St. Xavier Football 2022

Week 2 at Loyola Academy in Chicago will be the Bombers 5th ESPN game

Bombers on ESPN (1-3)
2007 (Sunday Sept. 2) DeMatha at Nippert Stadium. StX won 28-7
2010 (Sunday Aug. 29) Our Lady Good Counsel at StX. Bombers lost 21-6
2016 (Saturday Aug. 27) St. John Bosco at Nippert Stadium. StX lost 34-0
2020 (Saturday Aug. 29) at Brownsburg StX lost 30-24 OT
2022 (Sunday Aug. 28) at Loyola Academy (Wilmette IL)

The deck is stacked against X......Loyola at home, Bombers traveling 5 hours by bus morning of the game, Loyola returns 12 starters, Bombers return 3 starters (and 4 part-timers), Bombers completely new defensive secondary vs QB who was Chicago Catholic League player of the year with top returning WR and a pair of D1 TEs.
The one thing in their favor they will have already played the Lakota West game and this is the Ramblers season opener.

GO X!

Last edited:
The Bombers will be looking for their first win on ESPN vs Loyola Academy on August 28th.

Bombers on ESPN (0-3)
2010 Our Lady Good Counsel at StX lost 21-6
2016 St. John Bosco at Nippert Stadium lost 34-0
2020 at Brownsburg lost 30-24 OT
2022 at Loyola Academy

The deck is stacked against X......Loyola at home, Bombers traveling 5 hours by bus morning of the game, Loyola returns 12 starters, Bombers return 3 starters (and 4 part-timers), Bombers completely new defensive secondary vs QB who was Chicago Catholic League player of the year with top returning WR and a pair of D1 TEs.
The one thing in their favor they will have already played the Lakota West game and this is the Ramblers season opener.

GO X!
Reload: If memory serves me correctly,......I think the DeMatha game in 07 was on ESPN.........but we get the picture.

P.S. Go Bombers !!!

And I think you can add the loss to Lakeland in 06 to your list. Believe that one was on ESPN also.

P.S. Go Bombers !!!

And I think you can add the loss to Lakeland in 06 to your list. Believe that one was on ESPN also.

P.S. Go Bombers !!!
I was going to add in the Lakeland game. Frankly, weren't all/most of our Herbie games on ESPN? I know we won some of those. Also, who televised the Prattville game? We won that one.

I assume everyone saw/heard the Mike Tirico shout-out to X during the Super Bowl pregame last night. Kind of fitting that two of the fans in the last shot as he was saying it (Tiger-striped suits) were X class of '88.

A lot (but not all) of the Herbie games were on ESPN. Prattville was at PBS and I can't remember whether or not it was televised,....or by whom. I did hear the shout-out which included both St. X and Colerain. Yea,..........pretty neat.

P.S. Go Bombers !!!

Reload: If memory serves me correctly,......I think the DeMatha game in 07 was on ESPN.........but we get the picture.

P.S. Go Bombers !!!
Nice catch.
Updated post #31 in this thread

Per Cincy Enquirer...

St. X confirmed on ESPN

The St. Xavier-DeMatha (Md.) football game officially will be telecast nationally on ESPN on Sunday, Sept. 2 at noon. It is the marquee game of the Burger King Kirk Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA Challenge.

Danny Sternfield of Chicago-based Intersport, which is organizing the Herbstreit event, has confirmed the ESPN arrangement in an e-mail to me. Event organizers had been saying the event was probable to be telecast on ESPN, but final details were being arranged the past several weeks.

Sternfield also said the Clayton Northmont-Pittsburgh Central Catholic game, which follows the St. X game around 3 p.m., will be telecast on ESPNU.

The four Herbstreit games from Canton, which will be played Saturday Sept. 1 and do not involve any Cincinnati teams, will be televised on tape delay by the NFL Network, Sternfield said.

P.S. Go Bombers !!!
I can't find any evidence that the 2006 Lakeland game (25-22 OT Bomber loss) was on ESPN.
Please post if you find it.
The 2014 East St. Louis home opener (X won 35-20) was originally scheduled for ESPN.
ESPN opted for an ESL game later in the season.

I was going to add in the Lakeland game. Frankly, weren't all/most of our Herbie games on ESPN? I know we won some of those. Also, who televised the Prattville game? We won that one.

