St. Xavier Football 2021

bomberinmonroe

This year is going to be a tough act to follow, and all 4 captains were huge contributors. Fortunately, Bombers only lose those 4, Whitehouse, and Patterson.. giant shoes to fill, but only 12 shoes.

On offense the obvious question is at WR. If Anderson gets healthy on defense, he may be able to take Nolan's role, and allow him to play WR. Klare showed better speed than I expected, so he could be the other, with Wass the younger at TE, and McFarlin working the slot. I could see all three gathering offers before the season is done.
The only other question is if there are any sophs capable of taking a line spot? Fleetwood has good size, and did fine when Parker was out against SHS, but who would he replace? Collins, Parker, and Renneker will be three year starters, and Koch was GCL second team, and is probably looking at some offers soon as well. Uhl may be the odd man out, or maybe Fleetwood comes in for the jumbo like Wasser did this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4GX

On defense, things get a little trickier, it's replacing the spine from front to back. It looks like Prophater and Braylon Adams would be next in line to replace Albanese, with maybe Dollenmeyer and Buerkle at the ends. Not taking anything away from Whitehouse either, he was solid.
I think Dubois may be the easiest to replace in that FS position, but not sure how to replace Devine. Reilly may be able to play inside, but I think he'd need to muscle up. I don't know if you move Lyons at all, he just kept getting better and better, and was the defensive star against PC. Cummings seems to have the spirit to replace Devine, but does he have the ability? Maybe Reilly inside and Marque' on the edge?
Still, a pretty solid foundation, and if some more speed comes up from JV for the backfield, that defense could be awfully good.

Reactions: 4GX
This year is going to be a tough act to follow, and all 4 captains were huge contributors. Fortunately, Bombers only lose those 4, Whitehouse, and Patterson.. giant shoes to fill, but only 12 shoes.

On offense the obvious question is at WR. If Anderson gets healthy on defense, he may be able to take Nolan's role, and allow him to play WR. Karen showed better speed than I expected, so he could be the other, with Wass the younger at TE, and McFarlin working the slot. I could see all three gathering offers before the season is done.
The only other question is if there are any sophs capable of taking a line spot? Fleetwood has good size, and did fine when Parker was out against SHS, but who would he replace? Collins, Parker, and Renneker will be three year starters, and Koch was GCL first team, and is probably looking at some offers soon as well. Uhl may be the odd man out, or maybe Fleetwood comes in for the jumbo like Wasser did this year.

Not sure how you could leave out Klare on offense. See him as a hybrid TE/WR in the mold of a Tyler Eifert, even though he is a really good blocker, and lining up in the slot quite a lot. Also need to include him on special teams as I think he will be a weapon, consistently hitting it deep and getting the touchback (although I hear the coaches are seriously considering kicking it out of bounds every time).

On defense, things get a little trickier, it's replacing the spine from front to back. It looks like Prophater and Braylon Adams would be next in line to replace Albanese, with maybe Dollenmeyer and Buerkle at the ends. Not taking anything away from Whitehouse either, he was solid.
I think Dubois may be the easiest to replace in that FS position, but not sure how to replace Devine. Reilly may be able to play inside, but I think he'd need to muscle up. I don't know if you move Lyons at all, he just kept getting better and better, and was the defensive star against PC. Cummings seems to have the spirit to replace Devine, but does he have the ability? Maybe Reilly inside and Marque' on the edge?
Still, a pretty solid foundation, and if some more speed comes up from JV for the backfield, that defense could be awfully good.

Once again, not sure how we could leave out maybe the biggest name coming back in Grant Lyons. I think the PC game was a huge coming out game for him. Obviously not a replacement for Devine or Albanese - but certainly a place we can expect to get some serious backfield pressure.

Not sure how you could leave out Klare on offense. See him as a hybrid TE/WR in the mold of a Tyler Eifert, even though he is a really good blocker, and lining up in the slot quite a lot. Also need to include him on special teams as I think he will be a weapon, consistently hitting it deep and getting the touchback (although I hear the coaches are seriously considering kicking it out of bounds every time).
Apparently my phone switched Klare to Karen. I agree, he has huge potential

Does anyone know if X has ever explored trying to get a game(s) with Indiana's Center Grove? They won the title in Indiana last year, and are undefeated and playing for the title this year-- they appear to be better than Brownsburg-- and gave Cathedral its only defeat this year-- seems like it would be an excellent matchup for X next year-- if it were possible.

Looking at Center Grove's schedule they pretty much stick to their conference games and other teams in the Indy area.

