Trenton Edgewood vs Anderson

There is a lot of consistency in their record. Saying they “cruise through” in most years is not an insult to the SWBL, rather just honest assessment. They will have some good games vs Franklin, Ross and I guess Bellbrook but those teams don’t have the constancy that Edgewood has shown in the last 10 years. Edgewood is going to need some battles if they want to have a chance to improve and move on in DII playoffs. WW, Anderson, Kings and LaSalle aren’t going anywhere.

Yes I agree with you. Edgewood needs to seek stiffer competition in order to improve. I know coaches and parents like easy wins but weakness is exposed against tougher competition. The defense didn't seem capable of making any adjustments last night.

Watching the cougars struggle against the pass last week doesn’t give me the best feeling that they will be able to hang with Anderson’s no huddle passing attack. If Piqua’s QB had just a tad bit more accuracy that game could have been a run away victory for Piqua. The cougars are gonna have to get Valerio out of the box and rely on him to make some plays in the defensive backfield. It looks like the rain is supposed to simmer down a few hours before the game so the cougars could be in for a long night if they haven’t fixed last weeks issued defending the pass.
missing their best 3 Corners was going to make it a tall task. i feared playing a passing team all year because we were so thin in that area.

Yes I agree with you. Edgewood needs to seek stiffer competition in order to improve. I know coaches and parents like easy wins but weakness is exposed against tougher competition. The defense didn't seem capable of making any adjustments last night.
Don't make generalities about the parents many of us would have been fine playing tougher competition. I was excited about this year but the injury bug hit hard and decimated the corner position for us. We had some young guys step up but then they were injured too. Anderson's offense is FUN to watch.

What does Edgewood look like going forward? There are some strong teams in the SWBL, may not cruise through like they expect.
Edgewood has a lot of talent coming up and played a lot of young guys this year filling in for injury, and they played well for the most part. I know we had to do something but I would have like to find a conference with some bigger schools to get us prepared for post season.

What does Edgewood look like going forward? There are some strong teams in the SWBL, may not cruise through like they expect.
The SWOC is not really a strong conference. Heck Mt Healthy and Northwest actually had to forfeit contest due to lack of players in some girls sports and NW canceled a whole basketball season....

As Edgewood, Ross and it appears Talawanda move on the 3 teams left will be also looking for a new home.

Harrison may be stuck as an independent (like WW was) as I don't see them getting an invite to the ECC or GMC unless teams drop. . Mt Healthy and NW could get in the CMAC where they would dominate boys and girls sports.

The SWOC is not really a strong conference. Heck Mt Healthy and Northwest actually had to forfeit contest due to lack of players in some girls sports and NW canceled a whole basketball season....

As Edgewood, Ross and it appears Talawanda move on the 3 teams left will be also looking for a new home.

Harrison may be stuck as an independent (like WW was) as I don't see them getting an invite to the ECC or GMC unless teams drop. . Mt Healthy and NW could get in the CMAC where they would dominate boys and girls sports.
It hasn't always been that way. The league used to be very competitive. Those Edgewood-Harrison games used to be epic. Ross could trade punches just lacked consistency. Mt Healthy was good then Yordy left. Northwest had some years before they got that idiot at the helm.

So yes declining for sure and a good time to get out. The lack of numbers at Mt Healthy and Northwest in various sports and underclassmen teams was probably a major reason. I generally like the move but Franklin, Ross, Bellbrook, and Monroe are not preparing you for a deep DII run. Hopefully a few Valley View games and I heard Badin is back will help.

I don't know. Gotta get some more dudes to play football. Start early, use the playbook, young kids are smart, let them play.

It hasn't always been that way. The league used to be very competitive. Those Edgewood-Harrison games used to be epic. Ross could trade punches just lacked consistency. Mt Healthy was good then Yordy left. Northwest had some years before they got that idiot at the helm.