I assume everyone saw/heard the Mike Tirico shout-out to X during the Super Bowl pregame last night. Kind of fitting that two of the fans in the last shot as he was saying it (Tiger-striped suits) were X class of '88.
I can't find any evidence that the 2008 Prattville game (15-10 Bomber victory that snapped a 30 game winning streak) was on ESPN.
Please post if you find

This will be the Bombers 5th ESPN game

Bombers on ESPN (1-3)
2007 (Sunday Sept. 2) DeMatha at Nippert Stadium. StX won 28-7
2010 (Sunday Aug. 29) Our Lady Good Counsel at StX. Bombers lost 21-6
2016 (Saturday Aug. 27) St. John Bosco at Nippert Stadium. StX lost 34-0
2020 (Saturday Aug. 29) at Brownsburg StX lost 30-24 OT
2022 (Sunday Aug. 28) at Loyola Academy (Wilmette IL)
The first 2 Bomber ESPN games were also on Sunday

A good omen.....3 of the 4 years X has played on ESPN they went on to win D1 Ohio State titles (where were you in '05 ESPN????)

The 2010 X team lost in the state semis to Wayne 28-24 when a stellar pass play by Braxton Miller led to the winning TD in the waning moments.

ESPN Opponents final records
DeMatha 2007 finished 10-2 beat Good Counsel 12-7 in final
Good Counsel 2010 finished 10-2 beating DeMatha 42-3 in final
St. John Bosco 2016 finished 13-2 beating De La Salle 56-33 in final
Brownsburg 2020 finished 8-2 losing to Carmel 21-7 in second round

Would love to hear thoughts on the line-up for this coming season. With so many starters departing the High School campus to start their adult lives... only leaving two or three current Juniors who had the glory of being first on the field for each game... Fleetwood, Wassler,..... were there any others?

On offense, Napier and Rivers got some time ar RB and showed some skill. I think Houston is the only WR I remember seeing much of. O'Malley seemed ahead of the two juniors last year at the backup QB, though looked like more of an athlete than passed. The line has potential, just not a lot of experience aside from Fleetwood. Fogler is massive, just needs some more technical development. There is a lot of size, just not much playing time.

Defense has Hammond at NT and Bonner at LB returning, and both are very good. Hammond has potential to be a special player. PJ Rose made some plays last year at LB, but aside from that, the defense was just stacked with seniors on the first and second teams. The '08 team is probably the best comparison, with a few verrrry good players surrounded by average X players.

This team will have the advantage of the 16 team playoff format, and depending on development could be a real pain in the butt for a higher seeded team, even if they lose 5-7 games during the regular season because of a difficult schedule.

Non-GCL Schedule

Week 10: This will be the Bombers first opponent from the great state of Virginia. StX will have played teams from 13 states: Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Maryland, California, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Illinois, Georgia and now Virginia
Week 10 opponent is Life Christian Academy from South Chesterfield VA.
2021 Record: 4-6
On paper they are impressive

StX 2022 Schedule (confirmed)
Friday August 19 7pm at Lakota West
Sunday August 28 1pm at Loyola Academy (Chicago IL)
Friday September 2 7pm Powell Olentangy at StX
Friday September 9 7pm Penn (Mishawka IN) at StX
Friday September 16 7pm Moeller at StX
Friday September 23 7pm at Elder
Friday September 30 7pm at Louisville Trinity
Friday October 7 7pm at LaSalle
Saturday October 15 2pm St. Ignatius at StX
Friday October 21 7pm Life Christian Academy (South Chesterfield VA)

Week 10 opponent is Life Christian Academy from South Chesterfield VA.
2021 Record: 4-6
On paper they are impressive
Return entire offensive line and they are ginormous (average 330lb)

LCA Offensive Line
LT #71 Joshua Doogie Miller Sr. 6’6” 320lb Penn State commit
LG #74 Salah Hawash Sr. 6’8” 380lb
C #54 Kendall Hatch Sr. 6’4” 325lb
RG #60 Daron Thompson So. 6’2” 250lb
RT #75 Bryant Nowlin Jr. 6’8” 380lb

Their star RB received 3 D1 scholarship offers last season, his freshmen year (see article)
RB #4 Michael Dabney So. 5’7” 170lb offers from Boston College, Pitt and Maryland

*Per the article Pitt also offered 8th grade RB Kel Dabney (likely Michael's younger brother) who will be a freshman on LCA's team next season so we may see him on Ballaban field as well.

