Time to address the elephant in the room as we head towards the finals.

Football is done too except for 26 teams...out of what 600

There's 13 games this weekend and 6 next weekend. In a state of 20 million.
Kind of an important 13 games.

And check your math on the population. Unless we annexed Indiana without my noticing.

Baseball would already be done. Football is already a mixed bag with COVID sit outs impacting the playoffs. Still a chance D2-7 get postponed.
There's no proof that a Spring season wouldn't have happened the same way. This thing isn't going away as quickly as we all would like and I could see this going on into next Summer the way things have been headed.

We’ll see. Either way, I don’t want to see titles determined by COVID, which is already where we’re at.

It would have happened in baseball and softball and track and lacrosse, etc... as well. You think by some miracle no teams in those sports would have had cases and had to forfeit games or meets the same way football has? Are those "covid" titles less important than a "covid" football title? OHSAA would have been wrong to risk the spring sport season AGAIN by moving it to the fall not knowing whether it would work out. Hindsight, playing the season worked out well and 99% of teams got through the season mostly unscathed. It was unfortunate for the few anomalies that had to forfeit, but overall I think schools did an excellent job pulling this season off under the current circumstances.

There's no proof that a Spring season wouldn't have happened the same way. This thing isn't going away as quickly as we all would like and I could see this going on into next Summer the way things have been headed.
I concur. I believe the spring season would, and will, get pushed waaaaay back. Baseball next spring will start very late and end in July. No way football would have done that

I know that most people on here are extremely critical of Dewine as well as the OHSAA (sometimes warranted) but both have done an excellent job of allowing, promoting, and monitoring the entire fall season. Both look wiser every passing day in starting the season on time, shortening the duration, and getting this done prior to Thanksgiving. Imagine the conversation if we still had 3-4 weeks to go instead of trying to get through the next 10 days.

Why is this even a thread.... No other state has called it quits in their high school playoffs. Why would Ohio be the first? They moved the season up for this reason. The end.

1605103568235.png

I know that most people on here are extremely critical of Dewine as well as the OHSAA (sometimes warranted) but both have done an excellent job of allowing, promoting, and monitoring the entire fall season. Both look wiser every passing day in starting the season on time, shortening the duration, and getting this done prior to Thanksgiving. Imagine the conversation if we still had 3-4 weeks to go instead of trying to get through the next 10 days.
While I am one of those that is highly critical of Dewine (not so much OHSAA) I actually agree with this. I think this season has been handled really well and I am really happy Ohio has been able to pull it off. With that being said, shutting it down now with a week and a half ago, after all the effort that has been by the OHSAA, schools, coaches, players, and families would completely contradict those efforts. I still have not heard of one major outbreak traced back to schools and/or school sporting events. Dewine has said as much himself, can't fathom him shutting it down at this point.

Don't care who it is in charge, they would have trouble. Half the people will do as they are asked even if they aren't sure it does any good. The other half are just too selfish. Why can kids run cross country and I can't go to a bar all night? The kids have done a very good job. It's like putting on a seat belt to my kids. They grew up putting seat belts on and they don't know any different. They are sort of used to the routine of wearing masks and being careful. Not all, but most.

Someone used an example of they know 3 nurses that have hours being cut because things are not as bad as we are being told. My son knows 3 people that rode in the same car for 20 minutes that are all dead now from the virus. Somewhere in between is a little more typical.

In Ohio, the hospitalizations are going up. We are at 80% capacity in the state with about 5% of that eaten away in just the last 10 days. There is a tipping point at which the flood is no longer contained and it spills out. We are creeping up on that point here. I've talked to people that have dealt with it in other parts of the country and it's not pretty. Tough people that are having trouble dealing with the weight of it.

We got through some of the Fall sports seasons and hopefully we will get through all of them. Winter sports are in trouble. I suspect either very limited fans or none at all. I hope we have Spring sports. Do we think it will just disappear by Easter?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4GX
In Ohio, the hospitalizations are going up. We are at 80% capacity in the state with about 5% of that eaten away in just the last 10 days. There is a tipping point at which the flood is no longer contained and it spills out. We are creeping up on that point here. I've talked to people that have dealt with it in other parts of the country and it's not pretty. Tough people that are having trouble dealing with the weight of it.

We got through some of the Fall sports seasons and hopefully we will get through all of them. Winter sports are in trouble. I suspect either very limited fans or none at all. I hope we have Spring sports. Do we think it will just disappear by Easter?
Ventilator capacity is still very low and those are the folks who for the most part are dying. Also a large majority of the hospital capacity is being taken up by non-Covid patients. If things got dire in the next couple of weeks, I believe hospitals would begin to slow down on admitting patients there for elective surgeries to increase capacity for Covid patients similar to what happened in March/April. Personally I think we are still long way from seeing our hospitals being overrun to the point people are dying of Covid because they can't receive treatment. And no I don't believe it will disappear by Easter. Even with a vaccine I would guess we'll be dealing with Covid through most of 2021 and into 2022.

If things got dire in the next couple of weeks, I believe hospitals would begin to slow down on admitting patients there for elective surgeries to increase capacity for Covid patients similar to what happened in March/April.
They're already doing this. Non-COVID hospital bed usage is down almost 1,500 beds in the last several weeks.

Winter sports are in trouble. I suspect either very limited fans or none at all. I hope we have Spring sports. Do we think it will just disappear by Easter?
Agreed. It's hard to imagine the winter sports that are indoors and have high amounts of CDC close contact are going to be able to be a go, especially if more and more districts shift back to remote learning.

Agreed. It's hard to imagine the winter sports that are indoors and have high amounts of CDC close contact are going to be able to be a go, especially if more and more districts shift back to remote learning.
They will try and have a season, everyone will play a couple weeks worth of games, then teams will start getting sick and it spreads, then it all goes downhill from there.

Ventilator capacity is still very low and those are the folks who for the most part are dying. Also a large majority of the hospital capacity is being taken up by non-Covid patients. If things got dire in the next couple of weeks, I believe hospitals would begin to slow down on admitting patients there for elective surgeries to increase capacity for Covid patients similar to what happened in March/April. Personally I think we are still long way from seeing our hospitals being overrun to the point people are dying of Covid because they can't receive treatment. And no I don't believe it will disappear by Easter. Even with a vaccine I would guess we'll be dealing with Covid through most of 2021 and into 2022.
Here is a problem.. From the start of this, it took until the end of June for Ohio to hit 50k cases. Then July - half of August for another 50k. Then half of Aug - Sept for another 50k, then October was another 50k by itself, and now, just to the 12th day of November 70k. Hospitalizations are going to start rapidly increasing along with deaths. % positive tests was down to about 3% in September. We are now at about 12%. I thought 5% and under was the goal to make sure we did not over run the health care system. ( I could be wrong on my understanding of that) We are over double right now where they want us to be and it's rising. We can probably throw out the numbers for March-May, but testing has been good since then, so it's not just because of better testing. We need to stop fighting and start working together to make things better. We want to live in a place where we are talking bout it being stupid that there is such a fuss and we don't know people that are suffering. We do not want to be an El Paso or any of the other places that are being hurt. I have not personally seen any of the bad stuff. I know people that have. They are not alarmist by nature. Quite the opposite. They say it is a nightmare once it grabs hold.