Three point shooting line.

Lancermania

Lancers lead the way!
The 3-point line in men's college basketball was moved from 20 feet, nine inches to the international distance of 22 feet beginning with the 2019-2020 season. The high school three point shooting line was put into effect with the 1987-1988 season at 19 feel, nine inches. Was that distance also changed this year?

Line has been too close since the beginning. Awarding 3 points for a long free throw is unjustified.

Line has been too close since the beginning. Awarding 3 points for a long free throw is unjustified.
J choose to disagree I think the line for high school should stay where it's at and has added so much to the game

The 3-point line in men's college basketball was moved from 20 feet, nine inches to the international distance of 22 feet beginning with the 2019-2020 season. The high school three point shooting line was put into effect with the 1987-1988 season at 19 feel, nine inches. Was that distance also changed this year?
Have all the high school gyms you've been to this year had multiple three-point lines?

If the answer is "no" - you've answered your own question.

It’s added many kids shooting the 3 at a young age and many have no other skills. Ruined the skills of the game

I watched a 5th grade game yesterday and just for the heck of it I "charted" the shots taken..... 57% of the shots attempted were from behind the arc...... a grand total of three shots were attempted from the space on the floor between the free throw lane to the three point line.

That's shameful for a coach(es) to allow that.

The line should not be used for games below the freshman level.

I'd like to see the OHSAA only allow a 3 point shot to be 3 points in high school only. There is no need to reward junior high kids for luckily throwing in a shot that takes little skill, and that is made about 10% of the time at that level.

I'd like to see the OHSAA only allow a 3 point shot to be 3 points in high school only. There is no need to reward junior high kids for luckily throwing in a shot that takes little skill, and that is made about 10% of the time at that level.

The game has changed. We've got a lot of 5th and 6th graders making 3's at decent percentages. I don't necessarily agree with it, but you could go to a junior high game now and see 50% of the shots taken in the game be 3's.

The game has changed. We've got a lot of 5th and 6th graders making 3's at decent percentages. I don't necessarily agree with it, but you could go to a junior high game now and see 50% of the shots taken in the game be 3's.
I agree, more kids CAN shoot it now, but is it necessary? I think it sends the wrong message. I'm ok with two point and one point baskets until high school. Also I'd outlaw zone defenses until high school as well. Nothing is worse than a 7th grade game where both teams play 2-3 zones and no one learns how to play defense or box out.

I agree, more kids CAN shoot it now, but is it necessary? I think it sends the wrong message. I'm ok with two point and one point baskets until high school. Also I'd outlaw zone defenses until high school as well. Nothing is worse than a 7th grade game where both teams play 2-3 zones and no one learns how to play defense or box out.
Definitely no zone and would also be ok with eliminating the 3 point line until an older age. Don't see it happening though.

Definitely no zone and would also be ok with eliminating the 3 point line until an older age. Don't see it happening though.
I think if they could even let conferences decide on it. Now it would be easier if it came from the state level, but my feelings is they want to keep their hands off as much as possible. I'm all for creating better basketball players.

I still remember to this day when the HS BB Coach/Principal, was measuring the distance on the court while we were at recess when this was implemented.

We barely shot any 3balls in 8th grade as you really had zero reason to even practice shots that far out until then.

At 19'9" the 3 point shot is too easy. Shoot 33% from 3 and it is equal to 49.5% from 2. Most coaches will take that trade.

The shot has created a position for the stand still, decent shooter, limited defender to play on the court. Go stand in the corner to spread the floor and wait for the ball to land in your hands. You really don't have to even be that good of a shooter to fill the role. Knock down 3 or 4 out of 10 and you keep your job.

At 19'9" the 3 point shot is too easy. Shoot 33% from 3 and it is equal to 49.5% from 2. Most coaches will take that trade.

The shot has created a position for the stand still, decent shooter, limited defender to play on the court. Go stand in the corner to spread the floor and wait for the ball to land in your hands. You really don't have to even be that good of a shooter to fill the role. Knock down 3 or 4 out of 10 and you keep your job.
Doesn't seem to be that easy. In the GWOC (10 teams), there 8 players who shot 38% or better. So not even one per team.

Many youth travel leagues have the no zone rule.
Kids and a lot of parents love 3's though. The way a kids shoots a 3 at 9-12 doesn't translate to how they will shoot it at 15 and beyond, but if they continue to work on shooting form as they grow it won't necessarily "ruin" their shot.

Doesn't seem to be that easy. In the GWOC (10 teams), there 8 players who shot 38% or better. So not even one per team.

My son's team Cardinal Stritch (D3 Final 4 team) shot 45% as a team last year with over 200 "makes". Four guys shot 45% or higher.

Correction - one of the 4 shot 42% and they "only" made 181 heading into the state semi final game.

Burton, a 5-10 point guard, has started since his freshman season, and has helped the team to an 81-21 record. He is averaging 14.4 points, 4.4 rebounds, and 4.5 assists, and is shooting 42 percent (46 of 110) on 3-pointers. He has 1,388 career points.

Anderson, a 6-3 forward, has contributed 13.8 points, 7.7 rebounds, and 2.1 assists, and is shooting 51 percent (22 of 43) from 3-point range.

Holifield, a 6-2 guard, is arguably Stritch’s top all-around talent with six Division I college scholarship offers (including Toledo and Bowling Green). He adds 14.0 points, 6.6 rebounds, 3.4 assists, and 2.2 steals, and is shooting 46 percent (18 of 39) on 3-pointers. He has 1,135 career points.

“Those three have really taken this program and gotten the [other] kids excited to work hard,” Kachmarik said.

Rounding out the top six are sharp-shooting 5-5 sophomore guard Jhaiden Wilson (9.4 points), who is shooting 52 percent (61 of 118) on 3-pointers.

Correction - one of the 4 shot 42% and they "only" made 181 heading into the state semi final game.

Burton, a 5-10 point guard, has started since his freshman season, and has helped the team to an 81-21 record. He is averaging 14.4 points, 4.4 rebounds, and 4.5 assists, and is shooting 42 percent (46 of 110) on 3-pointers. He has 1,388 career points.

Anderson, a 6-3 forward, has contributed 13.8 points, 7.7 rebounds, and 2.1 assists, and is shooting 51 percent (22 of 43) from 3-point range.

Holifield, a 6-2 guard, is arguably Stritch’s top all-around talent with six Division I college scholarship offers (including Toledo and Bowling Green). He adds 14.0 points, 6.6 rebounds, 3.4 assists, and 2.2 steals, and is shooting 46 percent (18 of 39) on 3-pointers. He has 1,135 career points.

“Those three have really taken this program and gotten the [other] kids excited to work hard,” Kachmarik said.

Rounding out the top six are sharp-shooting 5-5 sophomore guard Jhaiden Wilson (9.4 points), who is shooting 52 percent (61 of 118) on 3-pointers.

Somebody should have told Genoa...

Agree. I dont know what the stats were in the Jackson Center Vs Troy Christian game Saturday, but if my memory serves correct, Jackson Center made 7 threes and about 10 free throws out of 33 points scored. So only one basket inside the arch for the game? That is too much change for my liking vs the days when you had to pound it inside.

Live by the 3 , die by the 3.

They won that game (district final) on a prayer and poor coaching decision by the other team. Their sweet spot was taking about 12 a game. In the games they struggled they got 3 happy.

Last edited:
My son's team Cardinal Stritch (D3 Final 4 team) shot 45% as a team last year with over 200 "makes". Four guys shot 45% or higher.
Good for them. Probably one of the reasons they made it so far. I just checked the site for the league I follow. If the line went away for younger kids, maybe they aren't as good in high school. Just a thought.