Thoughts on POY

CincyVB

Beginning thoughts on player of the year? Ian Cowen is definitely a strong possibility, but after recent games David Wernery is a solid contender, winning the Spikes For Tykes MVP Award. Evan Bretl has been leading St.X's offense and is their go-to hitter and could be another good option.

I'd have Cowen and Wernery 1-2 at this point. Still just barely halfway through the season so someone has a chance to come on at the end here.

I'd have Cowen and Wernery 1-2 at this point. Still just barely halfway through the season so someone has a chance to come on at the end here.
(aselder)

Agreed.

To be fair, outside of Moeller, Darby hasn't had a very tough schedule in Ohio. Darby and Cowen will be tested against the high caliber teams of Cincinnati in the Centerville Elite tournament. This is where Cowen can prove that he deserves the favorite for POY

To be fair, outside of Moeller, Darby hasn't had a very tough schedule in Ohio. Darby and Cowen will be tested against the high caliber teams of Cincinnati in the Centerville Elite tournament. This is where Cowen can prove that he deserves the favorite for POY

This is the biggest reason Moeller jumped Darby for #1 in the coaches poll today. Outside of Moeller who was struggling at the time, Darby hasn't played anyone in the top 8 yet.

They were struggling 9 days ago? And now a massive turnaround? ADSElder09 could be right, but I think the bigger reason is the ignorance of the poll voters. I can give Moeller the 1 and be okay with it, but Ignatius and X? Can't explain first place votes for them.

They were struggling 9 days ago? And now a massive turnaround? ADSElder09 could be right, but I think the bigger reason is the ignorance of the poll voters. I can give Moeller the 1 and be okay with it, but Ignatius and X? Can't explain first place votes for them.

Yes they were. They lost at home to X, lost 2 in Chicago, lost in 3 to Elder. Their only win of significance came against Alter nearly 2 weeks ago.

I'm not sure which way you're arguing this, that Moeller should be number 1 because Darby beat them on their home court (valid argument) or that Moeller should have never been ranked as low as #6 (not valid based on their record/play).

To the former, I would say look at their schedule since 4/13 when they beat Alter:
def. Alter 3-0
lost to Darby 1-3
def. LaSalle 3-0
def. St X 3-0
def. Walsh Jesuit in pool play 2-0
def. Centerville 2-1
def. Elder 2-0
def. Alter again 2-1

What's Darby done in the same time frame?
def. Davidson 3-0
def. Moeller 3-1
def. Bradley 3-0
def. Upper Arlington 3-0
Davidson is mentioned in the state polls, near the bottom of the list.

Wernery is definitely a leader, but so is Cowen. If either team lost them they would take a major hit. Moeller was without Wernery when they lost against Elder, each game only losing by a small margin and Wernery could have made the difference between a win and a loss. If Darby didn't have Cowen, I think they would take even a larger hit than Moeller without Wernery. Darby relies on Cowen to make a one option pass into a two or even three option pass, and if he wasn't there Darby might not be as highly rank as they are right now. The point is that both Cowen and Wernery have a large impact on their team, but Cowen has a slight edge over Wernery just because he is a setter and it is a harder position to fill.