Troy Regional

Rohbino

More than likely it's going to be somewhat windy, a little cool, and VERY rainy tomorrow. I would not expect fast times. I believe that the forecast is for > 1" of rain tomorrow.

In the St X boys thread I mentioned how I see the boys shaking out.

1. St X
2. Mason
3. In no particular order - Lebanon, West, Creek, Turpin, Tipp, and I actually believe that Loveland might have an outside shot. I thought Kings would show better at district but they've got too much to overcome.

Loveland's girls and boys seem to have improved. I don't know if they have the same coaches but it seems like they have some good things going on. The girls and boys teams are also young and have most of their varsity coming back next year so I see good things coming from them.

For the girls some team is going to be the beneficiary of Centerville's absence. Here is how I see the girls:

1. Beavercreek
2 & 3 Lakota East or Mason - only a point separated the teams at the GMC meet but both should be stronger tomorrow.
4 & 5. I'll give the edge here to the qualifiers coming from VOA, Loveland & Ursuline. Also in the mix will be Talawanda, Kings, and Springboro if the #5 can tighten up a bit. Talawanda runs very well as a pack but 3, 4, & 5 need to pull it up a bit. I don't consider Lebanon because they've got too much between their #1 and the pack.

If anyone wants to add D2 & D3, go ahead.

I have a feeling Talawanda will take the 5 spot over Ursaline. Lebanon would have been a lock for state with a 4 or 5 spot but their Number 2 runner transferred out before the season started. Glad to see Loveland doing well.

Lebanon would have been a lock for state with a 4 or 5 spot but their Number 2 runner transferred out before the season started.
Is that the one that transferred to Waynesville? I didn't see her in the Cedarville results.

The course isn't running too slowly yet. Addie Engel won girls D3 in 17:43 and her sister, Bridget, was 2nd, a little bit more than a minute back, in 18:48. The gap between them is normally about a minute so that's nothing unusual.

I have a feeling Talawanda will take the 5 spot over Ursaline. Lebanon would have been a lock for state with a 4 or 5 spot but their Number 2 runner transferred out before the season started. Glad to see Loveland doing well.
Ursuline, not Ursaline.

The course isn't running too slowly yet. Addie Engel won girls D3 in 17:43 and her sister, Bridget, was 2nd, a little bit more than a minute back, in 18:48. The gap between them is normally about a minute so that's nothing unusual.

it’s going to be a mess by the time the D1 boys run.

it’s going to be a mess by the time the D1 boys run.
They moved the schedule up. D3 boys were not supposed to go until 1:30. Probably a good move with the amount of rain.

Beavercreek girls put in a dominating performance taking places 1, 2, 4, 5, 21. Taylor Ewert with a 17:19! That would have been good enough to take 4th in the boys D3 race. East girls 2nd with 85, Loveland followed with 114, and Springboro gets the last spot with 159. Most surprising to me was the East & Mason girls. I thought that they would both show better. At this point, though, all that matters is that they moved on to state.

Is that the one that transferred to Waynesville? I didn't see her in the Cedarville results.

Due to OHSAA transfer rules She can't run state postseason events this year for CC or track. So she played varsity soccer as well this year.

Glad to see I was wrong about Talawanda, Boro deserved it. And the Loveland girls validated themselves so nice to see.

Worst conditions I’ve seen in a long time. It sure was fun though. D2 Boys Times were 30-50 seconds slower than normal, but who cares it was great seeing kids compete in adverse conditions.

What a mess! I loved it. A day about head-to-head competition, not the clock. Overall, I thought things ran pretty true to the form charts in both the DI races. The teams I expected to get out or be in the mix to get out to state finished at the front of the race. I thought for sure with the weather we'd see some random team come out of nowhere and just handle the conditions better than everyone else.

Beavercreek girls are amazing. All season long, the talk has been about them not having a strong fifth, but she was almost an individual state qualifier today! In the deepest region in the state. Here's hoping they keep the train rolling all the way to Portland in December.

Worst conditions I remember since the snow on the course in fall of ‘94?! These were much worse though... D1 boys race was a mud slick

Due to OHSAA transfer rules She can't run state postseason events this year for CC or track. So she played varsity soccer as well this year.

That's really a bad rule especially given that Lebanon is D1 & Waynesville is D2. Hopefully soccer worked out well for her. Waynesville has a decent soccer team this year.

