Fri Sep 6 A Euclid
Fri Sep 13 A Erie Cathedral Prep (PA)
Sat Sep 21 H Cincinnati Elder
Sep 27 A Cincinnati Winton Woods
Sat Oct 5 H Akron Buchtel
Sat Oct 12 H Cleveland S. Ignatius
Fri Oct 18 H Football North (ON)
Sat Oct 26 H Archbishop Moeller
Fri Nov 1 H National Christian Academy (MD)

Thoughts on the defending champions?

Returning talent?

Coaching staff changes?

Last edited:

As defending Div. 1 state champion, the Eagles will have to be ranked first in any poll, on Yappi or any place else, until they suffer a defeat.

Plenty of talent returning on D to make this unit formidable and critical to the early season success of the Eagles as they identify their new playmakers on O. The O line could be very good next year...2-3 starters returning to a unit that has spelled consistent excellence for close to a decade now.

Go Eagles!

Defense brings back a number of experienced and talented players, starting up front with Pietrowski, Colangelo, and Lee. Hankins returns at LB, along with Rich Johnson who played both safety and LB. Then of course the Nash twins in the secondary.

On offense, Crowder will be back at C and Kilbane at one of the tackle positions. Formani at RB and Wainwright at WR. Conor O'Malley looks to take over as the signal caller.

The development of the offense may take some time, so hopefully an experienced defense will help bring them along. Trey Bixby is a name to keep an eye on. The talented freshman DL/OL could find himself in the mix with a good offseason.

Don't forget Chambers who was getting reps on the O line before his injury. He should help out next year also.

Wake was at the chapel at St. Edward and I understand it was quite crowded. Buried in Avon not all that far from the Duck tape factory. Very supportive of St. Edward over the years.

Always had a special place in his heart for St. Ed's. But also was a huge benefactor to John Carroll and several other causes in Northeast Ohio. Big proponent of Catholic education and the Cleveland area for sure.

That's a humorous question. Tom Lombardo could write his own ticket for HC at virtually any local NE Ohio college job that's open. If he leaves, it won't be for an OC position.

There’s only two college FBS head coaching jobs in NEO. One of them is Akron, which just hired Tom Arth as HC. Seeing that both Lombardo and Arth have deep ties with John Carroll, I would imagine they know each other pretty well. I have no clue how close the ties between those two are, but I heard rumors about an offer. :shrug:

I think one of the local stations (Fox8?) may have broadcast the Akron rumor last week. If EagleSE says it ain't happening I'm going with that

Last edited:
There’s only two college FBS head coaching jobs in NEO. One of them is Akron, which just hired Tom Arth as HC. Seeing that both Lombardo and Arth have deep ties with John Carroll, I would imagine they know each other pretty well. I have no clue how close the ties between those two are, but I heard rumors about an offer. :shrug:

Tom Arth is a great hire. Lombardo certainly knows Arth. I'm congnizant that their aren't a lot of openings for these high paying local college jobs. My comment was directed at my belief that if Lombardo leaves, he'll leave to be a HC and not a OC. That said, given Lombardo's success, I'm not surprised a lot of folks are talking about him moving up to a lot of positions.

I think one of the local stations (Fox8?) may have broadcast the Akron rumor last week. If EagleSE says it ain't happening I'm going with that
Jim Donovan mentioned it. I figured someone here might know more.

Tom Arth is a great hire. Lombardo certainly knows Arth. I'm congnizant that their aren't a lot of openings for these high paying local college jobs. My comment was directed at my belief that if Lombardo leaves, he'll leave to be a HC and not a OC. That said, given Lombardo's success, I'm not surprised a lot of folks are talking about him moving up to a lot of positions.
I'd agree with you if it was a college job outside of D-I, but I'm not sure high school head coaches making the jump straight to college head coach in the FBS is that common. I'm sure it's happened, but I don't know of any cases of it recently.
Look at Finnoti... He left Eds for Michigan as Director of Football Operations. Then he went to D-III John Carroll as Head Coach. Arth went from John Carroll to Chattanooga, which is a less prestigious program but at the FCS-level, before moving to Akron as HC. As good as Lombardo is, and as much success as he's had winning state championships with a national powerhouse in high school and building other good high school programs, I don't think the coaching ladder usually plays out where you always have opportunities to make the kind of jump like we are talking about.

