The Dock's newsletter & pick'em (wk 5 GAMES are on post #160)

Bishop Hartley

Toledo Central Catholic

Coldwater

Bishop Watterson

Pickerington Central

Glenville

Westerville South

Dublin Jerome

Bradley

Hilliard Davidson

Dock's Picks, Week 2

Harvest Prep (I believe in you, Warriors.)
Toledo Central Catholic
Bellefontaine (oooh, this is the one I feel uneasy about)
Bishop Watterson
Pickerington Central
Glenville
Westerville South
Dublin Jerome
Hilliard Bradley
Hilliard Davidson

Low-key kinda hope New Albany and Big Walnut just cancel their respective contracts with Walnut Ridge and Beechcroft next week, so that NA/Big Nut can meet up (will be televised on CW Friday Night Lights) and WR/Croft can link up if the board and CEA come to an agreement.

Week 2 Picks
Harvest Prep
Toledo Central Catholic
Coldwater
Bishop Watterson
Pickerington Central
Glenville
Westerville South
Whitmer
Hilliard Bradley
Hilliard Davidson

Last edited:
Week '2' games.

Bishop Hartley

Toledo Central Catholic

Coldwater

Bishop Watterson

Pickerington Central

Olentangy Liberty

Westerville South

Dublin Jerome

Hilliard Darby

Hilliard Davidson

Bishop Hartley
Toledo Central Catholic
Coldwater
Bishop Watterson
Pickerington Central
Glenville
Westerville South
Whitmer
Hilliard Darby
Grove City

Low-key kinda hope New Albany and Big Walnut just cancel their respective contracts with Walnut Ridge and Beechcroft next week, so that NA/Big Nut can meet up (will be televised on CW Friday Night Lights) and WR/Croft can link up if the board and CEA come to an agreement.
This is exactly what Big Walnut needs! A huge test that if they take an L it still prepares them for Massillon. If they win? A program defining win that could springboard them to a deep run

This is exactly what Big Walnut needs! A huge test that if they take an L it still prepares them for Massillon. If they win? A program defining win that could springboard them to a deep run
A) Croft can’t meaningfully challenge Big Walnut.

B) ‘Ridge has been down for a short minute, but they’ve been down down. The City League will need a year, or two, of healing and return to normalcy (permanency) to get back in gear across the board. This hypothetical opponent swap (NA/BW; WR/B’croft) is a quicker and more useful means to that end than the original contracts.

Bishop Hartley

Toledo Central Catholic

Bellefontaine

Bishop Watterson

Pickerington

Westerville South

Whitmer

Hilliard Darby

Hilliard Davidson

Week 2 picks:

Bishop Hartley
Toledo Central Catholic
Coldwater
Bishop Watterson
Pickerington Central
Glenville
Westerville Central
Whitmer
Hilliard Bradley
Hilliard Davidson

This looks like fun......thanks for the late invite The Dock!!

Hartley

Toledo Central Catholic

Coldwater

Scioto

Pk Central

Liberty

Wv South

Jerome

Bradley

Davidson

PS.....Nice story by Tony Mirones from NBC4 WCMH, '' The night the lights go out in Gahanna" as the 95 year old Lincoln Stadium & Field will make room for the new Lincoln High. Friday is the last home game of the season with Groveport Madison, a nice read for history buffs for the Central Ohio High School fans! Dock always enjoy your reads here on the YAP!

This looks like fun......thanks for the late invite The Dock!!

Hartley 0-1

Toledo Central Catholic 1-1

Coldwater 2-1

Scioto 2-2

Pk Central 2-3

Liberty 2-4

Wv South 3-4

Jerome 4-4

Bradley 5-4

Davidson 6-4

PS.....Nice story by Tony Mirones from NBC4 WCMH, '' The night the lights go out in Gahanna" as the 95 year old Lincoln Stadium & Field will make room for the new Lincoln High. Friday is the last home game of the season with Groveport Madison, a nice read for history buffs for the Central Ohio High School fans! Dock always enjoy your reads here on the YAP!
Welcome, man.

Thanks for mentioning the story from NBC4 — I remember coming across a Tweet earlier in the week about it. Gahanna, the community, has a good tradition and it’s come a long way these last 5-10 years. Hope everyone can enjoy the final Friday night there, tomorrow, and soak it all in. History walks among the blessed in attendance.

Last edited:
A) Croft can’t meaningfully challenge Big Walnut.

B) ‘Ridge has been down for a short minute, but they’ve been down down. The City League will need a year, or two, of healing and return to normalcy (permanency) to get back in gear across the board. This hypothetical opponent swap (NA/BW; WR/B’croft) is a quicker and more useful means to that end than the original contracts.