Does anyone know if X has ever explored trying to get a game(s) with Indiana's Center Grove? They won the title in Indiana last year, and are undefeated and playing for the title this year-- they appear to be better than Brownsburg-- and gave Cathedral its only defeat this year-- seems like it would be an excellent matchup for X next year-- if it were possible.
Was Brownsburg only a home and away two year deal or are they on the schedule in 2021. With the addition of Lakota West I am not sure that X really needs another dog on their schedule. Having Lakota West, Cathedral and the GCL is already a gauntlet without adding in another top team. We need to have a schedule that tests our team, but we also need a break here and there so that we arent beat up by the time we get to the playoffs.

My understanding was that Brownsburg was only a two year deal and that Penn was a four year agreement.

Was Brownsburg only a home and away two year deal or are they on the schedule in 2021. With the addition of Lakota West I am not sure that X really needs another dog on their schedule. Having Lakota West, Cathedral and the GCL is already a gauntlet without adding in another top team. We need to have a schedule that tests our team, but we also need a break here and there so that we arent beat up by the time we get to the playoffs.
Well, that's five games of a (hoped for) 10-game schedule-- it will be tough to find 5 more teams that will want to play X-- in Ohio... we know that Ig and Louisville X add two more likely games... but that still leaves 3 holes that are hard to fill-- i really hope X does not play the Canadian team(s) any more-- and I really don't want to see any additional 4-5 hour drives for games (which is why, much as they seem like a natural rival, I don't want a regular home-and-home with Ed added to the schedule)-- it would make a lot more sense, from a travel perspective, to have a game with a top Indy public than with Ed--and that still leaves two more difficult holes to fill-- maybe one comes from the start of year Skyline event-- but, it seems likely to me that that would be Lakota West (unless Colerain is really going to stay on the schedule, without Bolden there-- which strikes me as unlikely)-- meaning you still need to find 2 teams that will even play-- and we saw what happened to the best of the local public HS (Walnut)-- no one is going to sign up for that-- even if every team makes the playoffs-- which, BTW, they SHOULD, every year...

That one simple, long-overdue change would go a long way to helping X get 10 games without having to schedule Canada-- if every team makes the playoffs, some teams might gamble on playing X, to try to get better-- so they have a chance at being more ready for the playoffs--maybe even Pick Central would want to play during the season (though I KNOW they don't have to, to get their schedule filled). Specht always talks about trying to get better every day-- and not being able to do that playing teams that are non-competitive-- I don't think he worries about playing a meat-grinder schedule--in fact, that is his preference-- and if every team made the playoffs, maybe a few more teams would step up to that bar of competitiveness... I think X was better when it played Louisville Trinity and LX.

Saw a note that indicated that Sr X signed a two year deal with Colerain through the 2022 season so they are on the schedule.

Once again, not sure how we could leave out maybe the biggest name coming back in Grant Lyons. I think the PC game was a huge coming out game for him. Obviously not a replacement for Devine or Albanese - but certainly a place we can expect to get some serious backfield pressure.
Lyons is in there, 4th line down. I agree though, he and Buerkle are probably the top two on the defense returning. The backfield kept getting better through the year.

Well, that's five games of a (hoped for) 10-game schedule-- it will be tough to find 5 more teams that will want to play X-- in Ohio... we know that Ig and Louisville X add two more likely games... but that still leaves 3 holes that are hard to fill-- i really hope X does not play the Canadian team(s) any more-- and I really don't want to see any additional 4-5 hour drives for games (which is why, much as they seem like a natural rival, I don't want a regular home-and-home with Ed added to the schedule)-- it would make a lot more sense, from a travel perspective, to have a game with a top Indy public than with Ed--and that still leaves two more difficult holes to fill-- maybe one comes from the start of year Skyline event-- but, it seems likely to me that that would be Lakota West (unless Colerain is really going to stay on the schedule, without Bolden there-- which strikes me as unlikely)-- meaning you still need to find 2 teams that will even play-- and we saw what happened to the best of the local public HS (Walnut)-- no one is going to sign up for that-- even if every team makes the playoffs-- which, BTW, they SHOULD, every year...

That one simple, long-overdue change would go a long way to helping X get 10 games without having to schedule Canada-- if every team makes the playoffs, some teams might gamble on playing X, to try to get better-- so they have a chance at being more ready for the playoffs--maybe even Pick Central would want to play during the season (though I KNOW they don't have to, to get their schedule filled). Specht always talks about trying to get better every day-- and not being able to do that playing teams that are non-competitive-- I don't think he worries about playing a meat-grinder schedule--in fact, that is his preference-- and if every team made the playoffs, maybe a few more teams would step up to that bar of competitiveness... I think X was better when it played Louisville Trinity and LX.
I definitely would not mind going to a 9 game regular season, with everyone making the playoffs. Teams like the GCL schools, Ed's, Ignatius that are either playing in small conferences or no conference always have a tough time because of the Harbin system (which is still solid overall, and I think should be used to determine seeding if they go to everyone in the pool).

