State Championship Pairings

Please name the 5 games that will be lopsided victories.
I'll let you figure that out for yourself. There's plenty of time for prediction threads. But, I'll give you a hint... performance against strength of schedule is the #1 successful predictor in series like these. Take the Muskingum Valley League for example. You have Thornville Sheridan dominating their schedule on a fairly regular basis... but in the playoffs year in and year out they go nowhere, and commonly get waxed in their region. Why? Because the MVL cannot prepare them for elite competition.
So, when looking at the finalists... and having seen a number of them play... you look at the schedule and it usually tells you all you need to know. So, when I see a team playing six opponents that didn't make the playoffs... well, what more needs said?

I'll let you figure that out for yourself. There's plenty of time for prediction threads. But, I'll give you a hint... performance against strength of schedule is the #1 successful predictor in series like these. Take the Muskingum Valley League for example. You have Thornville Sheridan dominating their schedule on a fairly regular basis... but in the playoffs year in and year out they go nowhere, and commonly get waxed in their region. Why? Because the MVL cannot prepare them for elite competition.
So, when looking at the finalists... and having seen a number of them play... you look at the schedule and it usually tells you all you need to know. So, when I see a team playing six opponents that didn't make the playoffs... well, what more needs said?
So, you are implying that the Division IV game between Wyoming and Glenville will not be competitive? Care to make a specific bet on that?

As for the rest of your claim (that 5 games will not be competitive)-- I'd like to see you specify which ones you think are non-competitive-- if you're not willing to do that, why make the claim?

I've already said that I don't know enough about the Division III matchup to say anything about that one-- but the other six games ALL look like they can (and likely WILL) be competitive.

So, you are implying that the Division IV game between Wyoming and Glenville will not be competitive? Care to make a specific bet on that?

As for the rest of your claim (that 5 games will not be competitive)-- I'd like to see you specify which ones you think are non-competitive-- if you're not willing to do that, why make the claim?

I've already said that I don't know enough about the Division III matchup to say anything about that one-- but the other six games ALL look like they can (and likely WILL) be competitive.
I stated my opinion, you stated yours. We disagree. Gotta love America.
As far as a "specific bet", my circle has "no bets" status on more than one of these finals. Side bets on those games are normally on what time in the game will the winning team achieve a running clock. That's where D4 is. Hey, we could be way off, and from time to time have been totally wrong... but usually the consensus opinion is pretty close.

For what it’s worth, Kirtland played five opponents that didn’t make the playoffs. They are an anomaly.

Sure-- why WOULDN'T they like to cut about ~3 hours off of their drive, make it an even travel game for both sides, and also (just a small side benefit)-- NOT have to face the Division I school in Division IV clothing that is Glenville.
Sound like a hater

So out of 7 Divisions (14 teams) 4 are private schools and 10 are Public. 3 of the 4 are in the top 2 Divisions. The remaining private is JFK in small school division. Overall favors Publics. I think the main beef comes from the larger D2 and D1 Publics. Competitive balance have moved what used to be D3-4 privates up to their respective divisions making it harder to win at the state level.

Sound like a hater
Nah-- I don't hate Glenville for stepping down three levels in competition to (they hope) finally get a state championship-- it's what any school (who's never won a state playoff championship in football) would do, if they had the option to do so-- Massillon Washington would probably step down to Division VII (if they could) to finally get their first state playoff championship-- I just don't quite understand why the OHSAA would allow/enable that move.

Ginn made the school to help The community you know how many kids go there they don’t even play football They was just D3 last year in lost and no one had nothing to say

Nah-- I don't hate Glenville for stepping down three levels in competition to (they hope) finally get a state championship-- it's what any school (who's never won a state playoff championship in football) would do, if they had the option to do so-- Massillon Washington would probably step down to Division VII (if they could) to finally get their first state playoff championship-- I just don't quite understand why the OHSAA would allow/enable that move.
If u never live there don’t speak on my Community he could care less about state championships do you know how many lives he changed with that school

This state championship is just a bonus for the community

I stated my opinion, you stated yours. We disagree. Gotta love America.
As far as a "specific bet", my circle has "no bets" status on more than one of these finals. Side bets on those games are normally on what time in the game will the winning team achieve a running clock. That's where D4 is. Hey, we could be way off, and from time to time have been totally wrong... but usually the consensus opinion is pretty close.
OK-- I'm trying to make sense of all that... It sounds like you are so confident that Glenville is going to run Wyoming off the field that you are NOT willing to make a bet on that at all ("no bets" status)-- but rather, you ARE willing to make a bet on "what time in the game the winning team (which you appear to be saying will be Glenville) will achieve a running clock"-- so, what's your claim there? When will it happen, and how much would you wager on that?

