Streaming Services

Paramount+ gets you access to CBS broadcasts of sporting events, including NFL games.

The Disney+ bundle would get you ESPN+ free.

Prime Video broadcasts Thursday night NFL games.

Peacock would get you Sunday Night Football and other NBC broadcast sporting events (ie Notre Dame games).

YoutubeTV is almost like having cable, without the cable. You get ABC, ESPN, NBC, CBS, Fox, NFL Network, MLB Network, etc...

to add to this, I also get Soccer on Hulu.

FfigUHoX0AY1be_

Just upgraded my internet from Roadrunner/Spectrum to the 1 Gig fiberoptic offered by Frontier, it's faster and more reliable and cheaper. My next move is to cut DirecTV and go the streaming route. We already have Hulu/Nexflix/HBO Max (some are shared) and I'm likely going to add YouTube TV (seems to have most of want I want). If I'm not mistaken I will need to find a way to watch Cavs/Indians games, which I believe I can do through the Ballys app. I'm a little confused as it looks like YouTube Tv doesn't carry my local NBC station, anybody else have that issue? My biggest concern is lives sports in general. Oh, and according to YouTube Tv you'll get special offers on the NFL Sunday Ticket that they'll now be carrying starting in the fall.

Just upgraded my internet from Roadrunner/Spectrum to the 1 Gig fiberoptic offered by Frontier, it's faster and more reliable and cheaper. My next move is to cut DirecTV and go the streaming route. We already have Hulu/Nexflix/HBO Max (some are shared) and I'm likely going to add YouTube TV (seems to have most of want I want). If I'm not mistaken I will need to find a way to watch Cavs/Indians games, which I believe I can do through the Ballys app. I'm a little confused as it looks like YouTube Tv doesn't carry my local NBC station, anybody else have that issue? My biggest concern is lives sports in general. Oh, and according to YouTube Tv you'll get special offers on the NFL Sunday Ticket that they'll now be carrying starting in the fall.

You could also get Peacock TV for five bucks a month which should get you your NBC fix

I thought that was an option, thanks. Odd that I can get the other networks on YouTube but not NBC.

I get NBC on my youtubetv..... also, Peacock TV usually will offer great deals so one can get it much cheaper than that price. Opt for the add version as the adds are not that bad and on movies the adds are only in the beginning and not during the movie. I pay less than $2 for Peacock TV a month.

I get NBC on my youtubetv..... also, Peacock TV usually will offer great deals so one can get it much cheaper than that price. Opt for the add version as the adds are not that bad and on movies the adds are only in the beginning and not during the movie. I pay less than $2 for Peacock TV a month.

yea I don't know if they no-ad version is worth it. I looked into it because I use PeacockTV a lot, but the no-ad version was an extra $5 per month.

when I enter my zip code for YouTubetv there is no local NBC...guess I'll find out for sure when I pull the trigger

when I enter my zip code for YouTubetv there is no local NBC...guess I'll find out for sure when I pull the trigger

With youtubetv you can cancel anytime so you would only be invested for 1 month. I have had it for over a year and I have not one complaint about it. (I knew there was no Ballysport channels on it so I can't complain about that). This was my first time pulling the plug so at first it was a little awkward navigating since I was used to putting in the channel number for the channel I wanted. It did not take long though for me to get the hang of it and it is also great that you can edit the live channels and put them in any order you like.

yea I don't know if they no-ad version is worth it. I looked into it because I use PeacockTV a lot, but the no-ad version was an extra $5 per month.

I hate adds but they don't bother me on PeacockTV. You get 2 to 3 minutes of adds before the movie starts and none after that.... TV shows, you get about 3 add breaks but they are short.... all about a minute of less..... I don't watch PeacockTV that much though.... just a few shows, a few movies, and some sports but at under $2 a month just watching one movie makes it worth it!

With youtubetv you can cancel anytime so you would only be invested for 1 month. I have had it for over a year and I have not one complaint about it. (I knew there was no Ballysport channels on it so I can't complain about that). This was my first time pulling the plug so at first it was a little awkward navigating since I was used to putting in the channel number for the channel I wanted. It did not take long though for me to get the hang of it and it is also great that you can edit the live channels and put them in any order you like.
so you do you have the Ballys app then to get the local sports?

I did not have the Ballys channel for Reds games last year (not that I missed it). I think you were asking about Cleveland, not sure if they'd have that but I feel like YoutubeTV overall doesn't have a deal with Bally Sports.

No..... I do have ESPN+ though which does show Dayton Flyer games that are not on cable channels plus all the NHL hockey (Unfortunately Columbus is blacked out) I can handle. YoutubeTV does not have a deal with Bally Sports though I do believe that Bally Sports has an app now or will soon....

Torn on YoutubeTV. I quite enjoy their service but they just raised their price another $8 per month.

in theory most of what we watch on YouTubeTV we could watch on Hulu or other streamers just not be able to skip commercials.