They may have a QB competition entering camp between a senior and sophomore

QB #19 Dorian Fleming Sr. 6’4” 225lb Sr. returning starter
QB #6 Isaiah French So. 6’2” 187lb high grades at QB camps

LCA returns a couple players from their defensive front 6

LB #25 Kamari Loving So. 6’0” 218lb offer from Pitt
DE #18 Terrence Willis Jr. 6’2” 265lb

They have multiple skill players who play both sides of the ball wide receiver and defensive secondary

#1 Kaleb Spencer 6’3” 200lb LSU commit
#5 Antonio Cotman 6’3” 195lb 18 D1 offers
#11 B.J. Lowery Sr. 5’10” 175lb offer from Pitt
#15 J’Ron Lawrence Sr. 5’11” 175lb
#22 Justice Thompson Jr. 6’1” 190lb

The first scrimmage is a 4 way scrimmage with Centerville, Pick Central, and St X louisville (subject to change). Saturday August 6 at 10 am.

Sounds like Specht has hired some new assistant coaches including an Advance Scout to help gameplan against opponents. I assuming this means someone that actually attends the games of future opponents instead of just watching film.

It was cool to see Joey getting some attention. Good kid. the top 23 in the Enquier… heard he went to Duke last week. Vandy and Tennessee next. Heading up to Princeton, Yale, Harvard camps this June. Think there are four going up together! That’s a cool road-trip!

According to the new scheduling app Coach Specht uses for the kids' wellness surveys, Week 1 vs Lakota West appears to be at TQL Stadium, home of FC Cincinnati. Do you guys think since X is home vs Moeller this year, the game won't be at Nippert like last year?

I'm sure they want to play as many games at home as possible. If they're playing at tql, its more than likely a crosstown showdown game. Im surprised West would be willing to forego playing at their place.

According to the new scheduling app Coach Specht uses for the kids' wellness surveys, Week 1 vs Lakota West appears to be at TQL Stadium, home of FC Cincinnati. Do you guys think since X is home vs Moeller this year, the game won't be at Nippert like last year?
The X/Moeller game will be at X.

I'm sure they want to play as many games at home as possible. If they're playing at tql, its more than likely a crosstown showdown game. Im surprised West would be willing to forego playing at their place.
Wasn't Lakota West home when they played X at Paul Brown Stadium in 2018?

Non-GCL Schedule

Week 1
: The Bombers are 4-1 lifetime vs the Firebirds. The lone loss blew the Bombers chance to repeat as D1 champs. Coach Bolden returns 6 starters on offense - his son Mitch at QB, WR Trent Lloyd 51 catches for 612 yards 8 TDs, WR/S Ben Minich 16 catches for 251 yards and 4 TDs and 2 undersized linemen (225lb and 240lb). 6 starters return on defense: DE Elijah Davis 6'2" 260lb (47 tackles and 6 sacks), LB Jake Asbeck (60 tackles/5.5 sacks), LB Mike Brankamp (30 tackles in only 7 games), S Minich (49 tackles), S *Malik Hartford (58 tackles and 2 INTs) and CB *Josh Fussell (41 tackles and led the GMC in interceptions with 6, 2 of them vs StX in the playoffs). Gone are the big dogs Afari, Brown, Miller, Tshbola, Goode, McComis and Henderson
*multiple D1 offers
Malik Hartford commits to play at THEEEE Ohio State University

The first scrimmage is a 4 way scrimmage with Centerville, Pick Central, and St X louisville (subject to change). Saturday August 6 at 10 am
StX 2022 Schedule

Pre-Season

Saturday August 6 10am at Centerville (Centerville, Pick Central and Canal Winchester)
Friday August 12 7pm Colerain

Regular Season

StX 2022 Schedule

Pre-Season

Saturday August 6 10am at Centerville (Centerville, Pick Central and Canal Winchester)
Friday August 12 7pm Colerain

Regular Season
LCA is at X, right? Assuming I can get tickets to the Lakota West game, I think I might be at every game this year except Loyola.