Steve Arnold steps down as Warren G Harding head coach

Cant believe this thread came to a screeching halt already. No news on asst coaches?

Very quiet on the coaching font, but Matty Rich just announced on his social media that Harding's scrimmages will be as follows...

08/09/2024: @ Steubenville
08/15/2024: @ Painesville Riverside

Harding had scrimmaged Solon every year since 2003, so I was wondering who would replace them. Like Solon, hopefully we can get Steubenville on the regular season slate in the near future.

Very quiet on the coaching font, but Matty Rich just announced on his social media that Harding's scrimmages will be as follows...

Harding had scrimmaged Solon every year since 2003, so I was wondering who would replace them. Like Solon, hopefully we can get Steubenville on the regular season slate in the near future.
He ain’t messing around

Scrimagesy are a great place to restart a rivalry. I think Steubenville vs Harding is a natural. There is a history, two former conference foes and traditions that go way back. Of course I think the Big Red would be at a talent deficit. 🤷 ROLL RED ROLL.

Scrimmages are a great place to restart a rivalry. I think Steubenville vs Harding is a natural. There is a history, two former conference foes and traditions that go way back. Of course I think the Big Red would be at a talent deficit. 🤷 ROLL RED ROLL.

I certainly hope so!

Wow. That's a long time for two historical powers who were tied together by the AAC.

Harding & Steubenville have played each other 31 times. The only schools that Harding played (at least) as many games against are Massillon (87), Niles (74; the last of which was in 1992), Canton McKinley (60), The Rayen School (41), Youngstown Ursuline (37), Austintown Fitch (35), Cardinal Mooney (33), and Youngstown South (also 31; the last of which was also in 1992).

Series History
1951- Steubenvile 13, WGH 12
1952- WGH 25, Steubenville 6
1953- Steubenville 2, WGH 0
1954- WGH 26, Steubenville 7
1955- WGH 26, Steubenville 7
1956- WGH 19, Steubenville 14
1959- WGH 13, Steubenville 8
1960- WGH 12, Steubenville 12
1963- WGH 52, Steubenville 12
1964- WGH 20, Steubenville 0
1965- WGH 10, Steubenville 8
1966- Steubenville 21, WGH 6
1967- Steubenville 24, WGH 12
1968- WGH 38, Steubenville 0
1969- Steubenville 17, WGH 15
1970- WGH 16, Steubenville 13
1971- WGH 35, Steubenville 12
1972- Steubenville 14, WGH 6
1973- WGH 27, Steubenville 6
1974- WGH 30, Steubenville 6
1975- WGH 20, Steubenville 0
1976- Steubenville 3, WGH 0
1977- WGH 3, Steubenville 0
1978- WGH 33, Steubenville 0
1979- WGH 14, Steubenville 13
1980- WGH 14, Steubenville 2
1981- Steubenville 20, WGH 7
1986- Steubenville 21, WGH 0
1987- WGH 21, Steubenville 12
1988- Steubenville 24, WGH 0
1989- Steubenville 21, WGH 0

All-time Wins: WGH 19, Steubenville 11, 1 Tie
All-time score: WGH 513, Steubenville 332

My first varsity plays were against Big Red my sophomore year in '78. (C&B remembers this game well)
We were up big and they stuck me in for the final series. My first play was a trap and I pancaked the Tackle. I couldn't wait for film session on Saturday morning to see it in front of the whole team...and was devastated when coach shut the film off before the last few series.
"But....but...HEY!"
My senior year against Big Red in '80 Walter Campbell either set the single game rushing record or came close to it. (255 yds?)...yet we only won 14-2 because we kept turning the ball over.

My first varsity plays were against Big Red my sophomore year in '78. (C&B remembers this game well)
We were up big and they stuck me in for the final series. My first play was a trap and I pancaked the Tackle. I couldn't wait for film session on Saturday morning to see it in front of the whole team...and was devastated when coach shut the film off before the last few series.
"But....but...HEY!"
My senior year against Big Red in '80 Walter Campbell either set the single game rushing record or came close to it. (255 yds?)...yet we only won 14-2 because we kept turning the ball over.

Yeah I have Campbell with 255 against Steubenville in 1980. At the time, that was good for 2nd in Harding history behind Bill Bevan's 261 vs. Dayton V. Wright in 1948, which now ranks 10th in Harding history.

