The Cleveland Browns to the Burbs?????

Not having a dome is ridiculous. We're past the point of trying to play "old fashioned football".. Any extreme weather will are a postponement. We'll never see a Bills 8-0 game again.

But not having a dome immediately limits what and how many events the stadium can host.

The biggest mistake going into 99 was a giant outdoor stadium. 10 games, a concert or two, and maybe a rare high school or college game. Such a waste of resources. The only reason to ever build the Browns another stadium or seriously renovate the current stadium is to bring in more major events. NCAA March madness events, Super Bowl, and use it year round as an open floor plan convention facility.

Spending billions or even hundreds of millions for a handful of events a year is a total waste and should fail.

Not having a dome is ridiculous. We're past the point of trying to play "old fashioned football".. Any extreme weather will are a postponement. We'll never see a Bills 8-0 game again.

But not having a dome immediately limits what and how many events the stadium can host.

The biggest mistake going into 99 was a giant outdoor stadium. 10 games, a concert or two, and maybe a rare high school or college game. Such a waste of resources. The only reason to ever build the Browns another stadium or seriously renovate the current stadium is to bring in more major events. NCAA March madness events, Super Bowl, and use it year round as an open floor plan convention facility.

Spending billions or even hundreds of millions for a handful of events a year is a total waste and should fail.
There wasn’t enough time or money to build a stadium with a roof. The city wanted the Browns back as soon as possible. That was basically the trade off

There wasn’t enough time or money to build a stadium with a roof. The city wanted the Browns back as soon as possible. That was basically the trade off

I remember the situation very well. The dome was nixed for two reasons: cost and tradition. The cost would have been significantly more than for an open-air stadium, which immediately turned a lot of dome support sour. The second was the attitude of the majority of fans ( the traditionalists) who thought the weather would give the Browns a significant advantage, that football was made to be played on real grass during any weather, and that , despite the fact that the facility would remain a white elephant, a dome would "sissify" football in Cleveland.

Luckily since 1999, they've figured out how to have both indoor facilities and natural grass. The players prefer natural grass as well. I think if the NFLPA could, they'd nix all artificial turf.

Getting the stadium off the waterfront would be good for the area as well. A bit of lost potential there today that probably wasn't much thought about 25 years ago.

If they coud push the stadium out a bit an use it an excuse to extend RTA out, that would probably get more parties interested.

If the city still owns the rights to the name "Browns" I would be open to the franchise moving again and Cleveland getting another expansion team. Time for a reboot.

If the city still owns the rights to the name "Browns" I would be open to the franchise moving again and Cleveland getting another expansion team. Time for a reboot.

Yea, the reboot from Art Modell 20+ years ago worked so well. Could end up with another terrible owner or somehow, an even worse one. I hear Daniel Snyder will soon have about $6 billion to spend.

No city has ever squandered a waterfront like the City of Cleveland. There's plenty of land on the waterfront to build new stadium and develop into viable and valuable properties, but the only entity will a greater record of futility than the Browns is the City of Cleveland.

Yea, the reboot from Art Modell 20+ years ago worked so well. Could end up with another terrible owner or somehow, an even worse one. I hear Daniel Snyder will soon have about $6 billion to spend.
It obviously hasn't, which is why I made the suggestion, obviously in jest. Ohio Steelers fans... bet you have a story about how your great aunt got her dog in Pittsburg and you've been a life long fan ever since.

It obviously hasn't, which is why I made the suggestion, obviously in jest. Ohio Steelers fans... bet you have a story about how your great aunt got her dog in Pittsburg and you've been a life long fan ever since.

Nope. Always lived in Ohio and only been to Pittsburgh maybe 10 times. As a kid, the Steelers played a similar type of football as I was taught & would play in high school (West Jefferson): Ran out of the I Formation, played a 3-4 / 5-2 defense and the mentality that football meant more to us than other communities. Lived through the Steeler qb changes after Bradshaw: Cliff Stout, Mark Malone, David Woodley, Bubby Brister, Neil O’Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart & Tommy Maddox until the Steelers got Roethlisberger. Still went to a Super Bowl between Bradshaw & Roethlisberger.

By choosing & sticking with the Steelers, I like to tell Browns fans I made a better life decision as a child than they did! I enjoy Sunday afternoon.

