Tri-Village Question on score

ex_dc_atc

I was asked over the weekend on a girls basketball score for Tri-Village vs Tri-County North. Can anyone confirm the score?

Last edited:

D4fan

Tri Village has been known to do this type of thing. Seems they could have pulled starters midway through the third quarter when it looked like North might be a bit overmatched. Thank goodness for the running clock or they may have made it to 130 -x like their boys did to Ansonia a few years back. Keeps the rivalry fresh.

They showed good sportsmanship not to beat them by triple digits.🤨

D4fan

Tri Village used to have a coach Gray back in 2010. When they played Jefferson in the opening round of the sectionals he kept the starters in long enough to build to a final score of 95-32. One sophomore on the team had 61 of those points. When asked about the score after the game ( they did pull the starters in the third) he said " they thought they were good enough to vote themselves a number one seed over us, we disagreed ". In that case I agree mostly with the Tri Village coach, you want to say your the best, we have no problem showing you otherwise.

winbypin

Wow. That's a big margin of victory.

I am sure the young ladies at TCN are doing just fine today however.

Mr. Slippery

Most lopsided game my school ever partook in was 111-7. It took place a little before my time but was the perfect storm of my school's best regular season teams ever vs. a very small Christian school operated by a particular church 2.5 miles down the street. The school may have even closed after that year. All 13 players who appeared in the game scored. 9 players scored at least 8 pts. with the leading scorer finishing with 14. I'll have to see if the old scorebook is laying around somewhere to look at the score by quarter and whether or not starters played in the 4th quarter. I may also see the person who coached the team that year and ask what he remembers about it.

BigK72

You can only play 5 quarters a night
Tri-Village’s JV played Tipp City, and they all played in that game. So, they could only play 1 varsity quarter.

JVs played as much as legally possible and because they don’t have a huge bench period, 2 varsity starts have to stay in the whole game no matter what. Heck, the Sagaster girl didn’t attempt a single shot in the 2nd half. She’s only played meaningful 4th quarter minutes in 4-5 games this year

Are these girls supposed to play with only 3? Are they supposed to hold the ball for 3-4-5 minutes straight? What is the solution? Every girl played the maximum number of quarters they could, their best players stopped shooting and allowed the subs/JVs to do so.

North hasn’t won a game this year, and they’re very young. I think there was a total of 5-6 fans for them in the gym that night, and I heard a few of them talking about how well TV acted given the circumstances. The players and fans cheered for TCN when they finally did score.

Does it suck when something like this happens? Sure, but let’s not act like TV did something bad. It could have been way worse.

They beat Houston earlier this year 101-36, and some people were complaining. TV tried to cancel the game this year because they knew they were going to be good and Houston young and inexperienced, but Houston chose to keep it.

The best thing for girls basketball is to increase the number of quarters per night.

ex_dc_atc

You can only play 5 quarters a night
Tri-Village’s JV played Tipp City, and they all played in that game. So, they could only play 1 varsity quarter.

JVs played as much as legally possible and because they don’t have a huge bench period, 2 varsity starts have to stay in the whole game no matter what. Heck, the Sagaster girl didn’t attempt a single shot in the 2nd half. She’s only played meaningful 4th quarter minutes in 4-5 games this year

Are these girls supposed to play with only 3? Are they supposed to hold the ball for 3-4-5 minutes straight? What is the solution? Every girl played the maximum number of quarters they could, their best players stopped shooting and allowed the subs/JVs to do so.

North hasn’t won a game this year, and they’re very young. I think there was a total of 5-6 fans for them in the gym that night, and I heard a few of them talking about how well TV acted given the circumstances. The players and fans cheered for TCN when they finally did score.

Does it suck when something like this happens? Sure, but let’s not act like TV did something bad. It could have been way worse.

They beat Houston earlier this year 101-36, and some people were complaining. TV tried to cancel the game this year because they knew they were going to be good and Houston young and inexperienced, but Houston chose to keep it.

The best thing for girls basketball is to increase the number of quarters per night.
This is actually a really good point on the amount of quarters played. To be honest, I don’t have an opinion one way or another. I was simply asked about it like I should have an opinion, but I didn’t know anything about the actual game itself. I understand how lopsided wins and losses can happen, but the quarter limit is a great response for anyone that’s questioning how it does happen. Often more to it than simply seeing the score in the paper the next day.

BigK72

I
This is actually a really good point on the amount of quarters played. To be honest, I don’t have an opinion one way or another. I was simply asked about it like I should have an opinion, but I didn’t know anything about the actual game itself. I understand how lopsided wins and losses can happen, but the quarter limit is a great response for anyone that’s questioning how it does happen. Often more to it than simply seeing the score in the paper the next day.
I agree, and to be honest I was just annoyed because I’ve seen/heard several people complain about the score, and it was getting old. Asking like you are is one thing. Complaining and calling the girls unsportsmanlike is another

BlessEmAll

No one was calling the girls unsportsmanlike, but the coaches. Why not stop the game at that point?
personally, I wasn’t shocked. Girls basketball always has these scores.

ex_dc_atc

No one was calling the girls unsportsmanlike, but the coaches. Why not stop the game at that point?
personally, I wasn’t shocked. Girls basketball always has these scores.
Ironically I’ve never thought about this in basketball, but comparing it to high school football, I wonder if they would ever consider a mercy rule similar to what they have in football? I’m not sure if that would be a popular suggestion, but I wonder if maybe it would be something that can help with some of the issues that teams run into?

BigK72

Someone said they did start a running clock at some point. I didn’t notice it, so I don’t know for sure.

BucksFan937

Running clocks are only used for tournament games per the OHSAA site. It is to be used in the 2nd half when a team has a 35 point lead.