Survey from OATCCC concerning the creation of 4 divisions for Track and Field

That's a tremendous failure on OSU's part. Why would you not want to make a deal to make certain that the State Track Meet was at Ohio State? For the prestige of the university and great recruiting/exposure for your track program.

Cutting the cost, or even it costing the university money is well worth not having the meet there at all.

I'd say 4 sites.

This is why some of the people on the football message board that say that OSU should host the state football finals are laughable. If OSU is charging $100,000+ for the state track meet, imagine what they want for the Horseshoe. I can see most of the sport tournaments that are traditionally held at OSU leaving because of the price tag.

Not a fan of multiple sites. It's nice seeing at least one other Division compete. Do any other colleges have stadiums with Tracks in them?

Not a fan of multiple sites. It's nice seeing at least one other Division compete. Do any other colleges have stadiums with Tracks in them?
Kent State, Akron, Miami of Ohio, Bowling Green, and Ashland all have tracks that are separate from their football stadiums. I know earlier in the year there was a thread looking for 9 lane tracks around the state. From that thread I know that St. Mary's, Findlay, and Mehock Field all are large enough tracks.

What is the outdoor track at Spire like? I have only seen it looking out from inside the indoor facility but it looked nice. Is there enough seating? I know it is in a remote location but there have to be alternatives to a $100k fee.

There are a lot of high school tracks and facilities that could host. I saw the Pickerington regional a few years ago and they even have a second track next to the stadium that can be used for warm-up.

Could Ohio Wesleyan handle a meet that size. Parking and other nuances would be the concern. The track itself seems fine.

I'm sure there are many doable options if everyone searches hard enough.

What is the outdoor track at Spire like? I have only seen it looking out from inside the indoor facility but it looked nice. Is there enough seating? I know it is in a remote location but there have to be alternatives to a $100k fee.

There are a lot of high school tracks and facilities that could host. I saw the Pickerington regional a few years ago and they even have a second track next to the stadium that can be used for warm-up.

Could Ohio Wesleyan handle a meet that size. Parking and other nuances would be the concern. The track itself seems fine.

I believe Spire has hosted the NCAA D3 Outdoor Championship Meet previously. I know they will be hosting the NCAA D3 Outdoor Championship Meet in 2022 and 2025. I’m going to assume it’s an excellent facility to host the meet.

I believe Spire is 9 lanes. It is a beautiful facility, but the Southwest contingency would have every right to complain about the location. I know that no matter what happens some one will not be happy. Ohio Wesleyan has enough seating at 9,100 compared to 10,000 at Jesse Owens. The major problem at Ohio Wesleyan would be parking and it only being an 8 lane track . Not a lot of parking near the stadium if I remember correctly.

I believe Spire is 9 lanes. It is a beautiful facility, but the Southwest contingency would have every right to complain about the location. I know that no matter what happens some one will not be happy. Ohio Wesleyan has enough seating at 9,100 compared to 10,000 at Jesse Owens. The major problem at Ohio Wesleyan would be parking and it only being an 8 lane track . Not a lot of parking near the stadium if I remember correctly.

I understand the SW complaints but like you said there really is no perfect situation for everyone. I was in E/SE Ohio and had to travel all over for district & regional. It was an inconvenience but had no effect in my opinion on our performances.

When I was at OWU for juniors years ago I got the same impression as you, that parking would be an issue for a state meet. I see 9 lanes as a bonus they should take if available but not a deal breaker in finding an appropriate facility. I love that athletes in the finals are not guaranteed scoring without beating someone but could live without it if needed.

Four places I can think of have held national meets (all Division 3) at their stadiums:

*SPIRE (which is 9 lanes). They hosted the D. 3 nationals 2 years ago. Listed seating is 7000. We were only there for the first night of the D. 3's, but parking was "OK". Their path from parking to the stadium was... interesting.
*Ohio Wesleyan (9100). Parking is limited, for sure.
*Baldwin Wallace (7740). Parking is limited also, even with Berea-Midpark HS next door
Marietta (5000). Would love to prop the alma mater here, but there is NO parking.

