Top Freshman in Cincinnati Area

Purcell actually has 5 on the list.

Expect Carlik Jones and Momo Howard to start varsity. Also, expect Rashaad Ali-Shakir to be 6th man, and for Payton Smith to play a role, on a young but improved Cavaliers team.

Mello Dockery is the fifth, probably will play JV.

Is Calipari now at Purcell? What did Purcell Marian do to get these kids to come? Or is it just another case of poor talent evaluation by this website?

I was thinking Hamilton Badin had a few kids that are freshman that were ranked pretty high on this list in the past? Anyone know anything about them?

What are the odds the Purcel kids transfer away like Bacon a few years back?

Time will tell, hopefully they all stay together.

I know that Carlik Jones and Momo Howard are city of Cincinnati kids. I believe that Rashaad Ali-Shakir lives in Colerain district (could be wrong). Not sure about Payton Smith or Mello Dockery.

Purcell actually has 5 on the list.

Expect Carlik Jones and Momo Howard to start varsity. Also, expect Rashaad Ali-Shakir to be 6th man, and for Payton Smith to play a role, on a young but improved Cavaliers team.

Mello Dockery is the fifth, probably will play JV.

There I go showing my public education. I can't count past 4. So Purcell has 5 of the top 28 (if I can count that high) Cincy freshman. If the list is even close to accurate that blows me away. Granted, I am 25 miles north of Cincinnati but I can't remember the last time I heard someone use the words basketball and Purcell Marion in the same sentence. What division are they and what has been their recent records? To be blunt, how did all these young men end up there?

There I go showing my public education. I can't count past 4. So Purcell has 5 of the top 28 (if I can count that high) Cincy freshman. If the list is even close to accurate that blows me away. Granted, I am 25 miles north of Cincinnati but I can't remember the last time I heard someone use the words basketball and Purcell Marion in the same sentence. What division are they and what has been their recent records? To be blunt, how did all these young men end up there?

BLUE CHIPS

I'm sure there are several players missing from this list, being that it's so early. Let's say that they have 5 of the top 40 or so.

Purcell is now Division III and has had a very poor record the last few seasons.

Basketball coach has been in that position for the last few years, the entire time he has been head coach. It hasn't helped them in the last 3 or 4 years, why now?

Because the previous Director of Admissions was the head football coach .. follow the money!!

Because the previous Director of Admissions was the head football coach .. follow the money!!

The guy who is the bball coach now has been working with admissions for the last 4 or 5 years and has been coaching basketball all that time as well. Why would all of a sudden they start getting players now? Why now 4 or 5 years ago? He was handling admissions then too.

The guy who is the bball coach now has been working with admissions for the last 4 or 5 years and has been coaching basketball all that time as well. Why would all of a sudden they start getting players now? Why now 4 or 5 years ago? He was handling admissions then too.

Yes I know that Laake has been the Assistant Director of Admissions since he's been head basketball coach. Yes I know he was involved in the admissions process. However the final say in distributing scholarships (yes .. I know .. need/academic based :rolleyes: ) was with the Director of Admissions. The Director has changed and the money is flowing to basketball recr ... I mean student-athletes. :stirthepot: After getting his brains beat in for a few years, young Laake deserves some W's!

Whatever wins... it's worked pretty well for the GCL for a while!

A Toyota Corolla works really well but I don't like to look at them.

I get your point. The GCL has done great. I grew up in Middletown in 1980's and I love the fast break, quick paced game. The refs let too much contact go these days.

A Toyota Corolla works really well but I don't like to look at them.

I get your point. The GCL has done great. I grew up in Middletown in 1980's and I love the fast break, quick paced game. The refs let too much contact go these days.

Yes, if the refs called more fouls the games would be higher scoring because defenses wouldn't be able to grab and hold.

La Salle let Rashaad Ali-Shakir (St. Barts) get away to Purcell?? And his teammate (the younger Larkin who also went to St. Barts) went to La Salle and they still couldn't get him? What a joke. How times have changed when Purcell plucks one under your nose.

Last edited:
Wow Purcell got all of those kids? I've seen 3 of the 5 play. That is one special group heading there. It is good to see a smaller GCL school not get stepped on and abused by the bigger GCL schools for a change. Bacon and Purcell's traditional feeders have been cherry picked for far too long. If they stick together that group will win a state title or two.

Wow Purcell got all of those kids? I've seen 3 of the 5 play. That is one special group heading there. It is good to see a smaller GCL school not get stepped on and abused by the bigger GCL schools for a change. Bacon and Purcell's traditional feeders have been cherry picked for far too long. If they stick together that group will win a state title or two.

Stop it! They can play, but they arent state title good(now, or ever), and neither is the coaching they are going to recieve!:Ohno:

Didn't say anything about the first two years. For DIII that is a very talented group that will be able to compete with just about everyone in that division when they are upperclassmen.

If they all stay at Purcell... my guess is some end up at CPS schools just like what happened at Bacon a few years ago.

Or go to La Salle the way Lemons did when he left Bacon and stuck with the GCL.

Still shaking my head on how La Salle dropped the ball on Rashaad Ali-Shakir. He along w/ Larkin, Larkin, and CJ Fleming would have been formidable to say the least.