NFL should be covered between Paramount+, Peacock, PrimeTV and ESPN+. Only sticking point would be games on FOX.

Last edited:
I'm sticking with YouTubeTV. I had gotten a subscription to Hulu as a gift last year and it does not compare to YouTubeTV IMO. I'll chalk the $8 up to inflation and stick with the solid product.

BTW, unsure if it is because my internet is through a cable co. but I streamed Tiger games live on my laptop last year through Bally Sports website.

I'm sticking with YouTubeTV. I had gotten a subscription to Hulu as a gift last year and it does not compare to YouTubeTV IMO. I'll chalk the $8 up to inflation and stick with the solid product.

BTW, unsure if it is because my internet is through a cable co. but I streamed Tiger games live on my laptop last year through Bally Sports website.

it’s not so much the price increase as in when I think about it I may not need YouTube TV at all

I cut cable before last football season. At the time, I already had or had access to Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBOMax, and Prime. My ex-wife had Netflix and Prime in her name which she shared, while my sister had Disney+ through her phone service which she shared since she didn't care. I signed up for the Disney bundle to combine Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu into one. My ex cut Netflix since neither of us really watched it any longer and that whole 'anti-sharing' idea decided we just wanted to cut it anyways. I signed up for Paramount ($5/mo), and I have my parents login for their cable, so there's a lot that gets streamed (TNT/TBS/Fox app, Peacock, Ballys) through it. If I didn't have their login, I'd probably just miss out. Not a huge deal to get those channels. I recently let HBOMax lapse when my credit card sent a new card, i didn't update it in the system and I forgot and the account was suspended. I honestly haven't missed it. HBO Max was so much better when it first started. it's lost a lot of luster. Meanwhile, Paramount is so well worth the $5/mo I'm paying.

My ex still has Prime and because we had so much purchased on Prime between the two of us, we've just kept the account shared. Neither one of us really care. Smart or dumb, but we still have access to each other's credit card for Amazon purchases but our split was pretty cordial. So, I'm not too worried if she wanted to try to run up a few thousand in charges. We both have poison pills in our divorce why neither will screw over the other.

I also live 4 miles from Youngstown, so I get all the networks over the air with a cheap $40 antenna. Only ABC-33 sometimes is spotty. But 21 and 27 are crystal clear. And though 62 doesn't come in at all, it's also aired on 27.2, so it's a wash. The one thing I didn't realize is just how many free movies are on the Roku Channel and how many free apps there are that have ads. I have a ton of apps on all three of my TVs and can search for a movie on Roku and it will show me which app it is on.

The big issue though is sports. Without my parents' login and the Spectrum app I wouldn't have March Madness, Ballys, or the Fox app for FS1, CBSSN, etc. But again, I can do without those if I had to. ESPN+ has so much though. Whether you get it in the bundle or not, ESPN+ is worth it if you like hockey. Having almost every NHL game is great.

If I didn't have Prime, i would have gotten it again. The Disney bundle is worth it. I probably woudn't get Peacock if I didn't have access to it for free. And I honestly don't know if I'll sign back up with HBOMax. I know that Netflix is pretty much dead to me. I haven't missed it in the months I've been without it. Plus, if I want, I can sign up for a month to binge something and then kill it again.

I cut cable before last football season. At the time, I already had or had access to Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBOMax, and Prime. My ex-wife had Netflix and Prime in her name which she shared, while my sister had Disney+ through her phone service which she shared since she didn't care. I signed up for the Disney bundle to combine Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu into one. My ex cut Netflix since neither of us really watched it any longer and that whole 'anti-sharing' idea decided we just wanted to cut it anyways. I signed up for Paramount ($5/mo), and I have my parents login for their cable, so there's a lot that gets streamed (TNT/TBS/Fox app, Peacock, Ballys) through it. If I didn't have their login, I'd probably just miss out. Not a huge deal to get those channels. I recently let HBOMax lapse when my credit card sent a new card, i didn't update it in the system and I forgot and the account was suspended. I honestly haven't missed it. HBO Max was so much better when it first started. it's lost a lot of luster. Meanwhile, Paramount is so well worth the $5/mo I'm paying.

My ex still has Prime and because we had so much purchased on Prime between the two of us, we've just kept the account shared. Neither one of us really care. Smart or dumb, but we still have access to each other's credit card for Amazon purchases but our split was pretty cordial. So, I'm not too worried if she wanted to try to run up a few thousand in charges. We both have poison pills in our divorce why neither will screw over the other.

I also live 4 miles from Youngstown, so I get all the networks over the air with a cheap $40 antenna. Only ABC-33 sometimes is spotty. But 21 and 27 are crystal clear. And though 62 doesn't come in at all, it's also aired on 27.2, so it's a wash. The one thing I didn't realize is just how many free movies are on the Roku Channel and how many free apps there are that have ads. I have a ton of apps on all three of my TVs and can search for a movie on Roku and it will show me which app it is on.

