State Rankings

PBR isn’t that reliable either they just guess from last year

Not true. PBR guys attend many high school games. They are also familiar with the top players in the state and which high schools the top players play for. PBR makes a living evaluating players. High school coaches do not. They are working/coaching for a tiny salary in most cases. And they are not in the business of evaluating any players except their own, and maybe opponents.

Not true. PBR guys attend many high school games. They are also familiar with the top players in the state and which high schools the top players play for. PBR makes a living evaluating players. High school coaches do not. They are working/coaching for a tiny salary in most cases. And they are not in the business of evaluating any players except their own, and maybe opponents.

There’s how many PBR guys in Ohio? They’re in what corners of the state, largely seeing what size schools? Compare that with the coaches who largely know each other in some form, have seen their guys play against bigger schools and non-league does, and will pay attention to the local and regional baseball scenes alike.

PBR is great at what they do when it comes to evaluating players and the events they put on. They do a respectable job with their team rankings. Frankly I disagree with their rankings often, at least for the division I follow (D4), such as the ones you link to for week 2 of 2019. I see a lot of top 25 teams in my corner of the state, some of whom are ranked above probably two of the best teams in their region based on record (with no consideration to strength of schedule) alone. The coaches on the other hand I’ve always found to do a good job at sniffing out and recognizing the best teams in their corner of the state because of their particular attention to how teams are looking and progressing.

I think PBR has the more accurate poll overall, but it's understood that polls are not perfect and both polls carry their own unique perspective.

Coaches really are focused in their own corner of the state or their league. They really do not know. PBR bases their polls mostly on their player evals. I have not seen a PBR guy at any of the gams that I have attended and I have seen a ton of games this spring.

Walsh ranked #1 again by PBR. Maybe they can get of their district this year.

Coaches really are focused in their own corner of the state or their league. They really do not know. PBR bases their polls mostly on their player evals. I have not seen a PBR guy at any of the gams that I have attended and I have seen a ton of games this spring.

Could it be that you are not familiar with all the PBR scouts/writers? If there are prospective college players on the field, PBR will be there to see them from time to time, of course not every game. Also, a good number of PBR guys are also pro scouts. Look at the scouting blog. The writers are some of the guys at games. Sometimes notes are added anonymously to a player’s profile by a scout that attended a game.

I am pretty familiar with the scouts/writers and I have not seen them They are typically easy to identify. I have seen many college scouts. Maybe they are writing some notes? I have been to mostly GMC and GCL games. Maybe they have been to other games that I have not been too. Honestly, I have been surprised at the number of college scouts that have been at these weekly games and sunday afternoon games.

While the PBR guys obviously do not get to see every team, I can tell you that one of the PBR guys and I are consistently communicating with each other. He's always asking who's good in our area - legit contenders, top players, etc. I can only imagine that they utilize their contacts across the state to get as holistic view as possible of the entire state. Again, no poll is perfect, but I think they do their due diligence as much as possible.

As we know, rankings are nothing but a talking point for fans and something coaches can do to motivate their team when going up against a highly ranked foe.

I am pretty familiar with the scouts/writers and I have not seen them They are typically easy to identify. I have seen many college scouts. Maybe they are writing some notes? I have been to mostly GMC and GCL games. Maybe they have been to other games that I have not been too. Honestly, I have been surprised at the number of college scouts that have been at these weekly games and sunday afternoon games.

That is very surprising, considering that colleges have their own games right now. Typically, it is more rare to see them at high school baseball games. But they are out in force during the summer.

Like usually they are missing teams.

D3 Minford 16-1
D4 Eastern 15-0

Both should be top 5

I don't know the status of these two teams but I do know that the school must have membership with the Coach's Association to have consideration for the coach's poll. If dues are not paid then school is not up for vote. Most schools are by attending the clinic in Cbus each winter.

I don't know the status of these two teams but I do know that the school must have membership with the Coach's Association to have consideration for the coach's poll. If dues are not paid then school is not up for vote. Most schools are by attending the clinic in Cbus each winter.

Minford is 20-1. Got to state last year. Beat Wheelersburg and Athens. Probably should be at least #4 in the state. Seems like a pretty useless rankings system in baseball

Minford is 20-1. Got to state last year. Beat Wheelersburg and Athens. Probably should be at least #4 in the state. Seems like a pretty useless rankings system in baseball

I believe all coach's polls are pretty useless. They have enough to worry about with their own teams let alone trying to figure out who is better across the state with very little media coverage and stats being hard to find or confirm. Its for talking points thats about it. Good thing everyone gets a chance to prove themselves in a week. No poll needed!