Top HS Player to enter G League rather than attend college

It will be interesting to see if kids start making decisions based o the uncertainty of COVID-19. I know we're a long ways off but guys are already losing their summer training/conditioning with the programs. Who knows when they'll be able to go back to school or resume practice. That $125K sounds pretty good in strange times.

All it takes is for a couple to choose that route and it works out for them. Saw reports the G League will also possibly allow bigger contracts for some top prospects.

I think in less than 10 years this will make college even more 'even' across the board with more of the top dogs going this route.

...and make some of the crooked programs get even more creative in coercing top prospects.....

It really could get bizarre with the new NCAA guidelines on the way that makes it OK for players to get paid, or at least profit off of their likenesses. I can easily see a rich alumnus offering to pay a top QB prospect or PG prospect $100,00+ to "use their likeness in an advertisement". What would stop an alumnus from taking a team photo of the Buckeyes, for example, and turn it into a calendar. Then could they pay everyone $100,000 because he is using their likenesses?

It really could get bizarre with the new NCAA guidelines on the way that makes it OK for players to get paid, or at last profit off of their likenesses. I can easily see a rich alumnus offering to pay a top QB prospect or PG prospect $100,00+ to "use their likeness in an advertisement". What would stop an alumnus from taking a team photo of the Buckeyes and turn it into a calendar. Then could they pay everyone $100,000 because he is using their likenesses?
THought i had read there was going to be limits on how much for that stuff........but i could be wrong

I am 100% for this. Let these kids go take the money in the G League instead of making a mockery of going to college for one year, being scared of getting hurt and taking money under the table from unscrupulous coaches and boosters. This is the best thing to happen to college basketball in years.

Necessity??? Please explain.

I'll bite. Let's just say school wasn't going to be his thing. I think many worried he'd have some issues at the college level which may hurt his Draft status. Not necessarily his game but the things off the court. Then the G League announcement. Once it was brought up that his size might be an issue in the G League and that his team would have no reason to assist in his development...he took the year off to work for New Balance. So far seems to be the right decision for that one individual.

It will be interesting to see what the NCAA does to fight back.

I think this is good . . . just like top picks in MLB draft out of high school. Get $500,000 plus $125,000 to cover future college cost. Obviously it is for the elite of the elite but I don't see how this hurts college basketball. Looking back does anyone care that Garnett, Kobe etc didn't play college basketball.

Just heard a good take on ESPN, shocking, i know....

Going this route may not be beneficial to many players strictly on the marketing end of the spectrum.
When they go to these big time college programs they are going to be playing in front of full arena's, on TV pretty much every game, and have the NCAA, the colllege, and conference promoting you which could = big time $$ in marketing from the onset.

That is going to have to be the ploy by college coaches to get these top prospects. They may give up some $$ up front, but make up for it, and then some, when they declare pro.

Not everyone makes it at the next level (pros). Unfortunately many will be on the streets in a couple years. Kobe , LeBron .... aren’t good examples. They are the exceptions. The one and done and ,soon, the none and done will be fool’s gold to many.

As I read it, potential one million shoe contract this year, and 500k salary. Tell me, if you knew you would be financially secure would you go to college?

I bet more guys go this route or the Australian/ Europe route and pull down 500k or similar.

Few players would actually be giving up marketing dollars as that niche is extremely narrow. I hope college gets back to 4 year players with academics being the ultimate goal. Let the "super" athletes go start earning right out of high school.

I don't mind this. Players going to college for 1+ semester just wasn't that appealing as a sport. I would rather those that think they are NBA ready just go straight to the NBA (if they would allow it) or go into this G League. It should make college basketball more interesting and let the kids who can make money cash in on their skills.

I recall the Australia/New Zealand pro leagues plan to go hard after American kids who want to bypass the one year rule before they can go NBA. The kid would get paid, get pro coaching and live life as a pro for a year before heading to the NBA.

If the NBA really doesn't just want to start drafting high school kids (which they really don't), my suggestion would be for the NBA to establish a special league for the elite high school players. They could form an 8 team league where they would invite 100 of the top kids to join. They could even have a draft for marketing purposes. They could have a 20-30 game season against each other with playoffs in January/ February when the NBA season is sort of treading water. The winning team could split $1M. This would give the NBA teams the chance to see these players develop against consistently top talent. The draft and the games could be televised which would give the fans some familiarity with the players come the NBA draft. If the NBA didn't want the teams to commit to these players before the draft, they could work a deal with the shoe companies to sponsor the teams; good marketing for them! And, if they wanted to avoid travel costs, etc., you could even have all the teams centered in Las Vegas. And since the NBA is leery about a franchise in LV, this would postpone that issue. Of course, it is problematic to give a bunch of 18-year olds money and turn them loose on the streets of Vegas, but I am SURE the NBA could find a way to overlook the morality of that decision! It'll never happen, but it's a thought!

Last edited:
If the NBA really doesn't just want to start drafting high school kids (which they really don't), my suggestion would be for the NBA to establish a special league for the elite high school players. They could form an 8 team league where they would invite 100 of the top kids to join. They could even have a draft for marketing purposes. They could have a 20-30 game season against each other with playoffs in January/ February when the NBA season is sort of treading water. The winning team could split $1M. This would give the NBA teams the chance to see these players develop against consistently top talent. The draft and the games could be televised which would give the fans some familiarity with the players come the NBA draft. If the NBA didn't want the teams to commit to these players before the draft, they could work a deal with the shoe companies to sponsor the teams; good marketing for them! And, if they wanted to avoid travel costs, etc., you could even have all the teams centered in Las Vegas. And since the NBA is leery about a franchise in LV, this would postpone that issue. Of course, it is problematic to give a bunch of 18-year olds money and turn them loose on the streets of Vegas, but I am SURE the NBA could find a way to overlook the morality of that decision! It'll never happen, but it's a thought!
Would any of them even be a viable NBA prospect after that? :ROFLMAO:

Would any of them even be a viable NBA prospect after that? :ROFLMAO:
. Most are Not overseas prospects. Many more will Never see the NBA. Complete injustice to our youths who don’t understand the Value of education Greedy, uneducated or educated Adults are the Huge problem.

For now. Most of the kids will now think they can do this. Disaster for some. They’ll be on the streets in a couple years

How much money were you making at 18? How much money were you making at 22? How long did it take you to make 300K - 500K in one year? How many years does it take the AVERAGE college grad to accumulate career earnings of 300K - 500K?

How much money were you making at 18? How much money were you making at 22? How long did it take you to make 300K - 500K in one year? How many years does it take the AVERAGE college grad to accumulate career earnings of 300K - 500K?
Last I saw, it was $125,000 which is still a lot for an 18 year old. If they're not interested in an education, which is 4 years guaranteed paid for at a lot of colleges even if injured now, then they were only going for a semester of classes anyway. We'll see how the Marketing / exposure aspect works out in the long run if you're not Zion and go this route. Even Zion has gained exposure in 1 year of college worth millions and millions over the years.

This might also encourage kids to not worry about academic qualifying for the NCAA which only has downside in general if not for every individual.

. Again, very few make it. Very few are good enough to make it. Very few are good enough to make that kind of money. Very few are not capable of handling that type of money/ going broke quickly. The very best can try this, but the rest will be a disaster in 2-3 years. I hope this isn’t a trend, but you may get the monkey see , monkey do affect. I wish them All the best. Only the best of grown men make it.