Your sarcasm meter is off, he is making fun of how chicken BW is in scheduling their OOC games. And rightly so.

The Lions had 15 positive tests as of Aug. 25, leaving them with a roster of fewer than 30 available players. The cases of infection have grown throughout the week.

Worth remembering that Bexley and their bloc of the MSL demanded to have crossover games in the mid-2010’s (2014-2016), and that 3x playoff qualifier Bexley in that span played woefully thread-barren D7’s FCA and Millersport as their crossovers.

Last edited:
Week '2' games.

Bishop Hartley

Toledo Central Catholic

Coldwater

Dublin Scioto

Pickerington Central

Glenville

Westerville South

Dublin Jerome

Bradley

Hilliard Davidson

Week '2' games.

Bishop Hartley 0-1

Coldwater 2-1

Dublin Scioto 2-2

Pickerington Central 2-3

Glenville 3-3

Westerville South 4-3

Dublin Jerome 5-3

Bradley 6-3

Hilliard Davidson 6-4
Welcome, friend.

Last edited:
Harvest Prep

Toledo Central Catholic

Bellefontaine

Bishop Watterson

Elder

Glenville

Westerville South

Whitmer

Bradley

Hilliard Davidson

Your sarcasm meter is off, he is making fun of how chicken BW is in scheduling their OOC games. And rightly so.
I actually wasn’t being sarcastic. But also you’re kind of right as well. If Big Walnut ever wants to be anything other than champ of the OCC Light they need to schedule those tougher games. Take an L early and learn from it or get a W against a perceived superior program and let it launch your season to be something special. That’s what the great programs do at least. Much better than a grudge match against Beechcroft….unless of course your goal is simply to have a great regular season record and get your JV players some time u see the lights

Week '2' games.

Bishop Hartley vs Harvest Prep

Clev. Benedictine vs Toledo Central Catholic

Coldwater vs Bellefontaine

Bishop Watterson vs Dublin Scioto

Pickerington Central vs Elder

Glenville vs Olentangy Liberty

Westerville Central vs Westerville South

Dublin Jerome vs Whitmer

Hilliard Darby vs Bradley

Hilliard Davidson vs Grove City
Why not, I'll join:

Bishop Hartley
Toledo Central Catholic
Coldwater
Dublin Scioto
Elder
Glenville
Westerville South
Whitmer
Hilliard Darby
Hilliard Davidson

Why not, I'll join:

Bishop Hartley 0-1
Coldwater 2-1
Dublin Scioto 2-2
Elder 3-2
Glenville 4-2
Westerville South 5-2
Whitmer 5-3
Hilliard Darby 5-4
Hilliard Davidson 6-4
Welcome, friend.

Last edited:
Week 2 game winners

Harvest Prep (Dock 1-0… HP scores the game-winner 40-35 with :05 left 😬)

Toledo Central Catholic (Dock 2-0)

Coldwater (Dock 2-1 😠)

Bishop Watterson (Dock 3-1)

Elder (Dock 3-2 😣)

Glenville (Dock 4-2)

Westerville South (Dock 5-2)

Dublin Jerome (Dock 6-2)

Hilliard Bradley (Dock 7-2)

Hilliard Davidson (Dock 8-2.)

I’ll have everyone else’s tallied soon. First, some coffee. EDIT: no, laptop, I do not want to run a BIOS update right now. Especially not after driving for four hours. 😡
Dock’s Picks, Week 2 (Post #32)
Harvest Prep (I believe in you, Warriors.)
Toledo Central Catholic
Bellefontaine (oooh, this is the one I feel uneasy about)
Bishop Watterson
Pickerington Central
Glenville
Westerville South
Dublin Jerome
Hilliard Bradley
Hilliard Davidson

Last edited:
Week '2' = 6-4

Bishop Hartley 0-1

Coldwater 2-1

Bishop Watterson 3-1

Pickerington Central 3-2

Olentangy Liberty 3-3

Westerville South 4-3

Dublin Jerome 5-3

Hilliard Darby 5-4

Hilliard Davidson 6-4
Week 2 picks: 7-3

Bishop Hartley 0-1
Coldwater 2-1
Bishop Watterson 3-1
Pickerington Central 4-1
Glenville 5-1
Westerville Central 5-2
Whitmer 5-3
Hilliard Bradley 6-3
Hilliard Davidson 7-3

Harvest Prep 1-0

Toledo Central Catholic 2-0

Bellefontaine 2-1

Bishop Watterson 3-1

Elder 4-1

Glenville 5-1

Westerville South 6-1

Whitmer 6-2

Bradley 7-2

Hilliard Davidson 8-2
Bishop Hartley 0-1

Coldwater 2-1

Bishop Watterson 3-1

Pickerington Central 3-2

Glenville 4-2

Westerville South 5-2

Dublin Jerome 6-2

Bradley 7-2

Hilliard Davidson 8-2
Week 2 Picks 8-2
Harvest Prep 1-0
Toledo Central Catholic 2-0
Coldwater 3-0
Bishop Watterson 4-0
Pickerington Central 4-1
Glenville 5-1
Westerville South 6-1
Whitmer 6-2
Hilliard Bradley 7-2
Hilliard Davidson 8-2

Everyone else's week '2' sums, with running counts game-by-game for week '2', I edited into the quoted portions of my welcome message. (See, there was a point in greeting you!)

Week 2 results for the week 1 entrants
JokesOnYou: 8-2
danville96: 8-2
Dockers: 8-2
WJ-OSU-Steelers: 7-3

Week 2 results for newcomers
ElDuderino: 8-2
watty1991: 6-4
Big GLHS: 6-4
DubPub88: 6-4
LCL: 6-4
Burreaux: 5-5
ayCC!: 4-6
bballfan48: 4-6
ceebass13: 4-5

OVERALL STANDINGS THROUGH WEEK 2

Docked Pay: 16-4
danville96: 13-7
JokesOnYou: 13-7
WJ-OSU-Steelers: 12-8

*ElDuderino: 8-2
OUBobcat_W.J. 6-4
*watty1991: 6-4
*Big GLHS: 6-4
*DubPub88: 6-4
*LCL: 6-4
*Burreaux: 5-5
TCSoup: 4-6
*ayCC!: 4-6
*bballfan48: 4-6
*ceebass13: 4-5
(*) denotes week 2 entrants

So, to preface, this will likely be two concurrent competitions (err, flights... those who have picked every week, and those who missed a week.) Bigger tent means more activity and more fun. There's still a prize if you win the flight of 'missed a week' pickers. Can't promise it's a good prize!

Remember -- '2' extra points for everyone, every week, when I go below 8-2 for the given week. Hasn't happened yet, but it still could! Came pretty dang close this week to happening! If not for quarterback Aiden Rogers' game-winning touchdown with five seconds to go to propel Harvest Prep over Bishop Hartley, I wouldn't have a three game lead on the first flight.

Congrats to @JokesOnYou for not doing the classic Dock strategy (which I apply to literally everything involving my teams) of "pick against your team", as his Harvest Prep Warriors earned a statement win on the Columbus east side and himself a game win in this week's pick'em. @danville96 got the rare double duo this week of correctly picking Harvest Prep and Elder.

Whitmer was a common pick, but in the same vein as @danville96, @Burreaux successfully picked the rare combination of Elder AND Jerome for this week.

Congrats to @ElDuderino on his 8-2 mark. A dubious congratulations to @ceebass13 who forgot to pick Glenville vs Liberty.

A write-up from this weekend, plus Dock abandoned his original plans in the riddle for this week, soon...

Week 2 results (and standings) are in the post above.

TOMMY BOY: Congrats to the Cardinals of Ye' Olde Thomas Worthington for their 2-0 start on the year, throttling crosstown rival Kilbourne 38-0. As I write the YOTW reference, I think "what's the man Harrycrane saying to himself" and I also think "wherever 'Walking Boss' of Huddle yesteryear is, today, he's smiling." Dimitrious Stanley, too, is probably smiling! Listening into the Overtime Scoreboard show on 97.1 The Fan as I finally get out of the redneck stretch of 71, a good point was proffered by "the guru" Lee Cochran: Grove City vs Thomas Worthington week '3' will be an interesting gauge to see where two programs, both of whom with infamous struggles recently, are at.

WADE GETS HIS 'W': Congrats to Wade Bartholomew for his first win as the coach of Olentangy. This sounded like an odd game just by piecing together the periodic updates. By the time I drove past Kings' Island NDCL was up 15 late in the 3rd, but I come home and saw that the Braves won in overtime 34-28. Sounded like a gutsy win. Intrigued to hear more.

FORCES COLLIDE WEEK '3': Pick North comes back from PA with a dominant 42-0 win over a typically reputable Pine-Richland program, which sets in motion the vaunted Pick North vs Upper Arlington matchup that folks are salivating toward. Oooh!

WARRIORS, YOU KNOW: Harvest Prep with two statement 'w's over Central Ohio mid-size darlings Bloom-Carroll and Bishop Hartley.

BLOWING AT 3 MILES PER HOUR: The Gales of Lancaster have been shut out the first two weeks of the season. Not good!

DOUBLE VISION: The Westerville South Wildcats are off to a 2-0 start on the year, aided by twin 30-7 victories over Olentangy and Westerville Central respectively.

HE THREW FOR HOW MANY?: Not Central Ohio, but Medina quarterback Dan Stoddard threw for 620 yards and six touchdowns in a heartbreaking loss to Avon 43-42.

WHERE THE DOCK WAS SUPPOSED TO GO: "The worst traffic light in Fairfield County, between Columbus and the Ohio River" is the light on U.S. 33 at Sugar Grove Road. I was supposed to go to Portsmouth Notre Dame and Berne Union, per my original riddle, but a change of plans rendered that useless.

WHERE DID THE DOCK GO: Concrete seats!

HUH?: Post #60 will tell you.

PLEASE, GOD...: ...give us New Albany and Big Walnut for week '3'.

THERE'S NOTHING LIKE IT.

Always wanted to do it, but the can kept getting kicked down the road -- like ingratiating yourself toward the new neighbors you have a friendly "waving" relationship with but are too shy to talk to. Too many years have passed by, and this year was probably going to be another one. It was too good to pass up.

There's a great charm to Yappi community: I think of it as second family in some regards. I'd like to personally and publicly thank @ogealbhain for his kind-hearted offer of two free tickets to the Elder/PC game this week that finally encouraged me to stop putting off the pilgrimage I wanted to take but never had the stones to do...

I went to The Pit.

Folks, the reputation and what you read doesn't do the experience justice. You know it's a place you have to go to, because the pictures online and what people say about it excites you. Rich tradition, fantastic football program, and unique setting -- all of those are true, but you cannot hard-boil a landmark to those three characteristics.

Every single part of the experience is unlike any other, individually and as the sum of all parts. Now, this also requires a little bit of positive thinking -- it's not as simple or convenient as taking an exit off I-270 and getting to a lush parking lot, next to the stadium, off one main road to watch an OCC school. But, damnit, that makes the experience of The Pit that much cooler in my eyes.

If there was an Ohio HS football equivalent of going to Wrigley Field on an April Saturday, I believe I got to experience it.

GETTING TO THE PIT: A-ha! As Robert Burns penned, "the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry." You can plan ahead of time your route, Google Earth the streets and research where to park -- all of that makes sense to a Columbus suburbanite. Alas, you're not in Kansas anymore. You're in uncharted territory in every sense imaginable. A new adventure! I took the route that has you cut across the northern inner-ring, down 75 and shoot across west via the Harrison Avenue viaduct. Once you're in Price Hill, you're there, and when you're in the driver seat all of that planning goes whoop out the window. Remain calm, think quick and think smart! Waze tells me to take a "LEFT ON BEECH AVE" off Glenway -- lotta traffic on Glenway (a four-lane road), no left hand turn lane or protected green arrow. One car per green light can make that left hand turn (once it turns red.) I genuinely enjoyed every minute of it. Nothing worth having comes easy! A nice change of pace.

PARKING: I missed on the garage at Seton! Darn! All good, though. I can walk, and my street smarts are B+. Parked a couple blocks away, for free, on St. Williams Ave.

THE SEATS: So, I always thought that the seating was metal bleachers. Oh, they're bleachers alright, but not metal. Concrete! A pleasant surprise -- and the pleasantry, of course, lies in the consistent theme of "there is something new to experience along the adventure" underlying the trip.

AD56E283-2A44-49F5-B49A-7333337F78EB.jpeg

THE ATMOSPHERE: This is Elder’s centennial year. The school was founded in 1922. First home game of the year. It felt like thousands and thousands of Elder faithful were making their way in. There very well may have been that many! A sea of purple everywhere you looked.

2A5427C9-5B11-49BD-9428-C52E104E163D.jpeg
3384D70A-FDBB-409C-A127-C77566E9D76A.jpeg

Was it loud? Yes. But what was louder was the visible sense of loyalty and pride beyond measure. In the backdrop beyond the unenclosed end of the school is Elder HS. Between the perimeter of the facility and the school are lines of people watching from the alley.

An electrifying and mesmerizing experience in every capacity for this neutral observer. An odyssey unlike any other, at a facility fantastic in every regard, one that I’ll never forget and one that I’m glad I finally stoned up to taking. Special thanks again to @ogealbhain for his tickets — he couldn’t make it for the game, and thought I could put them to good use. The thoughtfulness of the gesture underscores the point of community that shapes all of our experiences and fervor for not just the game, but the gift of breaking bread with friends and strangers alike.