Toledo Area Athletic Conference 2018-2019

I have watched the TAAC and Mc Whinnie for years...here is the lowdown.

Mc Whinnie teams are solid not great, even when had very good talent, Eric Celier and such his teams do not advance. His teams are built to win the TAAC, not win state. He teams always in the running to win or finish 2nd/3rd in the TAAC. Lindsey at OH is similar but when he has talent his teams do well in the state had a good run back in 10 I do believe.

Look at coack K at CS took over an average squad beat OH when they were loaded and TC as well went all the way to BG. This years team has potential but Archbold is always tough in D3.

MV had one good run with Robinson team was talented but no depth lost to Arlington at BG had Dave Brown, Jared Sturt, Fred Diechert and Johnathan Krueger and Dixon Stoddard went 22-1.

TAAC teams rarely make the run in state particulary TC teams, coaching is a big part of it but so is players. MV has not bench and coaching is not on par with other teams of similar talent.

We will see how the season ends

I have watched the TAAC and Mc Whinnie for years...here is the lowdown.

Mc Whinnie teams are solid not great, even when had very good talent, Eric Celier and such his teams do not advance. His teams are built to win the TAAC, not win state. He teams always in the running to win or finish 2nd/3rd in the TAAC. Lindsey at OH is similar but when he has talent his teams do well in the state had a good run back in 10 I do believe.

Look at coack K at CS took over an average squad beat OH when they were loaded and TC as well went all the way to BG. This years team has potential but Archbold is always tough in D3.

MV had one good run with Robinson team was talented but no depth lost to Arlington at BG had Dave Brown, Jared Sturt, Fred Diechert and Johnathan Krueger and Dixon Stoddard went 22-1.

TAAC teams rarely make the run in state particulary TC teams, coaching is a big part of it but so is players. MV has not bench and coaching is not on par with other teams of similar talent.

We will see how the season ends

Toledo Christian's best shot at getting to Columbus was in '09. Led Kalida with under 4 minutes to go in the regional final at BG with TC's best player (Ethan Phillips) playing hurt before losing by 5. That Kalida team ended up losing in overtime in the D4 state championship game. OH got past Kalida in the regional final at BG in '10.

Cardinal Stritch @ Toledo Christian on Saturday should be a good game. They are pre-selling tickets, so it will be sold out.

TC has solid ball handlers, shooters and are always a disciplined team. Key for TC is to limit turnovers and defensive rebounding.

Key for Stritch will be shot selection, which has been good so far this year.

What he said but @ Stritch this time around.

Nice win for Stritch over Toledo Christian 64-58.

Hot shooting (mainly from 3) and full court press got Stritch a double digit lead early in the 1st quarter. The lead was 10-13 most of the game until about the 4:00 mark. Stritch was up 10, missed an open 3, TC knocks down an open 3 and it became a dog fight from there. Would like to see the players get a better understanding of time and situation. Just because a shot is open doesn't mean it should be taken.

They have had a lot more tight games this year than in the past so they are learning and they will be better prepared down the tournament trail.

Holifield joined Burton as 1,000 scorers for Stritch. Congratulations to him. A lot of hard work has gone into that.

Impressive win for Cardinal Stritch on the road vs. a tough Norwalk team. Tournament test indeed.

Here's recap in the local paper
Stritch pulls away late to stop Norwalk win streak
MARK HAZELWOOD • FEB 12, 2019 AT 10:22 PM
markhazelwood@norwalkreflector.com
NORWALK — Even the milestone hurt.

On a night where it was going to be a tall task against Division III powerhouse Oregon Cardinal Stritch, Norwalk standout Brandon Haraway had to endure physical pain right away.

Sitting at 998 points entering the non-league game at Norwalk High School, Haraway caught an inbound lob pass right in front of the basket — but immediately got bodied up by two Cardinal defenders.

He threw the ball up at the rim, and hit the floor hard. Wincing in pain, Haraway was able to get up and make the free throw.

But that signature moment summed up the challenges of facing the Cardinals (16-3), who turned a 47-40 lead into a comfortable 57-40 win by closing the game on a 10-0 scoring run.

The loss snapped Norwalk’s 14-game winning streak, also dropping the Truckers to 16-3. Stritch has won 60 of its last 70 games dating back to the 2016-17 season.

“I was trying to get excited about it, but I had to lay there at first and was rolling around to get the initial sting to go away,” Haraway said of his moment when he became the 10th player to reach 1,000 career points at Norwalk.