If u never live there don’t speak on my Community he could care less about state championships do you know how many lives he changed with that school
Baloney-- you don't get to decide WHO "speak(s) on (your) Community"-- but, having said that, I did NOT speak on "your Community" any way-- you seem a little lost.

NWS forecast as of Sunday evening

Thursday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 35.
Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 24.
Friday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 44.
Friday Night
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Saturday
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 50.
Saturday Night
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 37. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Last edited:
Miles to Tom Benson Stadium

D1

St. Edward = 63.0
Springfield = 176

D2
Hoban = 19.4
Toledo CC = 156

D3
Canfield = 42.3
Bloom-Carroll = 135

D4
Wyoming = 232
Glenville = 63.7

D5
Ironton = 233
South Range = 40.4

D6
Marion Local = 202
Kirtland = 65.0

D7
New Bremen = 193
Warren JFK = 54.2
All the matchups this year involve one team having a noticeable travel disadvantage. So, it doesn't matter who they put on Thursday, it was going to be inconvenient for someone.

OHSAA Football State Championship Pairings
All games at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium, Canton
Home team listed first.
Pairings include overall record and Associated Press state rank (top-10 only).

Division II State Championship - Thursday, Dec. 1, 7 p.m.
No. 2 Akron Archbishop Hoban (14-1) vs. No. 5 Toledo Central Catholic (14-1)

Division V State Championship - Friday, Dec. 2, 10:30 a.m.
No. 1 Ironton (15-0) vs. No. 2 Canfield South Range (15-0)

Division III State Championship - Friday, Dec. 2, 3 p.m.
No. 3 Canfield (13-1) vs. Carroll Bloom-Carroll (14-1)

Division I State Championship - Friday, Dec. 2, 7:30 p.m.
No. 1 Lakewood St. Edward (14-1) vs. No. 4 Springfield (13-1)

Division VI State Championship - Saturday, Dec. 3, 10:30 a.m.
No. 1 Maria Stein Marion Local (15-0) vs. No. 2 Kirtland (15-0)

Division VII State Championship - Saturday, Dec. 3, 3 p.m.
No. 7 New Bremen (12-3) vs. No. 1 Warren John F. Kennedy (13-1)

Division IV State Championship - Saturday, Dec. 3, 7:30 p.m.
No. 2 Cincinnati Wyoming (15-0) vs. No. 1 Cleveland Glenville (14-0)

All the matchups this year involve one team having a noticeable travel disadvantage. So, it doesn't matter who they put on Thursday, it was going to be inconvenient for someone.
The question raised was, has it been the same division getting assigned Th and why, not whether someone would get it.

I haven't followed all of the discussion. I know D3 Toledo team was on a Th and the same now in D2 team got the Th. Whether D1 or the others have, IDK. If not, it's a legit question to ask why not.

A centralized stadium. Verses here and there. We traveled from Massillon to Altoona Pennsylvania. We still won.

The question raised was, has it been the same division getting assigned Th and why, not whether someone would get it.

I haven't followed all of the discussion. I know D3 Toledo team was on a Th and the same now in D2 team got the Th. Whether D1 or the others have, IDK. If not, it's a legit question to ask why not.
D3 had the Thursday games in 13, 14, and 15.

D2 has had it since 2016, except 2020 when there were no Thursday games.

With D3 on Thursday night, the evening games on Friday/Saturday were:
  • 2013 - Friday D2, Saturday D7
  • 2014 - Friday D2, Saturday D5
  • 2015 - Friday D2, Saturday D4
With D2 on Thursday night, the evening games on Friday/Saturday were:
  • 2016 - Friday D1, Saturday D5
  • 2017 - Friday D1, Saturday D3
  • 2018 - Friday D1, Saturday D4
  • 2019 - Friday D1, Saturday D5
  • 2021 - Friday D1, Saturday D5
  • 2022 - Friday D1, Saturday D4

Last edited:

I was aware of the question, just was making the observation that at least it worked out this year that it wouldn't have mattered from a travel standpoint. It seems to me they announced that Thursday would be the D2 matchup even earlier than usual this year, so like you, I would love to know their reasoning why. It obviously made sense when Hoban and Massillon have matched up, but I don't understand why they can't at least wait until after the Friday night semi-final games to see who's left. I'm guessing it has something to do with a strategy around attendance, since it's the one stand alone game.