Outside of Welcome Stadium, Upper Arlington hosted one of the divisions of the state meet in the early 70's due to student unrest on campus. Their stadium seats over 11,000.

I understand the SW complaints but like you said there really is no perfect situation for everyone. I was in E/SE Ohio and had to travel all over for district & regional. It was an inconvenience but had no effect in my opinion on our performances.

When I was at OWU for juniors years ago I got the same impression as you, that parking would be an issue for a state meet. I see 9 lanes as a bonus they should take if available but not a deal breaker in finding an appropriate facility. I love that athletes in the finals are not guaranteed scoring without beating someone but could live without it if needed.

Another downfall of Spire is seating is limited compared to the other facilities we are talking about. I agree that the 9 lane track is a bonus, but I really don't think that the OHSAA want to lose out on the revenue from 152 additional athletes being at the meet per division. Say each of those athletes brings 2 people, at lets say $12 a person is $1,824 of additional revenue times that over 4 divisions you have $7,296 which after last season is huge for the OHSAA.

Last edited:
Would Otterbein be an option. Guessing they could bring in some temp bleachers for other side of track. But once again only 8 lanes.

If you are bringing another division is 9 lanes actually necessary now? With another division you are actually already bringing 16 more instead of 1

To be honest, I think the majority of schools would go for 4 divisions rather than keeping the 2 extra at large bids if it can’t work. I like the at large bid option but the 4 divisions should be the top priority and outweighs it. Also it’s only been in effect for two years.

The profit and fairness of 4 divisions drastically outweighs the need for 2 extra athletes in a prelim of a meet.

To be honest, I think the majority of schools would go for 4 divisions rather than keeping the 2 extra at large bids if it can’t work. I like the at large bid option but the 4 divisions should be the top priority and outweighs it. Also it’s only been in effect for two years.

The profit and fairness of 4 divisions drastically outweighs the need for 2 extra athletes in a prelim of a meet.

I 2nd this view. More opportunities, and more equitable distribution.

It would be a real shame if the state meet was moved away from Ohio State, and especially so if each Division competes at a different venue. Would just feel like any old weekend invitational. Our kids look forward to traveling to OSU each year, taking a photo with the Jesse Owens statue, touring the campus, and watching the other divisions. Our state meet is special and hopefully the OATCCC is fighting to preserve it.

It would be a real shame if the state meet was moved away from Ohio State, and especially so if each Division competes at a different venue. Would just feel like any old weekend invitational. Our kids look forward to traveling to OSU each year, taking a photo with the Jesse Owens statue, touring the campus, and watching the other divisions. Our state meet is special and hopefully the OATCCC is fighting to preserve it.
I know the OATCCC would love to keep the state meet at OSU. It is OSU that really doesn't want it with the price that they charge.

I agree with this the 4th division would make the division better. I do really like the at large bids because we all know that not all regions are created equal and it allows an athlete in a region that is loaded in an event an opportunity to show what they can do at state. It also helps some in races where a kid makes it to state in multiple events and then chooses what events they are competing in when they get to the meet.

The "At-Large" bids are obviously only for when/if 9 lanes are available at the State Meet for running events (field events could still do it regardless of the track lanes) so 8 lanes would probably mean only 16 qualifiers if they have to move in that direction.

However, there are Meet schedules out there with 4 divisions of meets in two days, at Jesse Owens, and two have been discussed on here.
Both will work, but have potential problems..... The only Big problem is OSU and their potential response to COVID-19 and maybe the $ cost IMO

Plan #1 - Run the State meet as they do now except with 4 divisions. D4 would begin at 8:15 am or so and D1 4 x 400 would be about 8:00 on each day. There would only be about 40-45 minutes between each Division.

Potential Problems: 1. WEATHER! - like already mentioned, a couple years ago they went to late and kept the neighbors awake. The lights worked well, but how long does the meet go on. lot's of questions.... move it to Sunday? (baseball/softball sometime does) - how much would that cost?NOTE: The weather could be a problem with 3 division too(as seen here before) and could happen anywhere
2. Officials - even if the meet goes as scheduled, that is a long day - I know we need more official regardless and it sometimes seems like we hve many not doing much, but it is a long day for them.

