The "War on Christmas"

I don't see anything in the article that leads me to believe the attack was related to him saying Merry Christmas...

Is there a rash of these attacks? Organized? How did this become a "war" in your mind?

I don't think I made an assertion that this constituted a "War on Christmas". In fact, I do believe I stated I was one who generally discounted the idea (which is why I put the term in quotes, just like you did). I simply stated that one shouldn't be physically attacked for saying the phrase "Merry Christmas".

I don't see anything in the article that leads me to believe the attack was related to him saying Merry Christmas...

Yeah I don't see it either.

While they certainly did not have an interview with the assailant, the article does certainly imply it, since they state that the assailant didn't try to take any of the money collected. But you are right, there is no direct evidence of what the motive was. Do either of you have a theory as to why this gentleman was attacked?

Just because he didn't try to take any of the money doesn't therefore mean he was attacked for saying Merry Christmas. That's quite a leap.

Even if he did, he's one insane person, who cares? You've stated multiple times you don't think someone should be physically assaulted for saying Merry Christmas. Do you think anyone here doesn't share that opinion?

Conclusion: terrible thread, email yappi and beg him to delete it and scrub it from the internet if possible.

Last edited:
No it's a war on Christianity.

You are very sensitive...I drove around Cincinnati today...radio playing Christmas music (XM has 4 dedicated stations) Went to Mall where it was raining Christmas displays everywhere. Even the Muslim owner of the VERY crowded liquor store on Tylersville wished everyone a Merry Christmas as the Christians bought their Holiday booze.

Last edited:
I don't see enough in that article to support any theories on why he was attacked, presuming he was. Even he didn't say.We know nothing about the person that did it.

Only outlandish speculation could be supplied. :shrug:

While they certainly did not have an interview with the assailant, the article does certainly imply it, since they state that the assailant didn't try to take any of the money collected. But you are right, there is no direct evidence of what the motive was. Do either of you have a theory as to why this gentleman was attacked?

The author comes out and says "sadly, those two simple words got this bell ringer knocked out" after the bell ringer said he greets everyone with "merry Christmas".

The article doesn't imply it....it flat out says it. Even though there isn't any evidence of that.

Bad journalism.

You are very sensitive...I drove around Cincinnati today...radio playing Christmas music (XM has 4 dedicated stations) Went to Mall where it was raining Christmas displays everywhere. Even the Muslim owner of the VERY crowded liquor store on Tylersville wished everyone a Merry Christmas as the Christians bought their Holiday booze.

And your point is?

Christmas started the war by changing Jesus's birthday from springtime to compete with winter solstice celebrations. What about the war on pagan's?
On the first day of solstice my true love gave to me, 1 minute of extra darkness...

The OP is obviously trolling for a debate on the "PCness" on the greeting of "Merry Christmas." That is all getting a little old. A few weeks ago 45 said that he was bringing Christmas back to the White House. I don't believe that it ever left the WH. It's not a surprise that 45 would get in on the trolling as well as he thought that the mention would appeal to his base.

Those that get angry with the greeting phrase of the words "Merry Christmas" are being petulant. Those that attempt to instigate controversy and feign outrage over our society becoming too "PC" are being petulant as well. As a Jew, I don't celebrate Christmas. In this past week alone I probably had 10 people wish me a Merry Christmas. Did I care? Hell no. I returned the greeting. I'm just glad that people were in a good mood and being friendly. Those that troll for reactions on the issue are being petty. It's all a non issue. Merry Christmas, everyone.

(Interestingly, though, as I got older, I learned that some of my German Jewish ancestors would actually have Christmas trees and other adornations displayed at home to signify their secular inclusion in society. That tradition actually continues in some homes today. Oh, the outrage!!).

Happy Kwanza Roh!!

:laugh: Wrong celebration for me. The last time I checked I didn't have any African ancestors. I think Kwanzaa starts the day after Christmas, though, so while I'm out and about today over the next few days I think I'll be wishing any black people that I see a "Happy Kwanzaa." I'll see if anyone tries to get into a fight with me.

:laugh: Wrong celebration for me. The last time I checked I didn't have any African ancestors. I think Kwanzaa starts the day after Christmas, though, so while I'm out and about today over the next few days I think I'll be wishing any black people that I see a "Happy Kwanzaa." I'll see if anyone tries to get into a fight with me.

Sounds like a great idea. Blacks love to be stereotyped.

Hearing reports that "some" not all public school systems seem to be having a war with Christmas. Things like you cannot have Christmas trees or Christmas parties or sing Christmas songs etc, but it is OK to have a winter holiday whatever.

It's not even an African holiday, it was created in the late 1960s for African-Americans so they could have a black holiday.

It's not even an African holiday, it was created in the late 1960s for African-Americans so they could have a black holiday.

So you're saying it's an American holiday and you're still beatchin?

Why is anyone intimidated because someone has a celebration, a very positive celebration, a celebration created to direct energies from violence towards culture, that neither takes away nor attempts to take away from any other celebration nor is restrictive in who is permitted to celebrate it? I've not even heard any of those silly "appropriation" claims. I don't see anyone here being excluded because or race or culture. Far as I've ever seen, anyone is permitted to partake.

Unity, Self Determination, Collective Work and Responsibility, Cooperative Economics, Purpose, Creativity and Faith. Many of these I've heard you criticize communities for NOT having now you beatch because someone wants to promote them?

Make up your mind.

Who gives a . Just wish someone a happy holidays. You don’t know what they celebrate and it covers everything. If it’s someone you know celebrates Christmas, say Merry Christmas.

What's the problem with exchanging a "Merry Christmas" when given a "Happy Hanukkah?" It's just two people wishing each other well, not an attempt to convert.

If someone specifically asks that someone not greet them in a "merry" way then I'm not going to "hold my ground," to try and annoy or display my rights. It would be counter to my purposes for wishing them well, it would be counter to what I'm celebrating.

Also I really don't want someone to feel forced into a generic greeting. I want them to feel free to wish me well in a way that matters to them. If someone wishes me a "Happy" whatever I don't celebrate or maybe even believe in, I simply take it as the well wishes offered.

So you're saying it's an American holiday and you're still beatchin?

Make up your mind.

My point was, if you are trying to unify you don't create a fictitious holiday and reserve it for part of the population. I don't care if you celebrate National Hobo Day (2nd weekend of August), it just has little to no meaning for the vast majority of people.

I am NOT a Christian and it does not bug me one bit if someone tells me to have a "Merry Christmas". I also wish people Merry Christmas as well. It is not a big deal......