State Championships

DIII Championship
Final
Columbus Africentric 53
Versailles 47

This is what a state championship game should look like. CA had a large lead and Versailles came back and took a lead that led to back and forth leads. And then the final result. Great game!

As we all know the attendance for girls basketball games, in general, is sparse. Unfortunately this carries over to the state championship games as well. DII’s attendance today is dismal with two teams that don’t have a decent following to begin with. Wadsworth's cheering section for yesterday’s DI semi-final, alone, was larger than ALL fans (community and students) for both schools COMBINED for today’s DII championship game.

Toledo Rogers 51
Gilmour Academy 37

TR’s Zia Cooke tore it up with 33 points. Of all the teams entering the weekend I thought GA was the only lock to win a state championship. As I mentioned before, ANOTHER reason why I don’t predict games. : ) Even GA’s semi-final win was a struggle. They didn’t have the confidence in this tournament they exuded during the regular season. Congratulations to the Lady Rams who won in style!

DI Championship
Final
Pickerington Central 49
Solon 45

Down by two with :13 remaining Solon’s Valencia Myers received a pass under the basket with no one to contest her and she tried to pass it back out and PC grabbed it for a jump ball and possession. What??!!

In watching the D-3 games, it appeared the refs could not stay consistent. One minute they were calling fouls really tight and then at times they were allowing a lot on contact, that favored one team a whole lot.

The officiating didn’t hurt or help anyone during the girls state tournament. The best teams on these days won. Overall, I would like to see more competitiveness at the state tournament, but the champions are the champions. Congratulations to all the girls making it to Columbus and especially the teams that won their last game of the year!!!!!

Africentric is an interesting team to watch play. I'm not sure I have ever heard anyone claim that they are amazing at execution. What they are amazing at is pressure and intensity, turning steals into layups, and offensive rebounds leading to points. So, they will not execute and look bad for a stretch, then they will make a steal and score a layup, and then get an offensive rebound and a score or two (or three), and you can't overcome it.

Coach McKinney is a very good coach. I will now say something controversial: he has accomplished a lot with a lot.