Plan #2 - Run the D4 and D3 meet together from 9:00 to 1:30 of so then run the D2 and D1 from 3:00 to 7:30 or so - This was Also mentioned earlier in this thread. That would mean four 4 x 800's in a row on the first day and consecutive semi-finals of each event on the track. Field events would be fine as the small school would go late and the big would go early and may need to open another LJ and HJ area.... plenty of room. Also, there would be none of the waiting 15 minutes between heats of the 4 x 200 and 4 x 100 or the 200 and 4 x 400 semi's

Potential Problems: 1. Weather could be a problem anywhere on any given year.
2. Four consecutive 3200's for each session on the second day. (note: that is not a concern for me, as I love the event and would enjoy 4 in a row, but many would not like it)
you could move one gender (or division) of the 3200 to the first event on Day two or the last event on day 1... and switch genders (or divisions) every other year.

The Regional meets would be very manageable as D4 and D2 would be on Thur., - saturday and D3 and D1 on Wed., -Friday.
Weather and Officials would be of no more concern than they are now.

Facilities and Officials may be more of a concern for District meets, but, at least in NE ohio, there are many facilities that would like to host and with timing companies expanding, I don't see a big problem around my area.

If they go to an 8 man track or stay with at large on 9 lane track I would like to see they give a scratch window open until like Tuesday for someone to opt out of an event and the 5th place or next fast time can then take that spot. So if a distance guy qualifies in both 1600 and 3200 but know he is only running 3200 let the next runner up take the spot in 1600.

$50,000=$100,000 would go a long way to making another venue very special. I do agree that it would be much better to keep it a meet that has all the Divisions in one place. The larger the crowds the better.

If they go to an 8 man track or stay with at large on 9 lane track I would like to see they give a scratch window open until like Tuesday for someone to opt out of an event and the 5th place or next fast time can then take that spot. So if a distance guy qualifies in both 1600 and 3200 but know he is only running 3200 let the next runner up take the spot in 1600.
Not a fan of that. Part of the strategy to score the most points or to have your competition score fewer points is to take that spot away from a competitor. They had their chance to qualify the week before.

I have been spending way to much time looking at potential facilities on google maps. A lot of places have good potential to host a large meet, but no matter where it is placed significant money would need to be spent on either seating, the track/field area itself, or parking. Take Mehock Field in Mansfield. Nice 10 lane track, with plenty of area inside to host all events, but discus, within the sames area. It has decent parking, but lacks seating and significant restroom facilities. With a $250,000 investment it has the potential to be top notch, but would Mansfield City Schools and the Mehock Relay organization be willing to put that money into it up front. I think this would be a problem at a lot of facilities.

Ohio has over a hundred Universities. I can't believe not one has a Track and Field facility that can hold the state meet besides OSU.

How much could it cost to build a facility from scratch? $15-$20 million. Should have added that to the new Crew stadium and we would be set.

Ohio Wesleyan would be a return to the campus of the 2nd State meet in 1909. I like the older stadiums, but some don't. Very intimate setting.

Ohio has over a hundred Universities. I can't believe not one has a Track and Field facility that can hold the state meet besides OSU.

How much could it cost to build a facility from scratch? $15-$20 million. Should have added that to the new Crew stadium and we would be set.
I would say your price range would a nice above average facility. The school I coach at just put in a new all weather track from limestone and that bill was $750,000-1,000,000 range with minimum dirt work. I do know that bleachers are a HUGE expense. Lighting is in the million dollar range for MUSCO.

$50,000=$100,000 would go a long way to making another venue very special. I do agree that it would be much better to keep it a meet that has all the Divisions in one place. The larger the crowds the better.

Not a fan of that. Part of the strategy to score the most points or to have your competition score fewer points is to take that spot away from a competitor. They had their chance to qualify the week before.
I understand what you are saying and if in the chance it would be a team that you think your would be competing against don't scratch your runner that early. I am just thinking of giving more kids the opportunity to compete at the state meet.