This is the most popular dog name in Ohio, study says

I get the others, but not Luna.

Me either, had to look it up. I guess Luna is the name of a popular character in the Harry Potter series. Probably an increase baby girls being named that also.

The Franklin County dog shelter must have someone who assigns cute names to all the strays on their website. Saw several dogs in a row named Beetle, Beana Bear, Bailey, Button, Boston, and of course, Bella.

Pitbulls, all of them.

Last edited:
Was in line at a food truck park this past Friday and two of the three dogs were named Cooper. Alas these names will only stick for a few months before the owners shorten or give a nick name that will be the primary way they call their dog. Daughter's dog name is Hazel, it is now Haze and at times Purple Haze. All these Lunas have probably started to be called Lou and some have probably moved on to Lu Lu Lemon or when they do something bad Lucifer.

aVx8gz2_700b.jpg

Was in line at a food truck park this past Friday and two of the three dogs were named Cooper. Alas these names will only stick for a few months before the owners shorten or give a nick name that will be the primary way they call their dog. Daughter's dog name is Hazel, it is now Haze and at times Purple Haze. All these Lunas have probably started to be called Lou and some have probably moved on to Lu Lu Lemon or when they do something bad Lucifer.

aVx8gz2_700b.jpg
I actually just told Barky McBarkface, the speckled moron, to pipe down.

Never heard of any animal named Luna. Daughter has a cat named Layla. Close enough I guess.

Had a Jack Russel several years ago named Bandit, had dark circles around his eyes. A mixed boxer mastiff named Dandy that just passed away. An English Mastiff named Mica, and wife just brought home a German Shepherd and kids named it Maverick!

I'm surprised "Good Boy" didn't make the list. It's what I call every dog I see.

My grandparent had a German Shep/Rott mix guarding their home on the mountain - answered to "Ted". Loved that name.

I’ve had 4 dogs in my lifetime: Ginger, Skeeter, Bo and Reggie. We named the last in the van coming home from the breeder..,we needed an R name since mom and dad were Regal and Royal.

I guess Luna works for either male or female right? Someone in our neighborhood has a dog named Luna, can’t recall who.

I might be biased to golden retrievers, but I love all dogs. I’ll always pet (w/permission from owner) dogs when I see them in public. They give off good energy.

Last edited:
best name for a dog is..... DOG.... I think John Wayne used it in one of his movies.... CLAssic
Big Jake was the movie.

My 12 year old golden doodle is Walter/Walt/Wally. He also answers to Dumbarse. Walter was inspired by a Bonanza episode where an old prospector has this dog that does nothing but sleep, but the prospector credits him for good ideas.

My son and DIL named their cat Luna.