TRAC 2021

EIB - unsure if you caught this one...

Never should have went away.
There is money in vocational education. Why TPS let macomber go away and send the various vocational programs to various high schools, I will never figure it out. I am doubling down on this after visiting penta county vocational school. Wow. To think that TPS could have had the same....

There is money in vocational education. Why TPS let macomber go away and send the various vocational programs to various high schools, I will never figure it out. I am doubling down on this after visiting penta county vocational school. Wow. To think that TPS could have had the same....
EIB pointed out a great success story in Indianapolis. I will let him expound.

I believe it was Arsenal Tech?

Also think about Cass Tech when it comes to athletics. Jeesh. A public that can draw from throughout the city. Kids learning real life skills that are extremely needed? Who'd a thunk?

Thanks IB. Checks in the mail. ;)

The one in Indy is a Polytech. Vocational that still prepares for college. Kind a like Macomber. :) I know 3 PhDs from my graduating class at Macomber and I didn't know a lot of people. Purdue Polytechnic HS. I haven't followed much this last year, it could have all gone to crap by now.

Originally proposed by Purdue Pres Mitch Daniels ( a Princeton Ivy that truly understands "compassionate conservative" ) to address the difficulty in finding Indiana minorities and first generation lower economic with the qualifications for Purdue. Minorities on campus have a slightly higher average GPA but numbers were not representative of state population. There's a lot in that sentence. In this day and age of major universities trying to be national universities, he is still focused on Purdue's mandate as a land grant school. Something I'd take a shot and say OSU has forgotten in their focus on being "Michigan." Purdue is on about the 8th year with no tuition raise and 6th with no housing raise. (perhaps a mistake in hindsight since our new government is looking to pay all those less responsible universities their defaulted tuitions).

Instead of the normal grab government money solutions that aren't, he decided and got on board the necessaries to build their own PUBLIC high school in one of the lowest economic sections of Indy. Then he learned the difference between private and public. lol Imagine dealing with state education bureucracy. Still the guy doesn't waste time. Took him not one year from concept to implemention. No building? Put it in a warehouse. Need a sponser for a charter? Make it part of IPS.

Because it was a charter to IPS, they had to open lottery enroll. They still made 60% demographic they were looking for. Over 90% of the Freshman class matriculated to Sophmore year, which anyone familiar with urban education knows how that beats the odds. After one year, Indy asked and was provided a second school, which I believe is downtown. I do not know the matriculation numbers from last year but I know, they have already placed their 3rd school in South Bend. Two more years to see if the experiment pays off.

Dr. Daniels was first to open an endowment with his own money to help pay for the education of those that graduate and choose to enroll at Purdue. Alums have bought in.

Another program he brought in (original thought goes to a small college, I'm ashamed I've forgotten which one), is the idea that a student instead of borrowing from a bank, borrows from the school and agrees to repay a % of their income after graduation. This shows trust in the value of the diploma and lowers the payment at the beginning of the graduates' career. Internally funded but again, Alums bought in. That program is only in 3rd or 4th year, I do not believe it has gotten to the payback stage.

Well that's the rosy picture. As I started, I haven't followed much this last year to see if there are warts. The intention was good for sure.

Crystal Ellis was Super at the time I believe. I wasn't in Toledo and it was harder to follow stories pre-internet. I am aware the local business community made it clear they were making a mistake. I've heard enough interesting stories behind the closure to fit just about any agenda and all believable. The truth of things, is moot at this point. My understanding is that there were more than a few ex-Macmen involved in that Penta concept.

Actually, Macomber's demise started much earlier than 1990 in my opinion. In 1976 Then TPS Superintendent Frank Dick had Skill Centers built on several schools. All of them carried a variety of vocational classes and each school had a specialty. Woodward had a print shop, Waite had Auto body repair and Start had electrical construction. In addition, Woodward, Libbey, Rogers and Devilbiss all had restaurants that were available to students and staff. Macomber was a gem in this city and with the lack of future numbers the trades, many vocational schools are needed.
The Penta Career Center is one of the most impressive buildings that I have ever seen. I'm told they have over 1400 students.

