Stadium with the best view

oxat622

What high school stadium you've been to has the best view from the stands?

For me, it's Kings. The home stands are very tall and steep. If you look beyond the south endzone, you can see all the rollercoasters and towers at Kings Island and you can get a free fireworks show if the game goes past 10:00. Also beyond the visitor stands begins a valley that goes down to the Little Miami River, so the top of the home stands are above the tree line of some decent forestry, and you even have the two towers from the Peters Cartridge complex poking out in the distance.

I'm sure Sykotyk probably knows of a place plopped in the middle of Glacier National Park.

View for a game or view of the surrounding landscape? Easy for me if for a game, Don Paul in Fremont. Climbing up the home stands is like climbing a ladder to clean out the gutters. No track means you basically are on top of the field. As for views of the surrounding area being in NWO it is flat as a pancake with nothing really cool to see. Maybe on a clear day you get a view of the local nuclear power plant, probably too far from Cedar Point to really see anything from there.

1704837519521.png

Fawcett. If you mean still alive, then Infocision at the University of Akron and then the home stands at Byers. All three of these for the same reasons you mentioned minus the roller coasters.

For me, it's Kings. The home stands are very tall and steep. If you look beyond the south endzone, you can see all the rollercoasters and towers at Kings Island and you can get a free fireworks show if the game goes past 10:00. Also beyond the visitor stands begins a valley that goes down to the Little Miami River, so the top of the home stands are above the tree line of some decent forestry, and you even have the two towers from the Peters Cartridge complex poking out in the distance.

I'm sure Sykotyk probably knows of a place plopped in the middle of Glacier National Park.
Any pictures?

My only time at Kings was back in 2013. I remember liking the place but remember that was the year with the intense heat wave that rescheduled all the Saturday games in the Showdown.

I'll stick just to Ohio for a moment. There's not a ton of 'views' aside from wooded areas or the sides/backs of the school buildings nearby. A lot of times the best view is from the visitor side facing the home side.

The old stadium in McDonald had the school all along the visitor side, very similar to Cleveland Heights:

Also, Conneaut is surprisingly picturesque for it's location in town. it's near a little 'recreation area' and not by the school:

Harding Stadium in Steubenville definitely deserves to be mentioned, if only for Man'o'War:

Old Perkins Field in Bridgeport has a view of the hill and interstate 70, but no longer has a roof on the new stadium:

1/

Nothing spectacular about Beallsville:

Until you look at the home side:

River has a good view from the visitor side looking toward West Virginia beyond the home stands and high school:

Not only do the River Pilots play at Martin P. Flannery Field, Martin Flannery's grave sits on the hill overlooking his namesake field:

(also, his son Mike Flannery has been coach of the same River Pilots for 21 seasons now)

2/

It will be sad to see the old Fair Bowl in Caldwell no longer hosting Caldwell High School games:

But it was fun to see games when the fair was going on. Buy whatever food you wanted from the fair and just walk over the stadium. Admission to the game was covered with the admission to the fair.

Waterloo might not have had a stadium when I saw them (using a flatbed trailer as a pressbox instead):

But, the east/west layout gave for a nice sunset:

Chagrin Falls doesn't need a backdrop if you sit up here under the roof:

Great stadium, though:

Mentor's stadium has a good view:

Conotton Valleyw as one of my favorite places years ago when I was in Steubenville. Then they got lights. And now have turf, as well. But it was always a throwback type atmosphere playing on Saturday afternoons.

Literally the view behind the home stand:

And from there, to Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York:

3/

Last edited:
And though Sheakley Athletic Center's "wall" is impressive:

It's nothing...

...compared to The Cliff...

... in Hurley, Virginia (Smiley Ratliff Field):

It's not just a field carved into a mountain. It's a very tight valley the school is in, and every direction is a great view. The school will be closing in the next few years. Merging with rivals Grundy and Twin Valley to form a new school. They make up the three schools in the northern crook of Virginia where it meets Kentucky and West Virginia. Getting there was an adventure. There are no straight roads anywhere. Nothing but tiny, windy mountain roads.

Screenshot 2024-01-09 193845.png

But my personal favorite is Wolverine Mountain.

Sheffield, Pennsylvania is a very small town in the northern reaches of the Allegheny National Forest along US6. The school is about 20 minutes east of Warren. They don't play on a field. They don't play in a stadium. The Sheffield Wolverines play on a Mountain. It's actually named: Wolverine Mountain.