Nope. Always lived in Ohio and only been to Pittsburgh maybe 10 times. As a kid, the Steelers played a similar type of football as I was taught & would play in high school (West Jefferson): Ran out of the I Formation, played a 3-4 / 5-2 defense and the mentality that football meant more to us than other communities. Lived through the Steeler qb changes after Bradshaw: Cliff Stout, Mark Malone, David Woodley, Bubby Brister, Neil O’Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart & Tommy Maddox until the Steelers got Roethlisberger. Still went to a Super Bowl between Bradshaw & Roethlisberger.

By choosing & sticking with the Steelers, I like to tell Browns fans I made a better life decision as a child than they did! I enjoy Sunday afternoon.

There it is.

Makes sense. West Jeff is equivalent to western PA on the "hick" meter.

Buckeyes never played a 3-4 or 5-2, tell us why you like them. Answer: Front-runner, same reason you chose the Stillers.

Buckeyes never played a 3-4 or 5-2, tell us why you like them. Answer: Front-runner, same reason you chose the Stillers.

Correct, OSU never played a 3-4/5-2 defense but when you had the Dline OSU had in the 80’s it didn’t matter what D one ran - they were terrible. Remember the Sullivan brothers? The days of ole Earl Bruce - good guy but well, the record speaks for itself.

WJ may be a bit on the rough side or on the ‘hick Western PA meter’ but that’s ok, I would never apologize for it. WJ is what it is, a football town.

I agree, but he's likely going to "enlighten" us and let us know that Woody ran a 5-2.

Lima Ohio boy here. 1970's, I'm 8 yrs old .......you pick your teams at that age. My dad liked Reds, Browns and Raiders. Steel Curtain and Big Red Machine going in the 70s. So I'm a Steelers and Reds fan. Fav players were always Franco Harris and Jack Lambert. I always say, other than the 80's (two Bengal super bowls) its been pretty easy to be a Steelers fan. Reds, not so much. But still fans of both to this day.

Season tix since 1992, Cowhers first year.

So, what does any of this have to do with the new stadium? Or has that topic been exhausted? Just curious.
Until more news leaks out, not much can be said about it.

Either they rebuild on site, either a full tear down or major rehab during offseason, or they move elsewhere around Cuyahoga County or a surrounding county.

Honestly, there's no where else in Cleveland to really build a stadium that's better than the current location. Every location is going to have issues. If the area north of the stadium, the airport, and land further east could be developed into something useful it would be the ideal location.

Only place in Cuyahoga County that could support them would be Berea by the airport. Easy access via freeway, but nothing there other than the team facilities and warehouses. Further out? Twinsburg? Mentor? Lorain? Is there really a good option?

Then biggest problem with a rebuild on location is that the team would be gone for a year or two at minimum while you do the work. Where? Columbus? Ohio Stadium has the capacity but Lower.com Field has the owner's pocketbook in mind. Canton? Well, if they're renting it they can get the Cleveland fans to drive down a lot easier than to Columbus. But, if you're going to travel, why wouldn't you get either the biggest stadium possible for tickets OR the stadium you run and collect all the money from it?

Lima Ohio boy here. 1970's, I'm 8 yrs old .......you pick your teams at that age. My dad liked Reds, Browns and Raiders. Steel Curtain and Big Red Machine going in the 70s. So I'm a Steelers and Reds fan. Fav players were always Franco Harris and Jack Lambert. I always say, other than the 80's (two Bengal super bowls) its been pretty easy to be a Steelers fan. Reds, not so much. But still fans of both to this day.

Season tix since 1992, Cowhers first year.
Die-hard fan. You have a nice little drive to and from.

Die-hard fan. You have a nice little drive to and from.
I don't live in Lima any longer. Live in Columbus. Leave at 8am from Columbus. Get to Pitt in just under 3 hrs. Games over by 4:30, get to car, get out, get home by 8:30pm. I got it down, where to park and how to get out quick. We never cross over to park on the stadium side of the river. Always walk through Battery Park and walk over the bridge to get to the stadium. If i take someone new we park near the incline and take the ferry over to the stadium. Until it gets too cold out........... then the ferry can be brutal.