The game was stopped with the Truckers trailing 7-5 at the 4:29 mark. Haraway, a Div. II Ashland University recruit, then gave the game ball to his mother, Kisha. He also embraced his brothers, Bryson and Ben, the latter who just scored his 1,000th point at Ashland over the weekend — and is also among the 1,000-point scorers at Norwalk with 1,184 points.

“It hurt on the outside, but inside it felt good and I got a little bit emotional,” Brandon Haraway said. “It’s a great accomplishment for me and my family in general. I have to follow them up and do big things.”

Norwalk trailed 7-0 just two minutes in, but had settled in to trail 13-8 after one quarter. But the defense that has carried the Truckers all season was unable to keep up with the Cardinals in the second quarter.

After Austin Brown pulled the Truckers within 23-19 at the 5:40 mark, the Cards reeled off a 15-4 scoring run to take command. Little Anderson (6-foot-3) did most of the damage, scoring six of those points as the Cards’ two Div. I recruits, Jordan Burton and Joey Holifield got most of the defensive attention.

But in the second half, the Truckers fought back.

Trailing 45-31 with 4:03 left in the third, Norwalk closed on a 9-2 scoring run — capped by a nice outlet pass from Haraway to Will Gehlhausen, allowing the sophomore to drain a deep jumper at the buzzer to cut the deficit to 47-40.

Norwalk had a chance to draw even closer to start the fourth, but a missed shot rimmed out — and Stritch took back over.

The Cards locked down and contested every shot, as Norwalk did not score in the fourth quarter. That allowed Stritch to slowly pull away, and Norwalk coach Steve Gray emptied his bench with just over three minutes to play.

“I think early on we gave them way too much respect,” Gray said. “When we made that run, we just got after it and defended.

“Will hit a big shot for us and we just made plays to get back in the game,” he added. “It all came at the defensive end, and it came because of attitude and effort.”

Haraway entered the game averaging 21.3 points per game, but was limited to just six shot attempts and seven points total.

That was certainly the plan coming in, according to Stritch head coach Jamie Kachmarik.

“You know he’s their guy, and we always try to take the other team’s best player,” Kachmarik said. “We tried to do that, and congrats to him for his 1,000th point. That just tells you a lot about him. But our plan was to try and get it out of his hands and deny him.

“Coming in here to face a team coached by Steve with the history and tradition they’ve had, our guys stepped up to the challenge,” he added. “This was a great win here, and all the respect to Coach Gray and Norwalk for putting us on the schedule.”

Stritch was led by Holifield with 14 points, while Anderson added 13 points and seven rebounds.

For Norwalk, Haraway added seven rebounds, three assists, two steals and two blocks with just one turnover before exiting with 3:05 left in the game.

Also for Truckers, Chapin had six points and seven rebounds, while Brown and Lacy each added six points.

“That was a very, very good team we played tonight, and the great thing about this is it got us ready for Sandusky,” Gray said of Friday’s road game to face the Blue Streaks (11-6, 7-1).

With a win, Norwalk (7-1 SBC Lake) can clinch at least a share of the league championship.

In the junior varsity game, Stritch edged the JV Truckers (11-8) by a 38-37 final. Andrew Mozina led Norwalk with 11 points and nine rebounds, and Daniel Traczek added eight points.

CARDINAL STRITCH (16-3)

Ben Dunmore 4-0—11; Jhaiden Wilson 2-0—5; Jordan Burton 3-0—6; Little Anderson 5-2—13; Joey Holifield 3-7—14; Nolan Finch 4-0—8. TOTALS 21-9—57.

NORWALK (16-3)

Brandon Haraway 3-1—6; Garrett Chapin 3-0—6; Austin Brown 3-0—6; Kyler Lacy 3-0—6; Ryan Sowders 2-0—5; Garrett Obringer 1-2—5; Will Gehlhausen 2-0—5. TOTALS 17-3—40.

C. Stritch 13 25 9 10 — 57

Norwalk 8 17 15 0 — 40

3-point FGs: (CS) Dunmore 3, Wilson, Anderson, Holifield; (N) Sowders, Gehlhausen, Obringer

JV: Stritch, 38-37

Cardinal Stritch 16 - 3 7 - 1
Maumee Valley Country Day 14 - 4 6 - 2
Toledo Christian 15 - 4 6 - 3
Ottawa Hills 12 - 5 5 - 3
Emmanuel Christian 8 - 11 1 - 8
Northwood 5 - 15 0 - 8

Stritch pretty much has a share for the title wrapped up but Maumee Valley will have something to say about if they share or not.

I followed T-towns link above and found some more articles. It is pretty cool how well the reflector covers Norwalk's sports teams and their upcoming opponents.

Some high praise from Norwalk's Coach Gray.

http://www.norwalkreflector.com/Basketball/2019/02/09/Norwalk-at-Northwestern

As for Tuesday’s game with the potent Cardinals, Gray said the pressure is off. Stritch averages 68.8 points per game, and have a pair of 1,000-point scorers in Jordan Burton and Joey Holifield, the latter who has six Div. I scholarship offers.

“They are something else. If people in Huron County want to see two pretty good teams go at it, come out and watch this one,” Gray said. “They have two Division I college recruits, one offered by many of the MAC schools.

http://www.norwalkreflector.com/Basketball/2019/02/07/Huge-non-league-game-starts-key-stretch.html

Next Tuesday, the Truckers then host another big challenge in Div. III Oregon Cardinal Stritch (14-3) — another first place team, this time from the Toledo Area Athletic Conference.

Guard Jordan Burton (5-11) has 1,262 points entering this week and is a returning All-Ohioan for the Cardinals. But it doesn’t end there. Junior guard Joey Holifield scored his 1,000th point last Friday in a win over Toledo Christian. A third double-digit, Little Anderson, has also helped Stritch to a 58-10 record over the past two-plus seasons.

“They are a whole different animal,” Gray said. “If people want to see a great game, come out here for our home game Tuesday. They have two Div. I players and go 6-6 and 6-7 in the post … they are a lot like the Toledo Rogers team we played here six years ago.

http://www.norwalkreflector.com/Bas...rn-the-page-toward-possible-league-title.html

Gray noted that if anything, facing the athleticism and talent of Cardinal Stritch on Tuesday is better preparation than any practice can give his team for Friday.

“Sandusky is good. But the biggest difference between them and Cardinal Stritch is two inches and 25 pounds per player,” Gray said. “Tuesday was just great for us in that regard.”

That was a nice signature win for Stritch, I was questioning their ability to go deep into a tournament run in D3- but this win got my attention. Congrats~

Whitmer played Norwalk with a home and away a couple years ago when both teams were really good and I came away extremely impressed with Coach Gray and the program he has built. Solid coached kids from top to bottom.

Coach Lindsey at OH takes a backseat to no one when it comes to coaching as well. Nice win last night.

Anyone know if Silk and Cummings are playing at the next level?

Coach Lindsey at OH takes a backseat to no one when it comes to coaching as well. Nice win last night.

Anyone know if Silk and Cummings are playing at the next level?

I have not heard a thing about either one. I used to see Cummings at the park every now and then over the summer, real nice kid. Guess they were right to name the court after Lindsey after all.

If both teams push through, they'll get a round 3 out in Fostoria to go to the Regional Semis.

Love this time of year.

Cummings brother is playing at Trine. I think he may follow him there. Another option would be Adrian College. Lynsey's son is the head coach there.

Silk is not playing in college.

If Coil would have played OH would have been a lot deeper and bigger in the middle.

What happened to Coil?

Also was that a Vanslooten sighting?

MVCDS is not on Cardinal Stritch's level. The only team they have beaten of consequence is Toledo Christian who is young and undersized. MV has 3 of the most athletic players in the league but only uses one. No bench and No legit bigs will haunt them in the tournament, when they come up against any team with size.

CS had a statement win at Norwalk, and followed that up with a demolishing of Northwood, Looks like they are hitting their stride.

TC/OH will more than likely meet in the tournament unless something crazy happens. It will come down MV vs. OH for a 3rd time or TC who they barely beat and I wouldn't bet against McWhinnie in the tournament.

2012 vs MV he got a lead on MV 22-2 team and held the ball for almost the entire 2nd qtr, until Dave Brown took over final score I do believe was 36-28.

Beyond that the TAAC has tall order to advance, going to run into the likes of Convoy Crestview, Col Crawford and Hicksville.

What happened to Coil?

Also was that a Vanslooten sighting?

MVCDS is not on Cardinal Stritch's level. The only team they have beaten of consequence is Toledo Christian who is young and undersized. MV has 3 of the most athletic players in the league but only uses one. No bench and No legit bigs will haunt them in the tournament, when they come up against any team with size.

