Stealing Signs

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
What do you think of stealing signs?

Watching games all Summer, I've seen alot of examples. Some I'm OK with. Some seem to be a bit too far.

A few examples:
  • Batter moves up in the box, coach instructs team to move up for the bunt.
  • 3rd base coach watches signs from coach to catcher and signals changeup to the hitter.
  • Batter glances back just before pitch to see where catcher is lined up.
  • 3rd baseman looks back at 3rd base coach while they are giving batter signs.
  • Runner on 2nd signals to batter what the pitch is going to be.

What do you think? All fair game? Some too far? All too far?

thavoice

Third one is bush league. First one seems bit bush league as well

Rest are fair game. We used to pick signs off o the coaches all the time signalling to the catcher.

Quxik story. A team we played in postseason knew our propensity to get signs. ( Why coaches done let the battery do pitxh selections is beyond me) so they had one asst give all these signs to the catcher as a decoy. They had the real sign giver at the other end giving a very simple sign but made it so inauspicious we never caught on. Finding signs was ballsically the job of the jvs whim were moved up for tournament action.

NewOldBlood

In softball, where bunting is more common place, the first one doesn't bother me too much. I'm not sure I even consider that stealing signs since it's an adjustment to the batter. Coaches are going to make similar adjustments throughout the game for lefty slappers. The batter looking back at the catcher is pretty bush league. A good catcher would start setting up early and then moving as needed and really throw off the hitter. The rest are just part of the game, it's up to coaches to come up with a system that makes it hard to steal signals.

Auggie

Not a big fan of stealing signals, especially pitches, by coaches or parents; especially at the younger ages when kids get confused easily since there is so much to think about besides a new set of signals every inning.

thavoice

Not a big fan of stealing signals, especially pitches, by coaches or parents; especially at the younger ages when kids get confused easily since there is so much to think about besides a new set of signals every inning.
No reason why the catcher cannot hide their signs. Now if your coach feels the need to call every pitch, which I am not a fan of, then he better have way to it get them stolen.

Teach pitchers and catchers how to call games. It really is not that difficult. I believe that any pitch in any situation can be the right pitch if located properly.