Trump and Abortion

POLITICS

Donald Trump says abortion should be left up to states, sidestepping calls to back federal restrictions​

By Jacob Rosen, Kaia Hubbard, Olivia Rinaldi
April 8, 2024 / 9:35 AM EDT / CBS News

Washington — Former President Donald Trump on Monday declined to endorse a federal abortion ban, saying that the issue should be left up to states despite encouragement from anti-abortion groups that he should back a national restriction.

The former president has sent mixed signals on the issue for months, flirting with supporting a broader abortion ban amid dueling pressures from both Republicans and Democrats. While some in his party have made support for federal restrictions clear, Trump has on multiple occasions raised alarm about the trouble the issue has created for Republicans at the ballot box, while taking credit for the Supreme Court decision that overturned a constitutional right to an abortion.

President Biden and Democrats, meanwhile, have sought to make abortion rights one of the defining issues in the election.

"My view is now that we have abortion where everybody wanted it from a legal standpoint, the states will determine by vote or legislation, or perhaps both, and whatever they decide must be the law of the land. In this case, the law of the state," Trump said in a video posted on Truth Social after teasing last week that he would release a statement.

"At the end of the day, this is all about the will of the people," Trump added. "You must follow your heart or in many cases, your religion or your faith. Do what's right for your family and do what's right for yourself."

At least he understands that abortion is an issue the election could swing on. He is trying to take the poison out of that dart. At least he is trying.

I'm not sure that declaring it a state's issue neutralizes it. The entire Dem Party and the Left is talking about a federal, nationwide law that re-established the Roe standard and the Pro-life activists are talking about a federal law to ban or severely restrict it.

I think the best approach politically is for him to hammer home the fact that he is the only moderate on this issue. He has floated a +16 week ban and the usual exceptions. DeSantis is to his right and implemented a +6 week ban while Biden and that side wants abortion up to the point of full term and delivery. That is an extreme position and Trump is firmly between Biden and DeSantis.

It's hard for some people to think of BOM as a moderate on anything, but the fact is, on this issue (and many others), he actually is. That doesn't make me happy because it isn't where I am, but I do agree it is politically smart. I don't have anywhere else to go, but all those mushy middling independents will have to choose between abortion at anytime up to full delivery and a 16 weekish standard. FWIW

At least he understands that abortion is an issue the election could swing on. He is trying to take the poison out of that dart. At least he is trying.

I'm not sure that declaring it a state's issue neutralizes it. The entire Dem Party and the Left is talking about a federal, nationwide law that re-established the Roe standard and the Pro-life activists are talking about a federal law to ban or severely restrict it.

I think the best approach politically is for him to hammer home the fact that he is the only moderate on this issue. He has floated a +16 week ban and the usual exceptions. DeSantis is to his right and implemented a +6 week ban while Biden and that side wants abortion up to the point of full term and delivery. That is an extreme position and Trump is firmly between Biden and DeSantis.

It's hard for some people to think of BOM as a moderate on anything, but the fact is, on this issue (and many others), he actually is. That doesn't make me happy because it isn't where I am, but I do agree it is politically smart. I don't have anywhere else to go, but all those mushy middling independents will have to choose between abortion at anytime up to full delivery and a 16 weekish standard. FWIW
I believe it's a perfect approach. Federal Government stays out of abortion issue. Ohio voted and I didn't like the outcome. But, it's out of my hands. Let God sort it out.

You seem to be hyper focused on incest, what is your motivation around incest? Is it a big deal in your family and you want to make sure you can avoid the down generation issues?
I didn't mean to offend you if you're ok with incest. Down syndrome is not the only generational health concern that develops from incest.

About your family? Ouch.
About you and your sexual preference for children.

Jeffrey Epstein Trump GIF

Trump sees the argument in terms of where people actually are on the issue. I attribute that to the likely possibility that he’s not really all that pro life. After all he was pro choice his entire life until it become politically inconvient for him.

Pro lifers on the other hand don’t care where the general public is on the issue. They generally don’t care what the costs may be they want abortion ended….yesterday.

The IVF ruling in Alabama is going to be the gift that keeps giving for dems. It expanded the reproductive rights argument and expanded it into territory very friendly for democrats.

It's not a policy. It's a cop out. He has been defeated, so he is punting and taking no real stance. The people have been overwhelmingly voting against republican policy, so we are all good. Can you live with it is the question. It's settled here in Ohio.
50-some years of the Roe abomination didn't settle it, neither will Ohio's abomination. It's temporary, and if it's still in place in 100 years, there will be those who will be trying to undo it. That's the nature of deep moral issues.