In terms of rushing yardage, here are the top 10 performances in Harding history...
(*- playoff game)

1. 411: Maurice Clarett vs. Lakewood St. Edward in 2002*
2. 368: Lynn Bowden vs. Chardon in 2016*
3. 332: Demond Hymes vs. Massillon in 2010
4. 325: Daniel "Boom" Herron vs. Cardinal Mooney in 2005
5. 283: Lynn Bowden vs. Massillon in 2016
6. 279: Daniel "Boom" Herron vs. Archbishop Hoban in 2004
7. 276: Daniel "Boom" Herron vs. Youngstown Ursuline in 2005
8. 270: Demond Hymes vs. Euclid in 2010
9. 267: Erwin Sutton vs. Howland in 1995
10: 261: Bill Bevan vs. Daytion V. Wright in 1948

Here is the Tribune article & box score from the '80 Harding-Steubenville game...

Campbell's 255 yards Spark WIn Over Steubenville.jpg

Campbell's 255 yards Spark WIn Over Steubenville_2.jpg

Campbell's 255 yards Spark WIn Over Steubenville Box Score.jpg

"But....but...HEY!"
Oh boy, do I know that feeling well from my sophomore year. It almost felt personal.

Good to hear. I think I wrote a check for Brandon to help keep that website going back in the early 2000’s?

Good to hear. I think I wrote a check for Brandon to help keep that website going back in the early 2000’s?

No that was a different site. This one was launched in 2019.

Harding had a couple nice ones in the 2000's. Lot of fans were involved back then.

"But....but...HEY!"
What game in 78? Worst beating we took all year. Got my brains beat in. How did Harding do against Massillon the next week.

Went through my “archives” and found this pic of McD, Maurice Clarett, and Matty Rich. It was taken at a practice the week of Harding’s 1st round playoff game against Boardman in 2001.

IMG_2626.jpeg

Pick your best 6-man all-time Warren G. Harding lineup (skill positions) for $15. Your lineup can include...

A) QB, RB, TE, 3 WRs
B) QB, 2 RBs, TE, 2 WRs
C) QB, 3 RBs, TE, WR
D) QB, RB/TE, 4 WRs
E) QB, 5 WRs

NOTE- "Rankings" are based on career statistics in a fantasy football format (non-PPR)...

-passing yards: 1 point for every 25 yards
-passing touchdowns: 4 points
-rushing/receiving yards: 1 point for every 10 yards
-rushing/receiving touchdowns: 6 points

Who y'all got?

IMG_2740.jpeg

Provitt was better than Manningham. His 1990 playoff run was the most dominant wr performance I have ever seen. Question for Worm . How come Warren Western Reserve did not play Massillon in the early 70's?

Provitt was better than Manningham. His 1990 playoff run was the most dominant wr performance I have ever seen. Question for Worm . How come Warren Western Reserve did not play Massillon in the early 70's?

This is based off of stats. Manningham’s were better. Many older people think that Clayton Waite is the best QB in the pic, but the rushing stats of three of the other four pushed them over. Except for Taylor, who is Harding’s all-time leading passer.

Speaking of “older,” I’ll be 41 in October. I have no clue why WWR never played Massillon

This is based off of stats. Manningham’s were better. Many older people think that Clayton Waite is the best QB in the pic, but the rushing stats of three of the other four pushed them over. Except for Taylor, who is Harding’s all-time leading passer.

Speaking of “older,” I’ll be 41 in October. I have no clue why WWR never played Massillon
It gets tough to compare players from different eras. Offenses threw the ball a lot more in the 2000's and it favors the later eras. If you added WWR qbs, the Richardsons's would be somewhere on there.

Probably because Massillon already had a long standing home/away with Warren and didn't want/need another. Obviously a great program though, in it's relatively brief existence.

Well, Super Mario had the most dominant performance I have ever seen - so we are probably both right. :)

I'd say both of them plus Bowden plus Clarett. (Wow).

Well, Super Mario had the most dominant performance I have ever seen - so we are probably both right. :)

I'd say both of them plus Bowden plus Clarett. (Wow).
Man that playoff game when Shepas went with a wildcat at the end of the fourth (not common back then) was genius. I thought we had it in the bag.
I think it was Kokal (Sp?) started zipping those passes ugh!!!!!