Trivia Time - Ohio Boys' HS Discus - State Meet winners - For the throwing enthusiasts! - Thread Update

JAVMAN83

Update & Correction (in red) - 14 March

Well, for the past couple weeks I've cranking on a couple long-term projects regarding the state meet. One of them is to compile all the state meet winners of each class/division in each and every event into one giant Excel spreadsheet. The goal is to disseminate this widely so many people will have copies when I depart this venture of earth.

As such, I'm working on wrapping up the boys' throwing event winners. The retired hammer throw & javelin throw winners of the early 20th century were easy. I've just wrapped up the boys' discus winners from 1908-present, and I thought I might throw (pun intended) this trivia question out to the community at large for your amusement.

So, across all divisions/classes, there have been 35 boys who have won multiple state titles in the discus. However, of those 35 boys, only THREE (3) have ever won a state title THREE (3) times in the discus. Without doing research (no cheating, please), can anyone name those three individuals and the schools they threw for?

Hint: The first two boys graduated 64 years apart.

P.S. - I'll release a similar question for the boys' shot put in the next week or two.

Last edited:

Another hint: The 2nd boy to accomplish a 3-peat is also on the all-time top-50 list I posted on another thread. I've reposted that list here.

Attachments

• Ohio All-Time Lists - Men - Outdoor - Discus Throw - Top 50.pdf
    55.8 KB · Views: 60
No guesses yet, so I'll give you the 2nd boy to score 3 consecutive wins in the boys' discus. I'll give some more time for the 1st to achieve 3 consecutive wins.

The 2nd boy was Cortland Lakeview's Steve James who won 3 straight titles in the Class AA (Division II) discus from 1973-1975 with winning throws of 175' 7" ('73), 170' 11" ('74), and 179' 9" ('75), consecutively.

Now, who was the first? Hint: He's from the southern, central part of Ohio, and won a total of 7 state titles.

My first guess was to say Jason Caldwell, but I don't think it's him. My last year of coaching, I remember this kid from Eastwood was heaving it out as a sophomore. I think his last name was Welch, tossing it out in 190 foot range then as a sophomore. Is it him?

My first guess was to say Jason Caldwell, but I don't think it's him. My last year of coaching, I remember this kid from Eastwood was heaving it out as a sophomore. I think his last name was Welch, tossing it out in 190 foot range then as a sophomore. Is it him?
Thank you. You've corrected an error of mine based on mis-reading the results (2008) as they were printed. Justin Welch is indeed the THIRD thrower to have 3 wins in the discus (2008-10) in Division II. I stand corrected thanks to you! I thank you. I've updated the initial post to reflect the correction.

That said, who was the first?

Last edited:
To finish up this thread, the FIRST Ohio boy to win THREE discus titles was Hillsboro's Harry Roads, who won successive titles with the 2 kg discus (collegiate/international) from 1909-1911. He also won three successive titles with the 12 lb hammer in those same years, and also won the shot put in 1910. In total, SEVEN state title went to Mr. Roads. He was also the 2nd HS boy to throw 150 feet with the 12 lb hammer, the first being Washington Court House' Walter McCoy in 1907. Mr. Roads later competed for Ohio State.

Thread update below

Last edited:
Update: Apox upon me! I mis-transcribed the 1991 Division I discus results. As a result, there are FOUR boys who have won THREE discus titles in their HS careers.

Add the name of Lodi Cloverleaf's Cory Carlson, having won the Div. I title from 1991-93! Congratulations to Mr. Carlson.

So, congratulations to all four athletes, Harry Roads, Steve James, Cory Carlson, and Justin Welch for a rare 3-peat!