UC Bearcats 2019

Still plenty of tickets available for the UCLA game. With great weather and a power 5 opponent in town you would have thought this game would be close to a sell out.

weekday games rarely sell well.

Saw they've scheduled future games with Boston College, NC State and Arkansas.

Still plenty of tickets available for the UCLA game. With great weather and a power 5 opponent in town you would have thought this game would be close to a sell out.
Problem is it’s on TV. I was thinking of going but I’ll pick another game or two.

Supposedly both McClelland and Wiggins are out for the year. Rumor is both suffered ACL injuries during non contact drills at the very end of the last fall camp practice. Unbelievable if true. Wiggins is especially a massive blow.

Eh. Weeknight games are a very tough sell. Hell, even Monday and Thursday night NFL games are in much less demand and the NFL is king.

Went to their Navy game last year, pretty cool place, and will go back but to battle that travel on a weeknight and take time off of work....no way.

Supposedly both McClelland and Wiggins are out for the year. Rumor is both suffered ACL injuries during non contact drills at the very end of the last fall camp practice. Unbelievable if true. Wiggins is especially a massive blow.
McClelland for certain. I think the jury is out on Wiggins.

Personally I believe the RB fumbled late in the game where UCLA returned it for a TD. I think from that one angle, the first they showed, you can see the ball moving out of his hands, and his buttocks were not down. In an other angle, you can see the first thing that is down is his arse so if you put the two together it was a fumble.

BUT>......hard to overturn the call. The whistle was faint but only was blown after UCLA had already recovered and was running it back.

Personally I believe the RB fumbled late in the game where UCLA returned it for a TD. I think from that one angle, the first they showed, you can see the ball moving out of his hands, and his buttocks were not down. In an other angle, you can see the first thing that is down is his arse so if you put the two together it was a fumble.

BUT>......hard to overturn the call. The whistle was faint but only was blown after UCLA had already recovered and was running it back.

Agree, should have been UCLA's ball at the point of recovery, whether they would have scored based on their play after UC changed it's defense is another matter; even if the had, they still would have lost, not enough time left with no timeouts.

Defensive line played better than expected, Offensive line after 1st qtr was ok, run blocking needs to improve. If UC had last years OL & DL that might be able to give Ohio St a game, with the current bunch, Ohio St by 21.

Very nice win by UC. The score was a lot closer then the game as the Bearcats more then doubled up on TOP & yardage. It was a dominating performance by both UC lines. While Ohio State will be favored UC has the advantage of having played a "competitive" game. OSU's opener not so much.

As an aside, those wanting the NFL to do away with preseason games should hope the league keeps at least 2. Last night was an exhibition of some of the DUMBEST, least sound football I've ever seen. This is what you get when the fist game of the season IS THE FIRST GAME of the season. Way to many penalties and some head scratching mistakes. The UCLA QB couldn't have been more careless with the football if he was trying. And UC had BACK TO BACK fumbles at the end (they recovered the 1st & got lucky with the 2nd) trying to run out the clock! Crappy football that's for sure. Even high school has game like scrimmages against other teams to prepare them for the season.

I was at the game and it was a fumble except that the whistle was blown, you could hear it in the stands. If anything the ref got a little whistle happy and probably blew it too soon but Warren was stopped and with all the emphasis on safety I think that is why the ref blew the whistle as quick as he did.

Warren only looked good in the first series after halftime. He just didn't seem to have the quick first step last night so I'm wondering if he may have been hurt. Doaks seemed to have a quicker first step last night and it seemed like he was hitting the creases quicker because of it. What's with the floating shotgun snap?!?!? I felt the shotgun snap was not crisp and caused some of the problems with the running game because Desmond was spending too much time getting control of the floating snap. Overall it was a typical first game with mistakes from both teams. UCLA, for much of the game, seemed to not be focused. I watched their sidelines a bit since I was sitting on the visitor side and at one point the Defense was together supposed to be having a meeting and they were all looking up at the scoreboard watching the video shots of the crowd.

I was surprised to see Desmond staring at his primary receiver so much. Against better defensive backs, if he doesn't fix that problem, he'll be throwing more interceptions like the one right before halftime. UCLA's defensive scheme seemed odd last night. Talk about bend but don't break, the underneath passing routes were wide open all night. UC definitely should have had more points last night but they kept shooting themselves in the foot.

I was at the game and it was a fumble except that the whistle was blown, you could hear it in the stands. If anything the ref got a little whistle happy and probably blew it too soon but Warren was stopped and with all the emphasis on safety I think that is why the ref blew the whistle as quick as he did.

