St.V-St.M 2022

*not related to the topic* So yesterday I actually work with a newly graduated Stvm student who gave me a lot of the inside information. the athletes did NOT like Nickol as the head Coach and the students are now optimistic that Cistone is the head Guy and they believe in his vision.

This student believes they are trying to do the same thing like they did in 1978 to try a build a roster/program up again without the rivalry to win a state championship that’s what the focus is in that building.

*not related to the topic* So yesterday I actually work with a newly graduated Stvm student who gave me a lot of the inside information. the athletes did NOT like Nickol as the head Coach and the students are now optimistic that Cistone is the head Guy and they believe in his vision.
I think you could see that in the attitude and the effort of the players last year compared to the previous years under Nickol. I thought that as a younger coach that Nickol would forge a bond with the players and develop some chemistry. Unfortunately, that did not happen and it turned out to be just a bad fit for all concerned. I'm not sure anyone is really to "blame"; sometimes things just don't work out the way you hope they would. The tough part is that there was a lot of untapped potential on some of those Irish teams under Coach Nickol and it would have been interesting to see how some of those teams might have developed under Coach Cistone and his staff. Oh well, that's all water under the bridge at this point.

Isnt Cistone the ring leader to not play Hoban? Could you be a type of player who loves the game of football and puts it all out there every game and have a coach lead you that will not play their cross town rival?

Well the root of this decision to not play hoban was based on the fact that coach winkler who is on Hoban's staff he was very disrespectful to the kids and they brought it to tyrell and he still didn't do anything about it. But the main focal point of not playing Hoban is they want to win a state championship that's the focus right now they know it can't happen over night but they are willing to step away from the rilvary to make that the main focus.

How is not playing Hoban “focusing” on winning a state title? That makes absolutely no sense; it is just a spin.

In today’s Ohio HS football landscape, in which almost everyone makes the playoffs, scheduling up does not hurt your chances! Plus, to win that title, you’re going to have to play Hoban, and Massillon, at some point. STVM has now dropped both of those teams from their schedule.

How is not playing Hoban “focusing” on winning a state title? That makes absolutely no sense; it is just a spin.

In today’s Ohio HS football landscape, in which almost everyone makes the playoffs, scheduling up does not hurt your chances! Plus, to win that title, you’re going to have to play Hoban, and Massillon, at some point. STVM has now dropped both of those teams from their schedule.
Well it worked in 1978 I know that was a different time and staff but they gotta build and start stacking wins these nexts couple of years they’re not even supposed to be in division 2 so hopefully they’ll be bumped down to 3 again.

Well it worked in 1978 I know that was a different time and staff but they gotta build and start stacking wins these nexts couple of years they’re not even supposed to be in division 2 so hopefully they’ll be bumped down to 3 again.

Plus hoban did the same thing when stvm was dominating them

That’s the thing - you really don’t have to “stack wins” anymore. Is this just a confidence boost? How does that help after week 10? STVM is not a program that is coming off a 32 game losing streak and “needs wins”. Just a bad look for a traditional power program.

That’s the thing - you really don’t have to “stack wins” anymore. Is this just a confidence boost? How does that help after week 10? STVM is not a program that is coming off a 32 game losing streak and “needs wins”. Just a bad look for a traditional power program.
But here’s my thing even though I hate to say it yes they do a lot of people don’t take stvm seriously anymore.

But here’s my thing even though I hate to say it yes they do a lot of people don’t take stvm seriously anymore.
The Irish are 28-16 in the last 5 regular seasons. That's pretty pedestrian and not a record to make anyone take you seriously. Hopefully, Cistone and staff can start fixing that.

Time to move the conversation here-

The Irish are 28-16 in the last 5 regular seasons. That's pretty pedestrian and not a record to make anyone take you seriously. Hopefully, Cistone and staff can start fixing that.

Time to move the conversation here-
Very pedestrian lol

The class of 2027 will be over 170. Enrollment is strong the school is excelling academically with top Robotics, Rocket, UN Government, Quiz Bowl teams, Theatre and marching Band programs competing nationally. STVM is the only STEM Catholic high school in Ohio. Basketball will rebound in 23/24 and Football 🏈 continues show improvement under Coach Terry Cistone. The program needs to be D3 to be a state contender. Here is hoping a new league becomes fruition. Hoban will nota be invited. Once TT departs you will see the Holy War return.

The class of 2027 will be over 170. Enrollment is strong the school is excelling academically with top Robotics, Rocket, UN Government, Quiz Bowl teams, Theatre and marching Band programs competing nationally. STVM is the only STEM Catholic high school in Ohio. Basketball will rebound in 23/24 and Football 🏈 continues show improvement under Coach Terry Cistone. The program needs to be D3 to be a state contender. Here is hoping a new league becomes fruition. Hoban will nota be invited. Once TT departs you will see the Holy War return.
That's great on the academic side and being a STEM school. I was with you all the way until your last 2 sentences where you destroy the rest of your post.