Here's the steps to get from the school to the field level:

The school is somewhere in the background. You can't see it at field level:

It's probably my favorite place in the country to see a game:

Unfortunately, aside from a miracle 2013 season, the Sheffield Wolverines are not good. Even in my panorama video I made they fumbled:

Paint Valley has the best view. Kings looks nice and i will put it on the bucket list. Madison Plains with the sun setting is excellent- what you’d expect from rural Ohio football.

Last edited:
Just for backgrounds (of images):

Smiley Ratliff Field, Hurley, Virginia

Leo Barrone Field, Steubenville, Ohio

Dwyer Field, Renovo, Pennsylvania

Veterans Park, Salamanca, New York (just because of the ungodly amount of snow)

Ryan Field, Grass Range, Montana (old, old cell phone pic from 2011)

View for a game or view of the surrounding landscape? Easy for me if for a game, Don Paul in Fremont. Climbing up the home stands is like climbing a ladder to clean out the gutters. No track means you basically are on top of the field. As for views of the surrounding area being in NWO it is flat as a pancake with nothing really cool to see. Maybe on a clear day you get a view of the local nuclear power plant, probably too far from Cedar Point to really see anything from there.

View attachment 52737
If you are up too high at Don Paul you can’t see the corner of the end zone and sideline from about the ten yard line to the end zone.

Harding Stadium in Steubenville is hard to beat. Homeside, visitor side and both end end zones go goal line to goal and all four are right on top of the field. When it’s packed the atmosphere is fabulous.

Harding Stadium in Steubenville is hard to beat. Homeside, visitor side and both end end zones go goal line to goal and all four are right on top of the field. When it’s packed the atmosphere is fabulous.
Removing view of the field from the equation, how are the views of areas beyond the seats?

Last edited:
Celina Stadium, good for fans, bad for anyone in the press box. Home side concrete is 16 rows high, extending from the 15 yard line to the 15 yard line. Wooden extension added in the 90s adds from the 10 yard line into the endzone and past the south endzone. Students and band in the south endzone as well. Visitors side is 9 rows high and extended goal line to goal line. I would suspect bleachers in the south endzone (not student) may be not good. My seats are 4 rows up on the 45 yd line and we can hear and smell the players. Sidelines are very narrow on both sides.

TV camera angles are not great if they are in the press box, due to press box being right on the field, and not set back. Many times I have seen coaches and media halfway out the windows trying to see a play finish.

Bainbridge Paint Valley, Morgantown High school Morgantown WV, and University High school in Morgantown both have wonderful views

Celina Stadium, good for fans, bad for anyone in the press box. Home side concrete is 16 rows high, extending from the 15 yard line to the 15 yard line. Wooden extension added in the 90s adds from the 10 yard line into the endzone and past the south endzone. Students and band in the south endzone as well. Visitors side is 9 rows high and extended goal line to goal line. I would suspect bleachers in the south endzone (not student) may be not good. My seats are 4 rows up on the 45 yd line and we can hear and smell the players. Sidelines are very narrow on both sides.

TV camera angles are not great if they are in the press box, due to press box being right on the field, and not set back. Many times I have seen coaches and media halfway out the windows trying to see a play finish.
Loved playing at that place. I remember watching film, and if a play was on the visitor sideline, the camera was literally pointing straight down

Loved playing at that place. I remember watching film, and if a play was on the visitor sideline, the camera was literally pointing straight down

The stadium was built in 1941 as a WPA project. I spent every Friday night of my high school years (1977-1980) cheering on the Bulldogs. I love stadiums with no track surrounding the field. At that time, the band was directly behind the visiting team's bench on the visitor's side and we had the best seats in the place. We were literally 5 yards from the sidelines and could hear the opposing coaches calling the plays when they were on offense... and did our best to let our players know what was coming, lol.

View attachment 52737
Stamm Elementary behind Visitors Section no longer in existence. All parking nowadays

Caught a game a few years ago when Indian Creek hosted Hubbard in the playoffs. I remember thinking how neat of an environment it was there. November colors of the trees at night. Don't have any pics to back it up, though. Wish I did. Couldn't find any pics on Google that would back up my claims either.

Had to look for this old gem of a post. Love the old school stadiums, especially the one that looks like a ruin from medieval times.
Some really superb stadiums out there.

I always liked Tahquitz's stadium out here in Hemet from the moment I saw it. Entire school built in front of a mountain.

1704900588994.jpeg

1704900629620.jpeg

Last edited: