Time to Retire "Hells Bells" from 3rd Down in Stadiums?

Hells Bells is now 42 years old.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm always banging the drum of innovation and embracing the best part of the current times. I feel bad for my alma mater's pep band being forced to play the same 4 song they've been playing for almost 40 years. No wonder why the pep band seems to be shrinking.

With that said, I believe Hell's Bells is a rare exception in my opinion.
GRANTED, my school does not play the bells on 3rd down.

Let’s Leave the Music @ The Door you want music Go to a Concert.
Most of the time the music goes into the Cadence of the Quarterback
which truly is a Problem. Just let the Kids Play, No Music No Bells No Nothing.
Just Play Football.
lighten up francis..... are you OK with the band playing during the game, heck lets keep them off the field at halftime too!! LOL!!!! Don't sweat the small things...

Let’s Leave the Music @ The Door you want music Go to a Concert.
Most of the time the music goes into the Cadence of the Quarterback
which truly is a Problem. Just let the Kids Play, No Music No Bells No Nothing.
Just Play Football.
i say lets stop the JUMP AROUND at the Wisky games too!!!

I'm deeply ashamed at myself for reading this post. I saw it like 100 times and said no, that is going to be a total ____ show. But today I was completely bored at work and I broke down and read the entire thread. I am going to go home and flog myself or better yet listen to Hell's Bells on repeat for 4-5 hours. I need to exhibit more self control!

I think if Hell's Bells were to stop being played, that would be extremely disappointing... One of my favorite memories from HS Football was my Sophomore year playing Massillon, the refs told the box that they could no longer play the bells on 3rd down (we were a no huddle team at the time and it is a penalty to interfere with our snap count) and the stadium erupted into the loudest stadium that I have ever played in (I also played D1 Collegiate football). We could not hear the QB when he was about 2 feet away from us. Still gives me chills thinking about that! Keep the Bells!

If Hells Bells is good enough for HOFer Trevor Hoffman it’s good enough for high school football. Crank it up and rip the knob off.

And just for fun, let's take this a step further....marching bands should only include instruments with which you can actually march. no drum sets, no xylophones or vibraphones, no bass guitars. Brass, woodwinds, percussion. And no portable ladder stands. nothing that has to be carried or rolled onto the field by parents. In fact, no parents on the field. Flag n' rifle corps? Yep. But do not ask me about cheerleaders. You probably would not like the answer. I saw a school with 17 this season. Really. :stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:
I'm late to the thread, but this. I went to the school at what is considered the original marching band and our director NEVER let us dance, sing, or have stuff like guitars/xylophones, etc. Good post, 12p.

I'm late to the thread, but this. I went to the school at what is considered the original marching band and our director NEVER let us dance, sing, or have stuff like guitars/xylophones, etc. Good post, 12p.
Just saw them last Friday. Looked and sounded great. We had them at home this year, but it was always one of my favorite trips (still remember the Rossford band arriving half way through the first quarter because the new band director told the bus driver to go to the high school).

lighten up francis..... are you OK with the band playing during the game, heck lets keep them off the field at halftime too!! LOL!!!! Don't sweat the small things...
Hey LittleKat, I love the Band playing its part of the Game. It’s the incompetent P.A. Operator
that had a little to much pregame festivities and impacts a lot of third down plays to benefit his team.
Do they play the Bell’s when it’s the Home Teams Third Down. Your post makes me wonder if your
one of the P.A. operators.

Axe GIF by Carson-Newman Athletics
Accept..... Balls to the wall.
I'm walking my team out onto the field in the state championship to this song. Carrying an Axe above my head!!!!

Refresh your memory!!!
Oh, I remember Balls To The Wall clearly - that song grated on my ears, lol.

I'd prefer"The Trooper" by Iron Maiden in head-to-head competition, and The Godz' Gotta Keep A Runnin' just to keep 'em guessin'.

Full disclosure, I never got to hear anything else from Accept, maybe I'll check 'em out.

But BTTW certainly was unlike anything I'd heard at the time. No question it could drive up the adrenaline. :cool:

Last edited:
Hey LittleKat, I love the Band playing its part of the Game. It’s the incompetent P.A. Operator
that had a little to much pregame festivities and impacts a lot of third down plays to benefit his team.
Do they play the Bell’s when it’s the Home Teams Third Down. Your post makes me wonder if your
one of the P.A. operators.
not at all Nerd, i love the band, i love the HOME team being able to play the the bells song at third down..... not sure if the dude is drunk, or not, what school does this that bothers you? maybe you can be one of those Karens that gets upset at things that you don't really need to get upset about.... life is short.... enjoy it!!!! not a PA operator, former coach, Kids seem to like back in the day, and they still do in these WOKE days..... i have operated the time clock, but would gladly RING THE BELLS if asked to.... because it's a fun thing to do!!

Oh, I remember Balls To The Wall clearly - that song grated on my ears, lol.

I'd prefer"The Trooper" by Iron Maiden in head-to-head competition, and The Godz' Gotta Keep A Runnin' just to keep 'em guessin'.

Full disclosure, I never got to hear anything else from Accept, maybe I'll check 'em out.

But BTTW certainly was unlike anything I'd heard at the time. No question it could drive up the adrenaline. :cool:

Now dig up ya'll

The Godz are rock n roll machines
The Godz are rock n roll machines.....