Today's news...

Red14

This thread will just be some general thoughts on some news stories I see on a daily basis, some serious, some no so serious....

So today, I see a story that says one of the big pharmacy companies are filing bankruptcy to pay for all the lawsuits the local and state governments are filing for making prescriptions available to people who take them irresponsibly. Mind you all the scripts are clearly marked with warning labels on how NOT to take them. This is so backwards. So a company who'd dumped millions into research and development has to go out of business because no one with power has the guts to tell opioid abusers they are responsible for what they put into their mouths??? Silliness....

And the second is the UAW strike. Didn't we do this about 25 years ago when the american auto worker went on strike because they want to be overpaid for the work they do, thus allowing Toyota/ Honda and all the foreign auto makers to get a foothold in American auto sales??? It just make no sense to me when people who've built their lives through employment with a company walk out on that company?

Zunardo

It's almost as if part of the GM strike is a face-saving gesture by the UAW to regain their members' trust, in light of recent union scandals. See link below.

As we've both watched this develop, Mrs. Zunardo has been highly critical of UAW's strategy. A bit surprising, as she was a union steward for many years before she met me, and once marched as part of a a union group led by Cesar Chavez in sympathy with hotel workers in San Francisco.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2019/09/16/uaw-corruption-gm-strike-contract/2336844001/

Red14

It's almost as if part of the GM strike is a face-saving gesture by the UAW to regain their members' trust, in light of recent union scandals. See link below.

As we've both watched this develop, Mrs. Zunardo has been highly critical of UAW's strategy. A bit surprising, as she was a union steward for many years before she met me, and once marched as part of a a union group led by Cesar Chavez in sympathy with hotel workers in San Francisco.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2019/09/16/uaw-corruption-gm-strike-contract/2336844001/
Didn't know anything about the UAW's scandal, but it doesn't surprise me. Anytime you have folks handling large sums of money, scandals are always a possibility. You have to have multiple checks and balances, for your own good.

The first complaint for any kind of employment disagreement almost always comes back to what the CEO makes. People have to understand most CEO's pay is based on incentives and reaching targets. If you work for a company you WANT your CEO to make alot, that means the company is doing well. The other issue is that there is one CEO. Yes, it may seem like they make alot, but they make BIG time decisions that affect the company. You take a CEO's pay and spread it over thousands of workers and it minimal.

Zunardo

Dateline: Quebec ...... The Today Show having a field day with the damning Trudeau video ....

Last edited: