Thinking Of Buying A Pickup Truck

EagleGuy

I'd like to buy a new truck by year's end. I've had GMC (2), Ford and Mazda in the past. Any suggestions?

I have a 2019 Ford. My last three trucks were Ford's and I drove them into the dirt. Rusted out before the engine ever came close to failing. You cannot go wrong with GMC either. All about fit right? My Ford crew cab has a bigger back seat than the GMC so 4 people can ride comfortably. Know nothing about a Mazda truck?

Dodge has this new business model where they lease anyone a new truck for as low as $139 a mo. This new approach traps people to always leasing which is probably why you see so many on the road and so many young people behind the wheel.

Only suggestion I have regardless of brand is go gas not diesel. Todays gas engines are able to create plenty of torque and cost way less in maintenance.

Used to drive a Dakota in high school. If you arent looking for light hauling and were considering a Tundra the GMC Canyon/Chevy Colorado's are similar to that. Old work had a couple that were used for errands and light hauling along with the fleet of diesel 350s/550s. Decent gas mileage on the canyon/colorado

If you are buying used I would consider buying one in the south and driving it back up. Wont have to worry about salt on the roadways messing up your frame

How come? I'm also looking at getting a truck here soon so curious on your thoughts on the Tundra.
Probably just personal preference. I understand the Tundras hold their value longer, have better reliability, and are more drivable. Ford f150s win out on most performance metrics, but it would be more of a recreational vehicle for me, not a work vehicle. ??‍♂️

Never understood the like in Tundra? Trucks are one thing American car companies as a whole still do very well. Have a buddy who has a Tundra (2016) and IMO it does not come close. Perhaps they have improved greatly over the last 4 years?

My advice? There is little that separates these things anymore (even Tundra) and it all comes down to fit and feel (your needs/wants). Buy something you like, take care of it, and run it until it does not run anymore and then hit repeat.

How about one of those cute little Honda trucks? Hear you can actually haul a mini-fridge in the bed with the upgraded suspension. Also, has the capacity to carry a bicycle or two if you pull the wheels off of them. Bonus, if your push mower ever breaks down, you can seamlessly swap the engine from the truck. Seems like a no brainer to me.

For full size-pickups, Consumer Reports (for what it's worth) rates them:
Ram 1500 Classic
Toyota Tundra
Nissan Titan
Ram 1500
Ford F-150
Chevrolet Silverado
GMC Sierra 1500
Ford F-250

Looks like reliability is best with the Tundra.

As for the compact, they rate them:
Honda Ridgeline
Ford Ranger
Toyota Tacoma
Jeep Gladiator
Chevy Colorado
GMC Canyon

I remember when a truck was inexpensive basic transportation and/or something used on a farm or by tradesmen. Now you see $75K trucks. How times have changed.

I have a 2019 Ford. My last three trucks were Ford's and I drove them into the dirt. Rusted out before the engine ever came close to failing. You cannot go wrong with GMC either. All about fit right? My Ford crew cab has a bigger back seat than the GMC so 4 people can ride comfortably. Know nothing about a Mazda truck?

Dodge has this new business model where they lease anyone a new truck for as low as $139 a mo. This new approach traps people to always leasing which is probably why you see so many on the road and so many young people behind the wheel.
I liked my Ford Ranger and forgot I once had a Chevy Silverado. One of my GMCs was actually a Suburban work vehicle. The one I have now is a 1991 Sonoma w/only 85k miles on it. My son wants to use it on the farm, so it's time for poppa to get another.

The only new one I ever had was the Mazda, a good truck for the price ($6500 sticker, $5500 paid). Wouldn't mind having any of them back.

Never had a truck myself. Anyone have thoughts on that new truck they are making at Lordstown? It’s all electric I believe, but cool to see a new brand out Ohio

We have not owned a car in 34 years. We bought a Chrysler minivan in '84 and I bought a Chevy S10 in '86. We are on our 5th minivan and I am on my 4th truck.

I will park my truck inside seven months of the year. A regular cab, short bed, full size truck might fit in my 60 year old garage if I fold in the mirrors, but I don't think I could open the doors to get out..

I had a quad cab Dodge Dakota V-8 for 11 years. When the rust extended to the frame and the frame started to bend I took it to the junk yard. Two months ago I bought a Chevy Colorado coming off a two year lease with less than 26,000 miles. It's the extended cab with a 4 cylinder that averages 24 MPG. So far I like it a lot.

12 year old Saturn, no rust, 34mpg and I've hauled as much in it as most of those 250 diesal driving bushy beard dooshes ever haul.

12 year old Saturn, no rust, 34mpg and I've hauled as much in it as most of those 250 diesal driving bushy beard dooshes ever haul.
Last year I bought a 99 Silverado as a work truck and I've used that thing quite a bit more than the average truck user does. It's great because I can beat the hell out of it and not have to worry about small dents and stuff. So my recommendation to the OP would be to buy a cheap older truck then buy a new car for your daily driver.

Last year I bought a 99 Silverado as a work truck and I've used that thing quite a bit more than the average truck user does. It's great because I can beat the hell out of it and not have to worry about small dents and stuff. So my recommendation to the OP would be to buy a cheap older truck then buy a new car for your daily driver.
It was around the mid 90's that truck companies figured they could sell high end trucks as luxury vehicles to retires and soon to be retirees. I'll never forget driving my 1984 Silverado that I would leave the windows down when it rained :) and having a neighbor come ask me to pick up some stone for him even though he had a brand new bells and whistles Dodge Ram 1500. My look to him had to be priceless and of course I did it anyway.

Only suggestion I have regardless of brand is go gas not diesel. Todays gas engines are able to create plenty of torque and cost way less in maintenance.
Copy that. My brother-in-law swears by them (diesel) due to the better mileage. Of course, he doesn't figure in the greater cost of diesel. smh

Yep. Today's gas engines are much better today than yesterday. Fuel injection quickly comes to mind, for example.

I still have an 87 F-150. I use it so little I have no desire to buy a new one.

Though if I were, a new Ford would probably be the route I'd take. My father in law has one at his business and my friend has a Raptor. Both great trucks and assuming the 87 ever finally fully fails to move, I'll finally give in.

I still have an 87 F-150. I use it so little I have no desire to buy a new one.

Though if I were, a new Ford would probably be the route I'd take. My father in law has one at his business and my friend has a Raptor. Both great trucks and assuming the 87 ever finally fully fails to move, I'll finally give in.
What's the mileage on the '87?