The Next Ohio State Basketball Coach?

cjb56

At one point I thought Thad would get another season, but now I'm not so sure. I think Thad's health troubles have finally gotten the best of him. Too bad, because he was running a great program for his first ten years and he's only 49 years old. He looks 65 now, though, and the program keeps unraveling.

If Thad goes, who do you want to see replace him? My list would include Chris Mack (X), Archie Miller (UD), Gregg Marshall (Wichita), Cuonzo Martin (Cal), Ben Howland (Miss St). I do not want to see Chris Jent get the job, and for some reason I've never warmed to Mick Cronin.

Out of the group I listed, I'd probably go with Archie...mostly due to age, but he knows the state, knows OSU and is an accomplished head coach.

There are others out there I'm sure would be good choices, but off the top of my head is the five I mentioned.

Last edited:

Mark Gottfried is out at NC State after this year. If OSU thinks Miller is their man, they need to start the ball rolling asap - if they haven't already. Frankly, I think 1227 is the best coach for the job! :banana:

Mark Gottfried is out at NC State after this year. If OSU thinks Miller is their man, they need to start the ball rolling asap - if they haven't already. Frankly, I think 1227 is the best coach for the job! :banana:

Yep. NC State has targeted Miller, an alum, so OSU would have to jump quick if they want him. That would mean a decision would pretty much already have to be made about Thad.

Chris Mack isn't leaving XU for OSU. I'd have to guess Marshall has gotten calls from better programs in the past but has yet to leave. Howland would be okay, but they'll be similar to Thad's OSU teams: usually competes, never wins it all, has some down years.

I'm not one of the people on the Archie bandwagon. He had one good year in 2014, but even this year isn't that great.

People initially see the 21-5 record, but look under the covers. The Flyers have losses to Nebraska, Northwestern, and St. Mary's. Their biggest win was against either Alabama or Vanderbilt? Big deal.

If you're going to fire Thad, you'd better go bigger than Archie, and open the checkbook to do it.

Marshall is making $3 million right now, and is scheduled to go up to $3.5 million. Marshall's buyout is really low at $500k.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article37868070.html

Thad is already at $3.4 million, and Ohio State has the money to pay at least $4 million per year. They could dangle $4.5 million out there, and Wichita State couldn't match it. They're maxed out with Marshall's current contract.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2016/02/ohio_state_why_thad_matta_migh.html

For comparison's sake, Meyer is making approximately $6 million per year, and that will rise to an average of $6.5 million.

Everyone also talks about Chris Mack, but he's no miracle worker either. He's struggling right now with injuries, and Xavier has lost three in a row, including a couple of games to teams no better than Ohio State. If you don't have Jimmies and Joes to put out there on the court, it's awfully hard to win.

I'm not one of the people on the Archie bandwagon. He had one good year in 2014, but even this year isn't that great.

People initially see the 21-5 record, but look under the covers. The Flyers have losses to Nebraska, Northwestern, and St. Mary's. Their biggest win was against either Alabama or Vanderbilt? Big deal.

If you're going to fire Thad, you'd better go bigger than Archie, and open the checkbook to do it.

Marshall is making $3 million right now, and is scheduled to go up to $3.5 million. Marshall's buyout is really low at $500k.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article37868070.html

Thad is already at $3.4 million, and Ohio State has the money to pay at least $4 million per year. They could dangle $4.5 million out there, and Wichita State couldn't match it. They're maxed out with Marshall's current contract.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2016/02/ohio_state_why_thad_matta_migh.html

For comparison's sake, Meyer is making approximately $6 million per year, and that will rise to an average of $6.5 million.

Everyone also talks about Chris Mack, but he's no miracle worker either. He's struggling right now with injuries, and Xavier has lost three in a row, including a couple of games to teams no better than Ohio State. If you don't have Jimmies and Joes to put out there on the court, it's awfully hard to win.

Do you follow Dayton? In Archie Millers' tenure at UD they've been to the tournament every season(Elite 8 two seasons ago) and this year's senior class has won the most the most games in the storied history of UD basketball and for the first time ever UD will make the tournament 4 consecutive years by a long shot and he's had four consecutive seasons winning 20+ games. Who do you think recruited that class?
2 of those three losses that you mentioned are to top 25 teams (St. Mary's, Northwestern)

Do you realize 3 of their best players have been out due to injury and their 7'0 foot center passed away last summer? And Dayton is as Mid-Major as you can get so he doesn't have the resources to recruit high school All-Americans but still wins. Plus he can flat out coach!

