Stirring the pot - Missing 3 years worth of Class C winners (1926-1928) @ State

JAVMAN83

OK, here's one to stir the pot!!!

COMPLETELY missing from any State meet programs I've seen, including 2011, is the fact that a 3rd Class, "C", was instituted for the years 1926-1928. Why is this information, along with all the winners in Class C, missing from the state meet program?

These are the team winners from the Class C from the following years:

1926 - Cuyahoga County - 49 1/4 pts
1927 - Montgomery County - 36 pts
1928 - Stark County - 39 3/4 pts

The Class C appears to have been removed in 1929, reverting the classifications back to A & B.

What I want to know, is WHY is the information missing from OHSAA's official results? Are they aware of their own meet history?

Curious minds want to know!

No, this is what I posted at 1am. I actually came up with it 12 hours earlier :)

I only stumbled across this fact while doing historical research on another topic. Seriously, though, I think this needs to be brought to OHSAA's attention. If they know about it, then why isn't the information in the state program. If they don't, then why don't they?

Last edited:
I doubt that the athletes being slighted are going to complain.

That may be true, but their heirs and the schools that those athletes competed for might be. However, that is not my concern. What is of concern is the historical accuracy of OHSAA's records, which are clearly lacking now. Craig Whitmore did a great deal in addressing them, helping to drag OHSAA into the modern era from what I hear from a statistical standpoint. However, even his huge database and research was unable to move OHSAA on some issues. I have that on good authority.

I'm going to compile the information I've found, and submit them to OHSAA. I'll also post them online for all to see.

That may be true, but their heirs and the schools that those athletes competed for might be. However, that is not my concern. What is of concern is the historical accuracy of OHSAA's records, which are clearly lacking now. Craig Whitmore did a great deal in addressing them, helping to drag OHSAA into the modern era from what I hear from a statistical standpoint. However, even his huge database and research was unable to move OHSAA on some issues. I have that on good authority.

I'm going to compile the information I've found, and submit them to OHSAA. I'll also post them online for all to see.

I am just messing with you. On a serious note, it is great that you have found something that you enjoy and are so passionate about. Good luck.

In email communications with OHSAA employees that I've had, they've agreed to change their track and field history online and what is published in their annual Track and Field programs if we provide them with documented evidence that their archives are incomplete/incorrect. See people, they listen to us and are willing to work with us to provide better information about our history.

OK, here's one to stir the pot!!!

COMPLETELY missing from any State meet programs I've seen, including 2011, is the fact that a 3rd Class, "C", was instituted for the years 1926-1928. Why is this information, along with all the winners in Class C, missing from the state meet program?

These are the team winners from the Class C from the following years:

1926 - Cuyahoga County - 49 1/4 pts
1927 - Montgomery County - 36 pts
1928 - Stark County - 39 3/4 pts

The Class C appears to have been removed in 1929, reverting the classifications back to A & B.

What I want to know, is WHY is the information missing from OHSAA's official results? Are they aware of their own meet history?

Curious minds want to know!
Javman - are all the team totals by county? Perhaps the C class was different than the other two? Just curious...

Javman - are all the team totals by county? Perhaps the C class was different than the other two? Just curious...

I checked a number of the "C" results from '26 & '27...it doesn't appear to be a county thing. I'm not sure what the classification process may have been, but I'd be curious in knowing. Maybe when I compile them into a nice neat format the solution will "appear". Anyway, I would like to get a back-up source for the results through another newspaper of the time before forwarding onto OHSAA. Lancermania has provided that information to me and I'll do it as soon as I can compile all into a nice, legible and concise format along with clear photos of the original results.

Update

In looking at further results of the "C" class from the 1926-1928 period @ State, it DOES appear that those schools competing were in fact county-based schools and a spattering of other rural schools. I'm compiling those results and will be submitting to OHSAA later this season.

What I'm curious about is what happened to those athletes in those schools after 1928 and how OHSAA integrated them into the state tournament?

Update on Class C

I now have further clarification on the Class C competitions that were held at the state meet between 1926-1928.

It would appear that the Class C competition was organized at the state meet to allow athletes from rural schools to compete despite their own individual school being too small to have a team. Athletes in those situations were organized into a separate team designated by county; thus, a county-based team was organized and pitted against other county teams at those state meets (1926-1928). Note, athletes from Class A & B schools were NOT eligible for the county-based Class C teams.

Now, as to how the Class C team athletes qualified, that I haven't determined as yet. I do know that in the SW Ohio district meet that was held at Oxford, OH, a number, if not all, of the athletes that qualified under Class C competed in the Class B division at the district meet. I don't know if this was pervasive, however. That has yet to be determined.

great job ;great info ;:rainbow: :thumb: thanks very inforing .

Why, thank you! I'm compiling the result from the news clippings into a more legible Word document & PDF file. Once done, I'll be forwarding copies to OHSAA (they are open to receiving the information & reviewing), and I'll also make the information available here and via a downloadable site.