Thanks IB. Checks in the mail. ;)

The one in Indy is a Polytech. Vocational that still prepares for college. Kind a like Macomber. :) I know 3 PhDs from my graduating class at Macomber and I didn't know a lot of people. Purdue Polytechnic HS. I haven't followed much this last year, it could have all gone to crap by now.

Originally proposed by Purdue Pres Mitch Daniels ( a Princeton Ivy that truly understands "compassionate conservative" ) to address the difficulty in finding Indiana minorities and first generation lower economic with the qualifications for Purdue. Minorities on campus have a slightly higher average GPA but numbers were not representative of state population. There's a lot in that sentence. In this day and age of major universities trying to be national universities, he is still focused on Purdue's mandate as a land grant school. Something I'd take a shot and say OSU has forgotten in their focus on being "Michigan." Purdue is on about the 8th year with no tuition raise and 6th with no housing raise. (perhaps a mistake in hindsight since our new government is looking to pay all those less responsible universities their defaulted tuitions).

Instead of the normal grab government money solutions that aren't, he decided and got on board the necessaries to build their own PUBLIC high school in one of the lowest economic sections of Indy. Then he learned the difference between private and public. lol Imagine dealing with state education bureucracy. Still the guy doesn't waste time. Took him not one year from concept to implemention. No building? Put it in a warehouse. Need a sponser for a charter? Make it part of IPS.

Because it was a charter to IPS, they had to open lottery enroll. They still made 60% demographic they were looking for. Over 90% of the Freshman class matriculated to Sophmore year, which anyone familiar with urban education knows how that beats the odds. After one year, Indy asked and was provided a second school, which I believe is downtown. I do not know the matriculation numbers from last year but I know, they have already placed their 3rd school in South Bend. Two more years to see if the experiment pays off.

Dr. Daniels was first to open an endowment with his own money to help pay for the education of those that graduate and choose to enroll at Purdue. Alums have bought in.

Another program he brought in (original thought goes to a small college, I'm ashamed I've forgotten which one), is the idea that a student instead of borrowing from a bank, borrows from the school and agrees to repay a % of their income after graduation. This shows trust in the value of the diploma and lowers the payment at the beginning of the graduates' career. Internally funded but again, Alums bought in. That program is only in 3rd or 4th year, I do not believe it has gotten to the payback stage.

Well that's the rosy picture. As I started, I haven't followed much this last year to see if there are warts. The intention was good for sure.
If Macomber gets resurrected it needs to happen similar to this model. It needs to be industry driven. It can be under the TPS for all I care but TPS should not be the ones driving its curriculum or the lone entity on its purse strings (GM/Jeep/First Solar/BP/OI/Rudolph Libbe/Lathrop).

Screenshot_20210112-121429.png

I guess you guys were right all along! Rest easy TRAC, you were too good to exist ?

I only hope all the schools get what they need, interesting to see how this will play out for everyone (I hope the battle of Sylvania will stay intact).

Here's the skinny I've gathered...I will add I am not 100% on all the schools and breakdown but you get the gist of it.

Big/Medium NLL

Perrysburg
Anthony Wayne
Whitmer
Findlay
Clay
Fremont

Springfield
Northview
Southview
BG
Maumee
Napoleon

Not sure about NBC but being speculated they could be the "small division".

Genoa
Eastwood
Lake
Otsego
Fostoria
Rossford

Woodmore - SBC
Elmwood - BVC

Last edited:
Someone on Strack’s tweet said that these changes will take place winter of 2022, so everyone gets at least a year to figure out what to do. Hopefully we get one last hurrah for TRAC football.

Props to IB and everyone else who caught it wayyy before it was actually announced.

Here's the skinny I've gathered...I will add I am not 100% on all the schools and breakdown but you get the gist of it.