Specht is never going to shy away from playing tough competition, I don't think the problem has ever been on the X side. Unfortunately, locally the GMC is so big that their conference schedule eats into their overall schedule quite a bit. Walnut Hills has been a recent foe, but I'm not sure they want to continue those beatings. I also can't see a team like West Clermont wanting to get involved. From the d2 side, Winton Woods and Hoban could be interesting. Screw Massillon though, not out of fear, just don't want to deal with their obnoxious fans on here or in person. I would love to see a regular rotation with some of the GWOC schools playing the GCL schools. Wayne is usually above average, Springfield has been getting better since their consolidation, and Springboro, Centerville, and Northmont seem to rotate having good years. It would be a good measuring stick for both conferences.

How many teams then are on the schedule for next year? Penn, Louisville X, Ignatius, Colerain, Elder, Moeller, and LaSalle. If Lakota West is on the schedule that makes 8 games. I don't like the games against Canadian teams either. What was the reasoning behind the end of the series with Indy Warren Central? I wouldn't mind seeing a game against Springfield or Northmont.

St.X used to play Brentwood Academy and they beat us the last time X played them. They are a pretty good team. Moeller played Montgomery Bell who is also a TN team.

There are some really good schools in the Nashville area. That could be a fun road trips for families and play some really good competition.
That's another ~5-hour road trip--you just can't realistically travel there and back and play, all in one day--- it can be done (on a Saturday)-- but that is onerous-- one of those (Ig) every other year is enough, in my opinion. I have heard that Specht much prefers to be playing on (the traditional) Friday nights.

How many teams then are on the schedule for next year? Penn, Louisville X, Ignatius, Colerain, Elder, Moeller, and LaSalle. If Lakota West is on the schedule that makes 8 games. I don't like the games against Canadian teams either. What was the reasoning behind the end of the series with Indy Warren Central? I wouldn't mind seeing a game against Springfield or Northmont.
There was a really bad experience with Warren Central, in X's last game against them-- it was not the loss (which was not X's finest hour), but the "extra-curricular" events in the last moments of the game and immediately after-- without going into details, I will just say that I wouldn't expect X to play Warren Central again (at least as long as Specht and that WC head coach are still at their respective schools). I don't know who behaved worse when visiting X-- Don Bosco or Warren Central-- but, from what I've heard, those two are right near the top of the bad actor listings.

I too would like to see games with Springfield or Northmont-- or Wayne or Centerville, if they get back to their former level-- but probably NONE of those are likely to happen without some kind of change to the playoff system (allowing all teams in)-- because they all (like Colerain) have a significant league schedule already-- and won't want to risk losing a game that might keep them out of the playoffs.

Colerain was unique-- in that they expected to "run the table" in their league every year-- and Bolden was close friends with Specht... I am surprised that Colerain agreed to two more games (now that Bolden is gone); but Colerain does still have 3 non-league schedule spots to fill-- and until Colerain starts demonstrating that it has slipped down the performance ladder, no other local (non-GMC) schools are going to want to play them. I fully expect that, once Colerain's diminished performance starts to become evident, they will no longer want to keep playing X-- and will have less trouble finding an alternate (local) opponent.

Last edited:
West is week 1 next year. Regarding Colerain, those are Bolden disciples coaching there now so they have some of the same toughness and won't shy away like the other GMC's.

Agree on Warren Central, was there, that game won't ever happen again.

Walnut HIlls showed up on the schedule when the X asst coach went there, he exited quickly so when that 2 yr deal expired it was done, don't see them wanting to renew, particularly with what they pulled leading up to the playoff game this year.

Winton Woods is now in a league so likely won't have near the past scheduling challenge, so I count them out.

Maybe Trinity, otherwise I got nothin' unfortunately.

West is week 1 next year. Regarding Colerain, those are Bolden disciples coaching there now so they have some of the same toughness and won't shy away like the other GMC's.

Agree on Warren Central, was there, that game won't ever happen again.

Walnut HIlls showed up on the schedule when the X asst coach went there, he exited quickly so when that 2 yr deal expired it was done, don't see them wanting to renew, particularly with what they pulled leading up to the playoff game this year.

Winton Woods is now in a league so likely won't have near the past scheduling challenge, so I count them out.