That's really a bad rule especially given that Lebanon is D1 & Waynesville is D2. Hopefully soccer worked out well for her. Waynesville has a decent soccer team this year.

Transfer rules are rules in place from discouraging kids from jumping from program to program for no reason. OHSAA has contingencies for certain reasons. And they are reasonable.

Waynesville has a realy good XC program right now too. Their middle school is stacked and ready to go for next year. I see them being a force next year at the regional level and possibly top 5 at the state level in high school.

Transfer rules are rules in place from discouraging kids from jumping from program to program for no reason. OHSAA has contingencies for certain reasons. And they are reasonable.
When the rules are used to discourage kids from jumping program to program, I would agree that they're reasonable. If the athlete in question moved into the Waynesville SD from the Lebanon SD, though, it would not be reasonable. Waynesville SD is contiguous with Lebanon SD and does have open enrollment but I am unsure of the circumstances of the athlete that is being referred to.

When the rules are used to discourage kids from jumping program to program, I would agree that they're reasonable. If the athlete in question moved into the Waynesville SD from the Lebanon SD, though, it would not be reasonable. Waynesville SD is contiguous with Lebanon SD and does have open enrollment but I am unsure of the circumstances of the athlete that is being referred to.

I thought one of the exceptions was when you literally moved from one district to another. If that is the not the case then what in sam hell is the OHSAA doing? My family moved 4 times by the time I was 13. In our society people move on average every 5 years (old data but I am guessing that has not changed. )

If you move houses- OHSAA has no control over your eligibility rule #1. OHSAA controls only when you are not moving houses. The rule intended to stop kids for moving based on athletic only. It sounds like this girl moved and did not meet an exception or did not move and transferred into the district with open enrollment.
Exceptions:

1. Bona Fide Move-NEED of the parents to move.
2. Change in custody
3. school closes
4. self-supporting student
5. stricken from record.
6. stricken from record.
7. Bullying
8. International Baccalaureate program
9. Public school in the district from a private school.
10. District discontinues sport
11. Death in the family

Last edited:
If you move houses- OHSAA has no control over your eligibility rule #1. OHSAA controls only when you are not moving houses. The rule intended to stop kids for moving based on athletic only. It sounds like this girl moved and did not meet an exception or did not move and transferred into the district with open enrollment.
Exceptions:

1. Bona Fide Move-NEED of the parents to move.
2. Change in custody
3. school closes
4. self-supporting student
5. stricken from record.
6. stricken from record.
7. Bullying
8. International Baccalaureate program
9. Public school in the district from a private school.
10. District discontinues sport
11. Death in the family

I looked it up and Waynesville is open enrollment. I am assuming they did not move into the district or this would be a moot point.

The rule sucks but it's still the rule. Open Enrollment or a move should not matter being it's different divisions, different conferences and one one of the districts in question has lots of educational issues. But it's still the rule. The younger Erbach lead the Jr high team that has lots of talent and I believe she is a top 8 runner time wise in the state for middle school. But she plays soccer in the ECNL and I believe that will be her commitment.

But back to the rules. Sucks for her or anyone else in that situation and I think it should change because it really only hurts the athlete. Since the individual performance is more important in track and cross country than say a ball sport, they could rectify it by allowing them to run but not count their time or place for the team but to move on individually, a simple fix if it was really to eliminate "building" a championship at a school but not hurting the student athlete if you ask me.

Forgot one.......started school your freshman year in a district that you dont reside in. Decided to transfer into your actual home district.......

The rule sucks but it's still the rule. Open Enrollment or a move should not matter being it's different divisions, different conferences and one one of the districts in question has lots of educational issues. But it's still the rule. The younger Erbach lead the Jr high team that has lots of talent and I believe she is a top 8 runner time wise in the state for middle school. But she plays soccer in the ECNL and I believe that will be her commitment.

But back to the rules. Sucks for her or anyone else in that situation and I think it should change because it really only hurts the athlete. Since the individual performance is more important in track and cross country than say a ball sport, they could rectify it by allowing them to run but not count their time or place for the team but to move on individually, a simple fix if it was really to eliminate "building" a championship at a school but not hurting the student athlete if you ask me.
I love the idea of a transfer athlete running and not counting for the team but can move on individually. They could even run unattached and the school still could run 7 runners. You always want the best on the line, even if they transferred to another district.