CS had a statement win at Norwalk, and followed that up with a demolishing of Northwood, Looks like they are hitting their stride.

TC/OH will more than likely meet in the tournament unless something crazy happens. It will come down MV vs. OH for a 3rd time or TC who they barely beat and I wouldn't bet against McWhinnie in the tournament.

2012 vs MV he got a lead on MV 22-2 team and held the ball for almost the entire 2nd qtr, until Dave Brown took over final score I do believe was 36-28.

Beyond that the TAAC has tall order to advance, going to run into the likes of Convoy Crestview, Col Crawford and Hicksville.

Would only run into Colonel Crawford if they make it to Columbus. That would be a nice problem but not likely to happen.

Would only run into Colonel Crawford if they make it to Columbus. That would be a nice problem but not likely to happen.

Lol, right...but probably should worry about the team coming out of Findlay first. TAAC teams haven't had much luck with them in the past, but this is year is the weakest the Findlay district has been in a long time....so maybe this will be the year. :)

I don't know what happened to the kid but I miss the dad. Watching him yell, scream and flail about was worth the price of admission.

His dad is a very large man, played at UT, 7 foot and has a voice that rattles right through you. Never felt so small in my life.

Coil decided he wanted to focus on playing soccer in college. His brother 6'10" plays D2 basketball in Florida and sister 6'3" plays D1 volleyball on the east coast.

Congratulations to Cardinal Stritch's Jordan Burton on his commitment to Notre Dame College (the D2 version). The young man has worked hard to improve his game and transform his body over the last few years.

His dad is a very large man, played at UT, 7 foot and has a voice that rattles right through you. Never felt so small in my life.

Coil decided he wanted to focus on playing soccer in college. His brother 6'10" plays D2 basketball in Florida and sister 6'3" plays D1 volleyball on the east coast.

I just figured that the dad stopped coming to the games because he was being overshadowed by the amazing lady in the fuzzy furry coat. That girl is something else...

I just figured that the dad stopped coming to the games because he was being overshadowed by the amazing lady in the fuzzy furry coat. That girl is something else...

She is great.

Was just telling a buddy about her. He gets to experience all that energy and spirit in person at tonight's game. Worth the price of admission.......as long as she is on the other side of the gym.

It may be a little more peaceful sitting in the middle of the pep band or a tornado.

OH won 53-50.

Cummings was the difference down the stretch. High level athlete there.

Saw Reese Wamer on the sidelines. Had shorts on and I didn't see a knee brace. Didn't see warmups, not sure if he's running at all. As an adult, we all learn life isn't fair, but I really wanted to see just how good he would end his high school career. Had to be looking at him as a potential POY in the TRAC. The football injury really did the kid in. I hate that for him.

Gotta give credit to OH though, they pulled it out. The zone trap they ran was feast or famine. Either they got turnovers or they gave up open threes. Clay just didn't knock down enough shots in the end.

We can all agree Wamer got a raw deal but I believe the injury happened in summer basketball.

He tweaked his knee playing basketball, but passed the stability and other test with the Ohio Dominican trainer. He let the Clay football coaches know it was still bothering him but he practiced anyway and when he planted to throw a pass the knee blew out.

He made the game a lot easier for the guys around him. Would love to have seen him play with more talent. He really is a pass 1st PG but had to force some things with a lack of options around him.

Last I heard he plans on playing football at the small school level in college.

He tweaked his knee playing basketball, but passed the stability and other test with the Ohio Dominican trainer. He let the Clay football coaches know it was still bothering him but he practiced anyway and when he planted to throw a pass the knee blew out.

Fragile things even on the strongest. If I tell someone my knee is bothering me, that's a roll-eyes. If a strong non-whiney athlete says it, coach says, "sorry, sit." Hindsight.

In this day and age of see-everything tech, have to imagine there was no tearing, just one of the knee boys weakened enough to not be able to keep up leading to catastrophic failure of the whole structure.

Mohawk made it to regional last year, and it has most of their main pieces back, so no guarantees that a taac school will make it out of the fostoria district

Mohawk made it to regional last year, and it has most of their main pieces back, so no guarantees that a taac school will make it out of the fostoria district

I wouldn't be shocked to see either Old Fort or Calvert in this district final. Seeding was VERY surprising considering records and schedules? It is interesting that MVCD took on Mohawk in that bracket- we shall see!