Maybe Trinity, otherwise I got nothin' unfortunately.
What did Walnut Hills “pull” in the lead-up to the playoff game this year— that you refer to above?

I just have a hard time seeing Colerain, if they slip down the competition ladder like I think they will, being willing to continue the series with X— it could become an Elder- Western Hills (or Elder-Oak Hills) type game, in only 4-5 years— without the neighborhood rivalry aspect— and quickly get cancelled— though I know X has been playing Colerain in the regular season (off and on) going back to (at least) the 1970’s— so maybe it will— but, as long as teams have to worry about qualifying for the playoffs, coaches will be reluctant to schedule a certain loss— which is why I want to see everybody in the playoffs every year— like this year— then all this nonsense about not being able to get games against local teams will go away–-X would need fewer regular season games, and teams would be less reluctant to play.

Regarding Brentwood TN, OHSAA has a rule about playing team in non-contiguous states at their location, it's possible but a challenge.

Walnut Hills accused X of hiding COVID positive players. Not true BTW, it was just proper CDC prevention measures of quarantining due to contact tracing for a player or two for 2 weeks. Steve was ticked, hence the quickly getting the score to 50 points before calling off the dawgs.

Regarding Brentwood TN, OHSAA has a rule about playing team in non-contiguous states at their location, it's possible but a challenge.

Walnut Hills accused X of hiding COVID positive players. Not true BTW, it was just proper CDC prevention measures of quarantining due to contact tracing for a player or two for 2 weeks. Steve was ticked, hence the quickly getting the score to 50 points before calling off the dawgs.
You'll recall that X went down there (Nashville) and played Brentwood in ~2014... even saw Jeff Ruby at the game... I remember the older Clifford getting pretty dinged up in that game...

WH did score FIRST in that playoff game...pretty bleak after that...guess that (false claims) had something to do with it...?

Cincinnati St. Xavier
08/20 H West Chester Lakota West
08/27 A Cincinnati Colerain
09/03 A Powell Olentangy Liberty
09/10 A Mishawaka Penn (IN)
09/17 A Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller
09/24 H Cincinnati Elder
10/01 H Louisville Trinity (KY)
10/08 H Cincinnati La Salle
10/15 A Cleveland St. Ignatius
10/22 N Unknown Opponent () (maybe Eagles Landing Christian out of Georgia?)

The Bombers stadium has a new name.....RDI Stadium as result of $1M endowment

Also within the above article is complete 2021 schedule adding the aforementioned Georgia team to Week 10 (October 22nd)

Eagles Landing Christian Academy (ELCA)

The Bombers stadium has a new name.....RDI Stadium as result of $1M endowment

Also within the above article is complete 2021 schedule adding the aforementioned Georgia team to Week 10 (October 22nd)

Eagles Landing Christian Academy (ELCA)

Shouldn't this have come with a press release about a big new video scoreboard?? I love the stadium and the home seating (particularly the rake and lack of a track - I don't think there is another stadium that has better sight lines than from the X home side). And I understand that cost was somewhat of a factor and size was limited by the Fire Marshall/zoning based upon parking capacity.

But I have never understood why we don't have a big video scoreboard.

And while it doesn't seem to matter any more since attendance has plummeted, I wish they would have closed in the north end with a "bowl" and bricked or otherwise covered the framework of the stands.

Shouldn't this have come with a press release about a big new video scoreboard?? I love the stadium and the home seating (particularly the rake and lack of a track - I don't think there is another stadium that has better sight lines than from the X home side). And I understand that cost was somewhat of a factor and size was limited by the Fire Marshall/zoning based upon parking capacity.

But I have never understood why we don't have a big video scoreboard.

And while it doesn't seem to matter any more since attendance has plummeted, I wish they would have closed in the north end with a "bowl" and bricked or otherwise covered the framework of the stands.
I heard through the grapevine that a donor was willing to fund a video scoreboard when they did the stadium revisions a few years back (guess more than a few at this point) but that the current President at the time vetoed it as he was concerned about looking even more elitist than St X is often accused of being. As I said I heard it through the grapevine but the source was fairly reliable.

I heard through the grapevine that a donor was willing to fund a video scoreboard when they did the stadium revisions a few years back (guess more than a few at this point) but that the current President at the time vetoed it as he was concerned about looking even more elitist than St X is often accused of being. As I said I heard it through the grapevine but the source was fairly reliable.

I've heard that too - although it was very possible it was from you and it was on here. :) Regardless, if we are willing to cough up stadium naming rights for 1,000,000 and lots of schools (including Elder) have much better video boards than we do, should be time to revisit that issue.