECC . If Alabama wins, the 4th spot goes to OSU or A&M.

Last edited:
I'm having a tough time seeing a realistic path to the playoffs for UC without a ton of chaos. IMO both ND and Clemson are in, unless ND blows out Clemson in the 2nd meeting but I don't see that happening. I think a 2-loss Clemson team whose only losses came to the #2 team gets in before UC. SEC could get spots 3 and 4 if Florida beats Alabama in the SECC . If Alabama wins, the 4th spot goes to OSU or A&M.
Florida is not beating Bama and I see Clemson walloping ND so my final four are
1 Bama
2 Clemson
3 OSU
4 ND
UC has no chance unless OSU loses which ain’t going to happen as the BIG is weak as hell this year

Florida is not beating Bama and I see Clemson walloping ND so my final four are
1 Bama
2 Clemson
3 OSU
4 ND
UC has no chance unless OSU loses which ain’t going to happen as the BIG is weak as hell this year
I hope you're wrong but I don't think you are. It's debatable whether or not the 4-team playoff has helped college football. It's getting a little old seeing the same teams every year.

I hope you're wrong but I don't think you are. It's debatable whether or not the 4-team playoff has helped college football. It's getting a little old seeing the same teams every year.
Number of 4-team playoff seasons so far - 6.
Number of teams that could have gotten in - if ALL new teams each year - 24.
Number of teams that have gotten in - 11. Alabama was the only repeat in year 2.
Alabama - 5 times - 2 NCs.
Clemson - 5 times - 2 NCs.
Oklahoma - 4 times - 0 NCs.
tOSU - 3 times - 1 NC.
LSU - 1 time - 1 NC.
Oregon, FSU, Washington, Georgia, and Notre Dame - all 1 time - 0 NC.

Totally agree, it should have been eight teams from the start

I’d accept an 8 team format, but would prefer a 12 team tourny....4 top seeds with byes and 8 teams in a play-in round to advance.

My proposal:

12 teams

Top 4 seeds represent the four best teams in college football regardless of whether they won their conference or not. They all get byes and host home games for the quarterfinals.

Seeds 5-8 include any P5 conference champs that didn't make the top 4 as well as the top G5 team. They get home games for the first round.

Seeds 9-12 are the best remaining teams per the final CFP rankings.

Semi-finals and Championship still remain neutral site games.

My proposal:

12 teams

Top 4 seeds represent the four best teams in college football regardless of whether they won their conference or not. They all get byes and host home games for the quarterfinals.

Seeds 5-8 include any P5 conference champs that didn't make the top 4 as well as the top G5 team. They get home games for the first round.

Seeds 9-12 are the best remaining teams per the final CFP rankings.

Semi-finals and Championship still remain neutral site games.
I don't understand half- attempts at a post-season like this. It doesn't have to be this complicated. College football is the only sport where half of the teams already know prior to the season starting that they have no shot at the postseason. Imagine if any other league was like this. Include all conference champs or the G5 needs to break off and form their own division.

I don't understand half- attempts at a post-season like this. It doesn't have to be this complicated. College football is the only sport where half of the teams already know prior to the season starting that they have no shot at the postseason. Imagine if any other league was like this. Include all conference champs or the G5 needs to break off and form their own division.

To many, my proposal would make more sense than a play-off that could include Memphis, Western Michigan, Middle Tennessee, App State, and Fresno State in a given year. Imagine how much $$$ would be lost by having all of these schools participate when the G5 only produces a worthy playoff contender every 3 years or so.

I kinda agree about your all-or-nothing approach however.

I think the P5 should expand to something like 80 teams with schools like UC, UCF, BYU, Boise, etc added into existing conferences.

Then you can do your straightforward play-off setup that guarantees the best schools in all of college football participate. The G5 schools that don't get promoted can reconvene with the best of the FCS and do their own thing.

To many, my proposal would make more sense than a play-off that could include Memphis, Western Michigan, Middle Tennessee, App State, and Fresno State in a given year. Imagine how much $$$ would be lost by having all of these schools participate when the G5 only produces a worthy playoff contender every 3 years or so.
Couldn't you say the same thing about March Madness? Why include half of those conferences when they never produce a playoff-worthy contender? I don't think the NCAA is losing any money by including teams like Gardner-Webb and Farleigh Dickinson. Besides, I think your point about money is exactly why college football has become what it's become.