Track and Field: D3 Region 9

Mr. Slippery

I was told several weeks ago by people at Massillon Perry that they are not hosting the D3 regional track and field meet. AFAIK, the issue on Perry's end was an inability to round up enough workers for last year's meet, including not enough workers to charge for parking. Not holding the regional at Perry was confirmed a few days ago by a local track and field official, so that part of the story has been well established.

What I have not heard is the new site of that regional meet. From a discussion I had with 1 of NE Ohio's OATCCC reps a few years ago, I know they would prefer to keep the meet somewhere near the I-77 corridor, preferably in the Canton area in order to best accommodate the travel situation of all the schools that this regional meet traditionally serves. Has anybody heard anything about where this meet is going? I've been waiting for the minutes to be posted from the OHSAA Board meeting held on Jan. 12 in hopes that an official decision was announced, but those minutes have still not been posted.

Last edited:

psycho_dad

I was told awhile ago that Ravenna was going to host a Regional, but I was not told which one. I assumed it to be D3.

Mr. Slippery

I was told awhile ago that Ravenna was going to host a Regional, but I was not told which one. I assumed it to be D3.
You're probably right about it being D3, unless Austintown no longer wants to shoulder the burden of hosting regionals 4 days in a row.

Did anyone hear anything last weekend at the coaches' clinic? Nothing was mentioned in the OHSAA Board minutes from Jan. 12. It'll eventually be in the 2023 Tournament Regulations, but those have not been posted yet and probably won't be for awhile.

ENA2

Looks like the Division III Regional (#9) will be at Norwayne High School. So Nowayne will probably host a District and Regional meet on consecutive weeks. It's a nice track/facility, with more seating than Perry. Parking could be an issue and the homestretch often has a headwind where Perry (and Fairless) usually had a tailwind for the 100 and straightaway hurdles. Field events are solid venues with the high jump behind their concession stand and outside the stadium and PV and LJ on each end of the football field. the shot/Discus are down the hill on the west end of the stadium, but can be viewed from that end of the track. Will still be a bit of a haul for schools in the far NE and some of those eastern district teams, but finding suitable facilities who are willing to host is getting tough.