Warren only looked good in the first series after halftime. He just didn't seem to have the quick first step last night so I'm wondering if he may have been hurt. Doaks seemed to have a quicker first step last night and it seemed like he was hitting the creases quicker because of it. What's with the floating shotgun snap?!?!? I felt the shotgun snap was not crisp and caused some of the problems with the running game because Desmond was spending too much time getting control of the floating snap. Overall it was a typical first game with mistakes from both teams. UCLA, for much of the game, seemed to not be focused. I watched their sidelines a bit since I was sitting on the visitor side and at one point the Defense was together supposed to be having a meeting and they were all looking up at the scoreboard watching the video shots of the crowd.

I was surprised to see Desmond staring at his primary receiver so much. Against better defensive backs, if he doesn't fix that problem, he'll be throwing more interceptions like the one right before halftime. UCLA's defensive scheme seemed odd last night. Talk about bend but don't break, the underneath passing routes were wide open all night. UC definitely should have had more points last night but they kept shooting themselves in the foot.
They replayed it a number of times on TV with the audio listening for the whistle. The only time you could hear it, very FAINTLY, was after the defender had it and was just starting to run. You def could not hear it blown while he was going down, or 'down' but well after the fact.

I am glad UC won, was pulling for them but man, that was a huge call. If it was called a fumble, it woulda stood as well, but I believe if this was an NFL game, where it gets scrutinized more, that they find a way to show that he wasn't down.

Was an exciting game. Clean some things up and they win in a blowout, as they absolutely dominated statistically.

Hopefully Warren is alright. Can't have that guy nursing a lingering injury all season long . Any word on Doaks? We're absolutely stockpiled at RB but with McClelland already out for the season, if those two arent 100% then we're down to Thomas who didn't even suit up.

Ridder lost his voice in the first half and they had to go with a silent count; maybe explains some of the early penalties. If nothing else, it was good practice for when they play the Buckeyes

I was admittedly extremely happy with the win and I realize that it was the first game of the year. Mistakes and miscues are to be expected. However, the 'Cats shot themselves in the foot way too many times. They kept a game -- which really could have been a blowout -- too close for comfort.

I'm fearful that this type of performance will get us embarrassed at OSU.

Was an exciting game. Clean some things up and they win in a blowout, as they absolutely dominated statistically.

Hopefully Warren is alright. Can't have that guy nursing a lingering injury all season long . Any word on Doaks? We're absolutely stockpiled at RB but with McClelland already out for the season, if those two arent 100% then we're down to Thomas who didn't even suit up.
Why wasn't TT dressed?

I was at the UCLA game and a few observations:

1) I love Nippert Stadium and with the central campus location it can create one of the better non Power 5 settings in NCAA football. That being said the urban neighborhood of the UC campus creates some issues, notably the tailgate scene is lame because there are no really good large surface lots to set up a tail gate community with RVs and such. Also the traffic flow is really bad so it is a late arriving crowd and since it takes forever to leave the locals beat it out of the stadium too early leaving a lot of empty seats in the 4th Q.

2) The fan experience at Nippert needs a little help too. How about at least the radio call in the bathrooms so you can keep up with the game? Also the fan flow into the stadium needs to be improved for the bigger games, too many big choke points trying to get into the stadium. On the positive there were plenty of beer vendors and there was no shortage of alcohol to prime up the fans.

3) The game was sloppy; UC was clearly the better team and UCLA is going to have another long season. UC has a nice roster and I like the make up of the team, the program is on the right track and if Fickle was to get a better gig it would be wise to slide Freeman over to the big seat and keep the train rolling.

That score should have been much worse than it was. UC's execution when they had tons of chances to put the game away was really poor. It actually got the point where UC was fortunate late in the game that UCLA (especially the QB) totally self destructed. I was disappointed in the way Ridder played. I thought he really struggled to see the field. Maybe losing his voice and the snaps from the Center caused some issues, but still he never seemed all that comfortable in the pocket.

IMO UC was far more physical than UCLA and they had better overall team speed. I continue to hear Wiggins is out for the year with an ACL injury. That is a huge blow for this team. His ability to cover the slot allows their defense to be super aggressive. Hicks will probably end up being solid in that spot but it's a huge dropoff and really minimizes how aggressive UC can be.

Lol I was reading the UC boards earlier this week and the posters there were absolutely livid that Vegas had OSU as 17 point favorites. Just goes to show that the little brother syndrome is real.

Lol I was reading the UC boards earlier this week and the posters there were absolutely livid that Vegas had OSU as 17 point favorites. Just goes to show that the little brother syndrome is real.
Lol, I saw nothing last week that made me think the Bearcats would be competitive against Ohio State in Columbus.

Not much chatter here lately but a couple big games coming up for the Bearcats. Marshall played well in a late night game against Boise St. then returned home and squeaked out a tough rivalry game against OU, UC better be focused for this game if they want to get the W. Then the Bearcats come home for the biggest home game in years as they face UCF on Friday night on ESPN.