The Last Boy Scout...Gambling in sports.....

Thavoice

With more and more players getting caught gambling:

How far do we think this will go with players/coaches/insiders/proxies?

Last Boy Scout was a movie from the 90s, a player kicked out of the "NFL" for gambling, drugs, legalizing fight among owners/politicians, players pressured to pay debts leading to an on field shooting............

Did this movie foreshadow the dirty future of sports and gambling????

Sports and gambling scandals have been around forever and will continue.
* 1919 Chicago Whitesox
* 1950/51 NYCC College basketball point shaving scandal
* 1963 Paul Hornung & Alex Karras betting scandal
* 1978/79 Boston College basketball
* 1984 Art Schlister
* 2007 NBA referee Tom Donaghy
* 2023/24 NBA Jontay Porter
*** There are several more scandals, these are just the ones off the top of my head.

Basketball is the sport easily manipulated by gamblers since it only takes a player or two.

Gambling in Europe has been heavily involved with soccer for decades and despite various scandals, the sport & gambling continued on. So too will US sports and its gambling.

I think the next big thing will be college athletes who don't land big NIL deals. You have alot of money involved, uneducated, inexperienced athletes involved who have inner knowledge of what's going on with teams (injuries/ strageties, etc.) and potential dirty family members.... I mean, what could go wrong, eh?

I think the next big thing will be college athletes who don't land big NIL deals. You have alot of money involved, uneducated, inexperienced athletes involved who have inner knowledge of what's going on with teams (injuries/ strageties, etc.) and potential dirty family members.... I mean, what could go wrong, eh?
NIL has nothing to do with it. If anything, NIL helps reduce the incentive. The exact same opportunities existed before NIL with a much larger group of kids in worse financial situations.

Basketball is the sport easily manipulated by gamblers since it only takes a player or two.
Had this thought this morning myself when I saw the Jontay Porter story. Basketball is so subjective in calls and player effort that this is going to be a pretty big problem going forward. It's a lot harder to rig football or soccer.

All three major sports leagues have partnered with various gambling outlets. These incidents will happen more and more unless and until Congress grows some balls and put a stop to it.

They have made player prop bets illegal in the NCAA which is a step in the right direction. Can't believe the OP left out our hometown hero Pete from his list. That's the first one that always comes to my mind.

Had this thought this morning myself when I saw the Jontay Porter story. Basketball is so subjective in calls and player effort that this is going to be a pretty big problem going forward. It's a lot harder to rig football or soccer.
It just irks me when these sports talk shows, just continues to pander to these betting sites/ companies. Talk about selling your soul to the devil.

It just irks me when these sports talk shows, just continues to pander to these betting sites/ companies. Talk about selling your soul to the devil.
And beer companies? One would think alcohol is a much bigger problem in this country than gambling.

The AM station I listen to most of the day has some ESPN sports talk show on beginning at 6PM. All they talk about is the betting lines and related info. I can't stand it.

The AM station I listen to most of the day has some ESPN sports talk show on beginning at 6PM. All they talk about is the betting lines and related info. I can't stand it.
It's crazy, it's like the games have become secondary. Then again, ESPN is getting a ton of money because the gambling companies know that guys can't control their betting. I love the apps that GIVE you $200-$300 to bet for free. They know that a certain percentage will not be able to control themselves and they'll start their own gambling addiction.
I'll call this right now, in 10-15 years some of the companies will be sued for getting people addicted to gambling. Look at the tobacco companies, and the pharmaceutical companies. Same thing. We just keep doing the same dumb stuff.

Like and respect JJ Redick as a player and announcer, but this is just wrong, and this is an example of what these companies do. This really isn't much different than scammers who prey on the elderly. We've made gambling mainstream.

1713803929054.png

Like and respect JJ Redick as a player and announcer, but this is just wrong, and this is an example of what these companies do. This really isn't much different than scammers who prey on the elderly. We've made gambling mainstream.

View attachment 57698
It's wrong to make money from advertising or just wrong to do it from gambling vs beer? Preying on alcoholics is OK? WTF?

It's wrong to make money from advertising or just wrong to do it from gambling vs beer? Preying on alcoholics is OK? WTF?
I get what your saying and I'm all for capitalism, I just think it's so gaudy to be in an industry where the potential to hurt people financially is high, and to just slap the 1-800-gambling help tag on the commercials it just a joke. Same thing with alcolohl. Drink out product, but if you have an drinking problem, call this number to get help? I mean really??? Just tell us you're out to make money and stop the ruse.

I get what your saying and I'm all for capitalism, I just think it's so gaudy to be in an industry where the potential to hurt people financially is high, and to just slap the 1-800-gambling help tag on the commercials it just a joke. Same thing with alcolohl. Drink out product, but if you have a drinking problem, call this number to get help? I mean really??? Just tell us you're out to make money and stop the ruse.
They are all out to make money. Nobody is hiding it.

Let’s be clear, to the overwhelming majority of people, gambling is just entertainment. Just because some people abuse it does not mean it is bad like you seem to infer. Some people ruin their lives with sex addiction.