So I'd say he's had more than one great year, for the last two years, it's more than Ohio State can say.

There's a reason Ohio State and N.C. State are knocking on his door!

Do you follow Dayton? In Archie Millers' tenure at UD they've been to the tournament every season(Elite 8 two seasons ago) and this year's senior class has won the most the most games in the storied history of UD basketball and for the first time ever UD will make the tournament 4 consecutive years by a long shot and he's had four consecutive seasons winning 20+ games. Who do you think recruited that class?
2 of those three losses that you mentioned are to top 25 teams (St. Mary's, Northwestern)

Do you realize 3 of their best players have been out due to injury and their 7'0 foot center passed away last summer? And Dayton is as Mid-Major as you can get so he doesn't have the resources to recruit high school All-Americans but still wins. Plus he can flat out coach!

So I'd say he's had more than one great year, for the last two years, it's more than Ohio State can say.

There's a reason Ohio State and N.C. State are knocking on his door!
Making the NCAA tournament four consecutive years, and 20 win seasons aren't a big deal at Ohio State. The guy Ohio State fans want to fire right now had been to 7 straight NCAA tournaments with a National Runner-up, a Final Four, an Elite Eight, and two Sweet Sixteens.

In fact, it should have been 10 straight NCAA tournaments, but there was a year in there when they won the NIT. Prior to this season, they won 20+ games 13 seasons in a row.

Sorry if I'm not blown away by what Archie has done at Dayton.

You still haven't answered the point about who has Dayton really beaten this year? It's no one of any noteworthiness, and they've lost to a team Ohio State beat once & should have beaten twice. Ohio State fans are going off the deep end over a loss to that team, while Dayton fans are looking at it as part of a great season.

Sorry, not impressed with Archie. NC State can have him for all I care.

So taking a mid major program that has struggled for decades and done what he has done with all of the injuries and the death of Steve Mcilvene is not enough to impress you. Good thing the Bucks won't be asking you to pick the next coach.

Last edited:
Making the NCAA tournament four consecutive years, and 20 win seasons aren't a big deal at Ohio State. The guy Ohio State fans want to fire right now had been to 7 straight NCAA tournaments with a National Runner-up, a Final Four, an Elite Eight, and two Sweet Sixteens.

In fact, it should have been 10 straight NCAA tournaments, but there was a year in there when they won the NIT. Prior to this season, they won 20+ games 13 seasons in a row.

Sorry if I'm not blown away by what Archie has done at Dayton.

You still haven't answered the point about who has Dayton really beaten this year? It's no one of any noteworthiness, and they've lost to a team Ohio State beat once & should have beaten twice. Ohio State fans are going off the deep end over a loss to that team, while Dayton fans are looking at it as part of a great season.

Sorry, not impressed with Archie. NC State can have him for all I care.

Doesn't matter who they've beaten it's impressive to the committee and thanks for validating my point even further.

By the way what school did Thad Matta come from.......................?

I think it was a little Mid-Major in Cincinnati where Chris Mack currently works
:Ohno::Ohno::Ohno::Ohno:

Doesn't matter who they've beaten it's impressive to the committee and thanks for validating my point even further.
Dayton beating a bunch of nobodies to get in the tournament is meaningless, because the Flyers will be one-and-done. They will certainly have to play someone better than Northwestern and Nebraska.

Northwestern and Nebraska.[/QUOTE]

Nebraska 58

Ohio State 57

Northwestern 74

Ohio State 72

Ohio State 67

Nebraska 66
Looks like the Buckeyes struggled against the "nobodies" this year........

Nebraska 58
Ohio State 57

Northwestern 74
Ohio State 72

Ohio State 67
Nebraska 66
Looks like the Buckeyes struggled against the "nobodies" this year........
At least Ohio State beat one of those teams whereas Dayton did not.

You know damn well when I say "nobodies," I'm talking about the teams in the Atlantic 10.

Hell, Northwestern and Nebraska would be the Atlantic 10 champs.

Let's see Dayton beat anyone nearly as good as Wisconsin.

Let's see Ohio State beat them them again. Wisconsin that is. Truth be told I think the Big Ten is weak over all.

Let's see Ohio State beat them them again. Wisconsin that is. Truth be told I think the Big Ten is weak over all.
Truth be told, I think SEC basketball is totally irrelevant, other than Kentucky.

Also, Ohio State's win over Wisconsin wasn't just some by the skin of their teeth kind of win. The Buckeyes totally dominated the Badgers in Columbus, just as the Badgers had done to the Buckeyes in the game at Madison.