That's great on the academic side and being a STEM school. I was with you all the way until your last 2 sentences where you destroy the rest of your post.
Tyrell’s refusal to hold his strength coach accountable to his actions on and off the field is really a shame. The strength coach has crossed the lines so many times in multiple games against numerous teams. Tyrell just turns a blind eye to it. The sad thing is the Hoban faithful support and endorse the actions of the coach. What they don’t realize is the disdain for the program has nothing to do with their winning and it has everything to do with the character, integrity and behavior of their coaches. The Hoban faithful should take notes on how Ignatius and St Ed’s have run their programs through the years and the respect coaches Kyle and Lombardo have from other coaches and fans in Northeast Ohio

Tyrell’s refusal to hold his strength coach accountable to his actions on and off the field is really a shame. The strength coach has crossed the lines so many times in multiple games against numerous teams. Tyrell just turns a blind eye to it. The sad thing is the Hoban faithful support and endorse the actions of the coach. What they don’t realize is the disdain for the program has nothing to do with their winning and it has everything to do with the character, integrity and behavior of their coaches. The Hoban faithful should take notes on how Ignatius and St Ed’s have run their programs through the years and the respect coaches Kyle and Lombardo have from other coaches and fans in Northeast
Shame for opponents but the parents are quite happy with the progress. His body of work far outshines a few crass words on the field. He is directly responsible for the rise of all Hoban athletic teams and free education that these athletes enjoy. The disdain comes from being on the losing end, if the tables were turned you would be quite happy with the results. He is a professional strength coach with all of the accreditation, experience as well as being elected as regional director of the National High School Strength Coaches Association where he represents Region 7, which includes Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky. You don't get there by being a chump. So take the whining elsewhere because it looks weak, just as pulling the plug on the rivalry and blaming it it on the strength coach. As far as St Ed's and St Ignatius goes there is plenty of disdain from many NE Ohio teams who have been dominated in the playoffs for years, just ask Mentor.

Shame for opponents but the parents are quite happy with the progress. His body of work far outshines a few crass words on the field. He is directly responsible for the rise of all Hoban athletic teams and free education that these athletes enjoy. The disdain comes from being on the losing end, if the tables were turned you would be quite happy with the results. He is a professional strength coach with all of the accreditation, experience as well as being elected as regional director of the National High School Strength Coaches Association where he represents Region 7, which includes Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky. You don't get there by being a chump. So take the whining elsewhere because it looks weak, just as pulling the plug on the rivalry and blaming it it on the strength coach. As far as St Ed's and St Ignatius goes there is plenty of disdain from many NE Ohio teams who have been dominated in the playoffs for years, just ask Mentor.
You can win and have respect at the same time. That’s the disconnect. You just care about winning and think no one likes Hoban because of that. It couldn’t be farther from the truth. St Ed’s has shown you can win (3 state championships in the last 5 years) and have the respect of others at the same time. Very very few people have an issue with Coach Lombardo and/or their program.

Give me the St Ed’s program any day of the week over the Hoban program. They win with class on the field on off

Last edited:
You can win and have respect at the same time. That’s the disconnect. You just care about winning and think no one likes Hoban because of that. It couldn’t be farther from the truth. St Ed’s has shown you can win (3 state championships in the last 5 years) and have the respect of others at the same time. Very very few people have an issue with Coach Lombardo and/or their program.

Give me the St Ed’s program any day of the week over the Hoban program. They win with class on the field
I still say you would feel different if the shoe was on the other foot and you were dominating your rival. Many of the surrounding public school athletes have left their school systems for a chance to play for a title and earn a scholarship. If St Ed's was peeling off your athletes you would sing a different tune. Terrell is very respected state wide and nationally as well as with college coaches, numbers don't lie.

I still say you would feel different if the shoe was on the other foot and you were dominating your rival. Many of the surrounding public school athletes have left their school systems for a chance to play for a title and earn a scholarship. If St Ed's was peeling off your athletes you would sing a different tune. Terrell is very respected state wide and nationally as well as with college coaches, numbers don't lie.
The shoe was on the other foot. I watched St V beat Hoban for 9 straight years and win 2 state championships. Find me anyone at Hoban (you won’t) that had a bad thing to say about Dan Boarman.

Last edited:
Now that is funny. I agree with a lot of people, Winkler is an idiot, but he is good Strength coach. But to say people didn’t think Dan Boarman was an is funny. Hell not only do I know Hoban people who hate him, I know a lot of St V fans who couldn’t stand him. But he was one hell of a coach, who won a lot. People aren’t usually fans of people who consistently beat them

The shoe was on the other foot. I watched St V beat Hoban for 9 straight years and win 2 state championships. Find me anyone at Hoban (you won’t) that had a bad thing to say about Dan Boarman.
I have personally talked to coach Boarman in the past year and he had nothing but nice things to say about Hoban and the entire program. Maybe you should follow his example? Class guy.

Last edited:
I have personally talked to coach Borman in the past year and he had nothing but nice things to say about Hoban and the entire program. Maybe you should follow his example? Class guy.
You can’t even spell his name right…

I’ve had conversations with Coach as well. He is a class act

south park beat a dead horse GIF

That horse is long dead. Let's move on already.