The big issue though is sports. Without my parents' login and the Spectrum app I wouldn't have March Madness, Ballys, or the Fox app for FS1, CBSSN, etc. But again, I can do without those if I had to. ESPN+ has so much though. Whether you get it in the bundle or not, ESPN+ is worth it if you like hockey. Having almost every NHL game is great.

If I didn't have Prime, i would have gotten it again. The Disney bundle is worth it. I probably woudn't get Peacock if I didn't have access to it for free. And I honestly don't know if I'll sign back up with HBOMax. I know that Netflix is pretty much dead to me. I haven't missed it in the months I've been without it. Plus, if I want, I can sign up for a month to binge something and then kill it again.
I don't know if what you went through was a divorce ? Sounds like your both being adults and that's refreshing. I watch very little other than free broadcast TV over the air. Part of the reason is I view TV as a waste of time that cuts into productivity.

We do stream NFL games through the $100 per year program the NFL offers. Just avoid hearing the results from earlier in the day and we can watch a game from start to finish in about 2 hours, rather than the 3.5 hours live takes. Streaming saves time, and is more narrow in giving us what we really want and use. When we had cable , 95 percent of channels were not ever used.

Our internet provider is Frontier, and seems much more reliable than spectrum was for $20 less than spectrum per month. Spectrum always dropped out after 6:00 PM where we live and wouldn't come back until 2:00 am.

I don't know if what you went through was a divorce ? Sounds like your both being adults and that's refreshing. I watch very little other than free broadcast TV over the air. Part of the reason is I view TV as a waste of time that cuts into productivity.

It's strange that I've been married twice and have two of the most amicable divorces imaginable. Only my first wife made a lot less than me and I agreed to spousal support for a year. That divorce was a decade ago and no kids involved. We just went different ways. My second wife cheated, but I knew, it was obvious. She didn't deny it. We tried to make it work but it was doomed to failure. But neither wanted anything from the other. She kept her money, her debt, her possessions. I kept my money, my debt, and my possessions. I kept the house. She rents. Only thing was we had to sell the one car because she wanted to take possession of something cheaper and since it was in my name I couldn't remove myself from the loan into her name due to finances. As for our daughter, we switch off as we feel like it. My daughter and her just went skiing yesterday and today. I went and got her when they got home. She's with me tonight and after my ex's work tomorrow she'll pick her back up on the way home. No schedules. No keeping track of days, hours, transportation, etc. Only real issue was her schooling. I didn't want to send her to private school. But my wife moved into Youngstown and didn't want to send her to Youngstown schools. So, the deal was I won't raise any issue about what school my wife sends her to, but I am not financially responsible for any cost if it's not a public school. Wife agreed to that, so she pays tuition if she sends her to private school. Which she did.

We do stream NFL games through the $100 per year program the NFL offers. Just avoid hearing the results from earlier in the day and we can watch a game from start to finish in about 2 hours, rather than the 3.5 hours live takes. Streaming saves time, and is more narrow in giving us what we really want and use. When we had cable , 95 percent of channels were not ever used.

My ex did that last year. There is a trick you might not be aware. The games are streamed on Peacock, Fox Sports, ESPN, and Paramount. If you're out of the broadcast area for the local channel, just use a GPS Spoofer and you can watch on your phone or tablet with no issue any game anywhere in the country. Not as easy to do when it was Yahoo! Sports airing all the games. But you can't watch on a regular TV or a computer. Has to be a tablet or phone. I have a 10" and 8" tablet, so that's not a huge issue to me when I'm away from the Browns coverage area.

Our internet provider is Frontier, and seems much more reliable than spectrum was for $20 less than spectrum per month. Spectrum always dropped out after 6:00 PM where we live and wouldn't come back until 2:00 am.

I have Armstrong right near Youngstown and have great service. it cuts out every night for about two minutes around 10pm for some weird reason. I'm guessing it resets the system or something. My parents in PA have Spectrum and near the end of the line from the central hub for their town. Their service is constantly having issues. And with the internet phone that means sometimes their phone service blips out.

Recently dumped DirecTV and went to YouTube TV for primary streaming, and I've noticed it seems to "freeze" alot or sometimes just come up as a black screen (yet I can watch Netflix or Prime with no issues). Anybody else have similar issues with YouTube TV?

Recently dumped DirecTV and went to YouTube TV for primary streaming, and I've noticed it seems to "freeze" alot or sometimes just come up as a black screen (yet I can watch Netflix or Prime with no issues). Anybody else have similar issues with YouTube TV?

I have not. I'd check on your Roku screen or whatever you're using and seeing if there's a YouTubeTV update available.

On your end you can check the router to make sure it is up to speed. Most likely it is just too many users in your area all trying to access the same service at the same time. FYI my primary issue tends to be timing out when trying to get on to a channel.