So yes declining for sure and a good time to get out. The lack of numbers at Mt Healthy and Northwest in various sports and underclassmen teams was probably a major reason. I generally like the move but Franklin, Ross, Bellbrook, and Monroe are not preparing you for a deep DII run. Hopefully a few Valley View games and I heard Badin is back will help.

I don't know. Gotta get some more dudes to play football. Start early, use the playbook, young kids are smart, let them play.
Initially maybe not, but all of those communities are growing and I think within 5 years the big side of the SWBL will be a DII league and if the coaching situations at Ross, Bellbrook, and Monroe remain stable those programs will all be solid competition going forward. The schedule in the SWBL is set up for a couple of OOC games and then a couple of crossovers which I think is a waste for the most part but it helps the AD's with scheduling. I look for the large side of the SWBL to be very similar to the old MML in the not to distant future from a competition standpoint which will help all the bigger schools prepare for a run in the playoffs. Bottom line though, it will always take a special group at any of those schools to make a run at programs like Winton Woods and Lasalle to win the region in DII.

More dudes to play is the key part. Talent beats schedule every time. Establish a good feeder program and programs can be competitive.

Teams play their schedule, coaches coach to the talent they have to get the most out of the team.
Many say Kings, Springfield, WEST, Wyoming etc. are not "battle tested" because of their schedule. That may be true to a point but, they are where they are because of the talent and coaching they have.

The GCL recruits well and they have too because they play a tough schedule and, when they do not get the talent they cannot compete or make deep runs EX: LaSalle, ST X this year. It amazing when one drives around Colerain, Harrison, Ross and SE Indiana (East Central area) and see the all of the Elder and LaSalle signs. ST X seems to hit the FF, Forest park, Sycamore area hard and Moeller signs go as far north as Wilmington...

As far as the SWOC schools Ross, has issues with funding that could impact them long term, Harrison is growing and will be DI in a few years with all the families flocking there. They have to find a larger league in Ohio because they are competitive in other sports and applying to Indiana IHSA is not a long term option. Edgewood will be fine in the new league. Mt Healthy will most likely end up in the CMAC. NW is the odd guy out. If there is no merger between the schools they will drift off into mediocrity in the CMAC as well.

I think they did all they could do. This will be the norm for them if they can’t figure out how to get more dudes out of the halls and on to the field.
They should cruise through the SWBL in most years but a couple of playoff games is all they can hope for if they don’t examine what’s going on.

The current staff’s record is excellent when you look at their body of work since Clemmons has been HC. I think any district would be super pleased with the record and league championships. However, knowing these guys and the community, I know that they want more. Scout team helping the varsity is an issue when you don’t dress enough players. Former Edgewood players will attest to this. Also, some more athletes would help the OC open up the playbook a little more. I mean, I get it if you have three dudes near or over 1000 yards in the backfield run the dang ball, but you close yourself in against better competition. They had the QB to get it done this year obviously, but a couple more big receivers would have made a huge difference.

Edgewood is blessed to have the culture that they have. Pushing the wing T all the way down to the youngest pee wees is a luxury for the HS staff. I think if they tighten up what’s going on down at that level and clean up the junior high program a bit they might keep more players involved later. Definitely more coaches for 7th and 8th. They lose players down there because the lack of time to coach them properly.
This response is obviously from a Edgewood coach, anyone that was at that game or seen film is probably still trying to figure out if the DC fell asleep up in the booth or maybe had some sort of medical emergency nobody knew about because it was pretty obvious no adjustments were made that had a positive affect in the least bit.

This response is obviously from a Edgewood coach, anyone that was at that game or seen film is probably still trying to figure out if the DC fell asleep up in the booth or maybe had some sort of medical emergency nobody knew about because it was pretty obvious no adjustments were made that had a positive affect in the least bit.
Sorry not a coach. The Edgewood DC is one of the best coaches around. Adjustments are difficult when the cupboard is bare due to injuries. That's why I said i think they did all they could do and need more dudes.

