The 1619 Project (yesterday was the 400th anniversary of the first African slave to land on American soil)

The goal is to change the narrative about American exceptionalism. It was not built by hard-working European capitalists, it was built on the back of their slaves.

tru dat

Having a finger pointed at them how? Is someone pointing a finger at you?

Who is pointing fingers ?

Uncle%20Obama.jpg
R MONEY, WHITEY.

All roads lead back to reparations for some people. No new handouts.

I don't understand, why they are not dealing with slavery in the US today? I have heard reports that there are more slaves in the US today than in 1861. I believe that. I have dealt with several of them. They are mostly from South and Central America and the slavers are aided by Democrats (sound familiar they were the prime support for the African slave trade also) who refuse to stop the entry of these slaves at the border. There are also South East Asians and some West Africans who get stuck in the slave trade. Another substantial portion is American citizens who find themselves addicted to drugs. Anyway, human trafficking is a bigger problem than dealing with historical slavery. If Democrats wanted to do something about it they could, but, it is not racially divisive and any real solution would cut down on illegal immigration, so, they are going to enable the slave traders, not fight to shut them down.

This modern slavery is a national disgrace and the Democrats are complicit.

Yes. In the belief that somehow modern society is dependent, responsible or probably more accurately - accountable for actions in the past. Slavery was an ugly chapter of the human condition, but so is war, bigotry of any kind, etc. To think that the slavery of blacks is any more wrong than the enslavement of anyone is the height of stupidity. Almost all races and nationalities have been slaves throughout history, that's a fact. At the same time of the slavery of blacks in America, Arab nations were enslaving white people - which was worse, which was better? Enslavement of women continues to this day in some countries, is that better or worse? The fact is that slavery in the US ended 155 years ago. It is an historical condition, not a current one. It is of no interest to the vast majority of people living today except as a anthropological exercise. It would be akin to making everyone care about the day-by-day study of WWI or the Civil War, or the History of the West..... it will interest some, bore others to tears, and most people would say "it doesn't affect me, I don't care". That's where we are on slavery. It's over and it's been over for well over a century. Just as most people want to know - "in 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue" as the limit of their knowledge of the Spanish exploration of the new world, most people are satisfied with "from the early colonies through the Civil War there were slaves. Slavery was bad and it was ended". Done. Move along.

But if you really want to hold current people accountable for the past, then why couldn't a descendent of victim of an Indian massacre sue the tribe for the loss? Or the grandchild of a victim of a drunk driver sue the descendants of the drunk driver for their suffering? Or the product of a rape, sue other descendants of the rapist because they were robbed of their natural existence? Trying to re-write history to make the impact of actions of the past to drive modern guilt is beyond reprehensible. Did it impact growth at the time? Yes. Was it significant? No. Does America still benefit from the slavery that ended 150 years ago? No.

You bet they are. Or more accurately they're pointing a finger at my wallet and saying "I want some of that"!

This entire effort at revising history by the NYT is aimed at achieving 3 things:

1) Hurting Trump.

2) Supporting the payment of reparations to descendants of slaves.

3) Guilt tripping white people in order to manipulate them to get what the left wants on a whole bunch of different progressive programs.

A lot of slavery experts on yappi. I think it’s funny when someone says, “well slavery has gone on throughout history” like that somehow makes it less heinous.

Historical context is everything when discussing slavery.

There was a time that the standard medical treatment for all sorts of illness was to bleed the patient. So let's say that you decide to criticize a single country, say France, for employing such a heinous practice in an effort to get the descendants of sick people who were bled reparations. You can bet that the historical context showing that bleeding patients was the standard of care back then would be very important in deciding the "case". So unless you're willing to pay damages to EVERY descendant whose ancestors were bled you don't pay reparations to anyone.

I don't understand, why they are not dealing with slavery in the US today? I have heard reports that there are more slaves in the US today than in 1861. I believe that. I have dealt with several of them. They are mostly from South and Central America and the slavers are aided by Democrats (sound familiar they were the prime support for the African slave trade also) who refuse to stop the entry of these slaves at the border. There are also South East Asians and some West Africans who get stuck in the slave trade. Another substantial portion is American citizens who find themselves addicted to drugs. Anyway, human trafficking is a bigger problem than dealing with historical slavery. If Democrats wanted to do something about it they could, but, it is not racially divisive and any real solution would cut down on illegal immigration, so, they are going to enable the slave traders, not fight to shut them down.

This modern slavery is a national disgrace and the Democrats are complicit.

Bravo

You, sir, are an astute observer of the world around you.

Yes. In the belief that somehow modern society is dependent, responsible or probably more accurately - accountable for actions in the past. Slavery was an ugly chapter of the human condition, but so is war, bigotry of any kind, etc. To think that the slavery of blacks is any more wrong than the enslavement of anyone is the height of stupidity. Almost all races and nationalities have been slaves throughout history, that's a fact. At the same time of the slavery of blacks in America, Arab nations were enslaving white people - which was worse, which was better? Enslavement of women continues to this day in some countries, is that better or worse? The fact is that slavery in the US ended 155 years ago. It is an historical condition, not a current one. It is of no interest to the vast majority of people living today except as a anthropological exercise. It would be akin to making everyone care about the day-by-day study of WWI or the Civil War, or the History of the West..... it will interest some, bore others to tears, and most people would say "it doesn't affect me, I don't care". That's where we are on slavery. It's over and it's been over for well over a century. Just as most people want to know - "in 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue" as the limit of their knowledge of the Spanish exploration of the new world, most people are satisfied with "from the early colonies through the Civil War there were slaves. Slavery was bad and it was ended". Done. Move along.

But if you really want to hold current people accountable for the past, then why couldn't a descendent of victim of an Indian massacre sue the tribe for the loss? Or the grandchild of a victim of a drunk driver sue the descendants of the drunk driver for their suffering? Or the product of a rape, sue other descendants of the rapist because they were robbed of their natural existence? Trying to re-write history to make the impact of actions of the past to drive modern guilt is beyond reprehensible. Did it impact growth at the time? Yes. Was it significant? No. Does America still benefit from the slavery that ended 150 years ago? No.

Very well said.

Again, nice to see that someone else is fully aware.

Why don’t we speak up more often ? I think our nation needs some reason introduced into this discussion.

Unfortunately, some of them are running for President with a "D" next to their name, so it hardly makes that faction irrelevant.

Some know that they have no shot, but they want to influence the national discussion. It works, and they chip away at reason diligently every day.