Big/Medium NLL

Perrysburg
Anthony Wayne
Whitmer
Findlay
Clay
Fremont

Springfield
Northview
Southview
BG
Maumee
Napoleon

Not sure about NBC but being speculated they could be the "small division".

Genoa
Eastwood
Lake
Otsego
Fostoria
Rossford

Woodmore - SBC
Elmwood - BVC
No Defiance this time around?

Actually, Macomber's demise started much earlier than 1990 in my opinion. In 1976 Then TPS Superintendent Frank had Skill Centers built on several schools. All of them carried a variety of vocational classes and each school had a specialty. Woodward had a print shop, Waite had Auto body repair and Start had electrical construction. In addition, Woodward, Libbey, Rogers and Devilbiss all had restaurants that were available to students and staff. Macomber was a gem in this city and with the lack of future numbers the trades, many vocational schools are needed.
The Penta Career Center is one of the most impressive buildings that I have ever seen. I'm told they have over 1400 students.
Had some experience/knowledge of the Macomber program in the 80s, early 90s during Chuck Webb/JJ era. Never knew why it shut down but remember a coach telling us that it was like free reign to transfer around up there. No one really wanted to turn in another because then ya would get blackballed and never get a recruit again.

but I digress.

No Defiance this time around?

I have no inside knowledge so these are just my thoughts about what may have happened.

Either we showed interest, but after some thought realized a stable league that we fit well in outside of travel is something we couldn't give up for a hodge podge of schools that aren't and likely never will be totally happy.

Or based on the Bryan/Wauseon rumor that had come up, we may have been VERY interested in something involving the 2 of them and Napoleon. But if Bryan and Wauseon balked as historic members of the NWOAL, that may have taken a lot of our incentive out of it. At the end of the day for us, what's the difference between travel to Toledo or Lima besides better roads?

There we go. "At least one WBL school" and he mentions the NWOAL.

Defiance, Bryan, and Wauseon would definitely all seem to be in play.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210112-161329_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20210112-161329_Twitter.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 37
I
Doesn't sound like it, unless there's a few missing pieces to the puzzle. Maumee dropping down to the "possible" third tier would probably help them, but make for an odd number of teams. Defiance could then take Maumee's spot in Tier 2.
I heard defiance was out too

I have no inside knowledge so these are just my thoughts about what may have happened.

Either we showed interest, but after some thought realized a stable league that we fit well in outside of travel is something we couldn't give up for a hodge podge of schools that aren't and likely never will be totally happy.

Or based on the Bryan/Wauseon rumor that had come up, we may have been VERY interested in something involving the 2 of them and Napoleon. But if Bryan and Wauseon balked as historic members of the NWOAL, that may have taken a lot of our incentive out of it. At the end of the day for us, what's the difference between travel to Toledo or Lima besides better roads?
I heard that defiance was out too. A big thing that was cited was the history and tradition of the wbl, which caused the powers to be at defiance to back off as they were worried about community backlash

I heard that defiance was out too. A big thing that was cited was the history and tradition of the wbl, which caused the powers to be at defiance to back off as they were worried about community backlash

If that's the case, that's a sad reason. I'm not sure there would be THAT much backlash if the result was being reuinted with our 2 historical rivals within 20 miles. If there was, they'd get over it.

As a fan, I don't care either way. The WBL is a great home, the travel will be crazy no matter where we go...I can take or leave either option. Napoleon and Bryan in a league sounds great, but we're looking at being the outlier no matter what. I just fear jumping and having this blow up in 5 years with us left with nowhere to go. We got left out in the 50s and 60s after being booted from the NWOAL and we can't afford to do that again. The WBL saved us so I could see us not leaving unless forced. Then again, 24 to Holland or Maumee or Whitehouse or 24 to 6 to BG is a better trip than anyway to Kenton, Celina, etc.

1610487668315.png

Why did he note the TAAC? Are there any teams trying to leave/join it?

Also, what are some possible scenarios for the privates? Could they become a league affiliate for some sports and be independent in other ones? Interesting to see what they do