Sorry not a coach. The Edgewood DC is one of the best coaches around. Adjustments are difficult when the cupboard is bare due to injuries. That's why I said i think they did all they could do and need more dudes.
And people are always criticizing coaches too, especially in good ol-fashioned arse whippings. No coaching is going to get you to compete in those games when a team is physically better than you.

I remember one of my first year's coaching, we were playing an old school wishbone team down in the mountains of Eastern KY. To say they beat the crap out of us is an understatement. Well, during that game, our coaches headsets were picking up our school's internet radio broadcast from the next room over in the booth, we could hear the entire commentary, even though they couldn't hear us. Well, let me tell you, those commentators were calling out our defensive staff left and right, commenting on "they've made no adjustments." When in reality we made about every adjustment imaginable, including putting in an 8 man defensive front, putting a guy in every gap on the line. The other team was just physically better than us by that much. If people who pretend to know football would actually pay attention a little more, they would actually see some of the in-game adjustments that teams make, because there's quite a few that each team makes every game.

Too many people claim to know football but couldn't recognize a defensive front change, blocking scheme change, or even recognize if a team is in zone or man coverage. They see simple things like..... "They can't stop the run, why don't they do something different?" They have and are doing things differently. I'm sure Edgewood tried many different things on defense...... but it didn't matter. As I stated earlier, that no-huddle is impossible to prep for...... you have to be significantly better athletically to beat Anderson, and have to get out to a lead quick, and then slow your own offense down to a painstaking pace to keep Anderson off the field. Edgewood saw that first hand last week.

I was at the game and agree with you. I didn't know they were dealing with injuries, so maybe that's why they were limited on adjusting. I heard some rumblings in the stands about player parents coaching. Is DC a parent?

I was at the game and agree with you. I didn't know they were dealing with injuries, so maybe that's why they were limited on adjusting. I heard some rumblings in the stands about player parents coaching. Is DC a parent?
The game is over now so going back and forth won’t do much good, there were a couple injured players but that wasn’t where adjustments needed to be made. They were trying to get a rush with 3 DL against a big 5 man front. Didn’t bring any additional pressure from LBs giving a very talented QB all day to throw the ball. There wasn’t anyone covering the middle of the field. It was a complete mess.

The game is over now so going back and forth won’t do much good, there were a couple injured players but that wasn’t where adjustments needed to be made. They were trying to get a rush with 3 DL against a big 5 man front. Didn’t bring any additional pressure from LBs giving a very talented QB all day to throw the ball. There wasn’t anyone covering the middle of the field. It was a complete mess.
Dropping 8 is typically the most successful thing to do against Anderson. They run too many quick hitting passes that your additional rushers almost never get there and don't have an impact.

Anderson put up a lot of points on WW and Kings so you shouldn’t feel bad. There is not much scheming at the high school level that slows down their air raid.

BUT if you can’t score often against their defense, therein the trouble lies…..

Lol Loveland’s a mystery to me. Kids must not like football over there anymore.
Mystery to me too. I’m not involved anymore (except a little social media). Hard to watch previous 3 years, a little better this year but they’re at the point of celebrating mediocrity.

I wasn't aware of these injuries, either. I know of one CB that had season ending surgery, however, the other starters were out there. Edgewood has NEVER defended the pass well. It definitely isn't lack of talent, it's coaching & scheme.

There is a lot of consistency in their record. Saying they “cruise through” in most years is not an insult to the SWBL, rather just honest assessment. They will have some good games vs Franklin, Ross and I guess Bellbrook but those teams don’t have the constancy that Edgewood has shown in the last 10 years. Edgewood is going to need some battles if they want to have a chance to improve and move on in DII playoffs. WW, Anderson, Kings and LaSalle aren’t going anywhere.
Since Jenkins took over in 17' for Basinger, BB has been the better program compare to Franklin. Can't say I have enough knowledge of Ross to say anything. (Playoff records in the time frame BB : 6-4 VS. Franklin : 1-4)