Jim Donovan mentioned it. I figured someone here might know more.

I'd agree with you if it was a college job outside of D-I, but I'm not sure high school head coaches making the jump straight to college head coach in the FBS is that common. I'm sure it's happened, but I don't know of any cases of it recently.
Look at Finnoti... He left Eds for Michigan as Director of Football Operations. Then he went to D-III John Carroll as Head Coach. Arth went from John Carroll to Chattanooga, which is a less prestigious program but at the FCS-level, before moving to Akron as HC. As good as Lombardo is, and as much success as he's had winning state championships with a national powerhouse in high school and building other good high school programs, I don't think the coaching ladder usually plays out where you always have opportunities to make the kind of jump like we are talking about.

Well fellow Bobcat, I have to admit I agree with your assessment. That said, Im so old I remember when Gerry Faust went from Cincinatti Moeller to Notre Dame!

Yes, that Cincinatti Moeller and that Notre Dame! That was a meteoric rise, to say the least.

Anyway, I just think Tom has established himself as one of the premier high school coaches in NE Ohio.

As an ND guy and lover of high school football, I can say that Faust to Notre Dame was just such a perfect storm. Notre Dame really felt that they were too big to fail and the brand would win football games and convince recruits to come there no matter who was coach. It is situated in the Midwest and under Ara Parseghian and then Dan Devine, that had been wildly successful and in a very fertile recruiting ground. There were a lot more catholic high schools and a lot more highly rated players at those schools. Also, Civil Rights still being relatively knew from a policy perspective, I think Northern schools could convince many athletes from the deep South to go North for college. If I remember right, there were several big time programs that fielded all-white teams well into the 1970s in the SEC, ACC and other Southern conferences.

Faust had also built really the first modern high school football program in Ohio and we know the results of that and was from a big time Catholic high school in a football rich state where several of his former players went to Notre Dame. It was not that he was a terrible coach, but demographic changes, ineffective recruiting and maybe a lack of adapting to big time college football hampered him. He can point to some really significant wins, but ultimately he was measured by his ability to win championships and his record was mediocre.

I guess that's a really long explanation for saying that a successful high school coach probably would not automatically go to a Division I college as a head coach now. I think seeing a guy like Gus Malzahn in Arkansas and Finotti makes more sense. Go and join a program and work up. Malzahn went from high school coach to coordinator to head coach and now has been a head coach at two different universities. Finotti was the director of football operations and then moved to be the DIII head coach at his alma mater.

Happy Lombardo is at St. Ed's, I think he is a great coach that understands the tradition while also understanding the expectation to win record-wise, to win against St. Ignatius and to compete for and win state championships. He also understands the role football plays in a young man's life and the role a catholic school can play in a young man's life, which is icing on the cake.

Defense brings back a number of experienced and talented players, starting up front with Pietrowski, Colangelo, and Lee. Hankins returns at LB, along with Rich Johnson who played both safety and LB. Then of course the Nash twins in the secondary.

On offense, Crowder will be back at C and Kilbane at one of the tackle positions. Formani at RB and Wainwright at WR. Conor O'Malley looks to take over as the signal caller.

The development of the offense may take some time, so hopefully an experienced defense will help bring them along. Trey Bixby is a name to keep an eye on. The talented freshman DL/OL could find himself in the mix with a good offseason.

Great info! I wouldn't sleep on freshman QB Christian Ramos either; saw him play this fall, very talented athlete with a strong/accurate arm and could compete for time this year too. Sounds like the 2022 freshman class is very talented overall, which is exciting for Ed's fans!

Schedule guestimates:

Thu Aug 29 H Mentor
Sep 6/7: Cass Tech?
Fri Sep 13 A Erie Cathedral Prep
Sat Sep 21 H Elder
Sep 27/28 ??
Oct 4/5 ? Buchtel?
Oct 11/12 ? Indianapolis Cathedral?
Oct 18/19 ? Canada?
Sat Oct 26 H Archbishop Moeller
Sat Nov 2 H St. Ignatius

Thoughts on the defending champions?

Returning talent?

Coaching staff changes?

Im thinking we will see a powerhouse program on the schedule from a state East, PA, NJ, MD. I have also heard talks of moving the Ignatius matchup to week 5 6. Just all talks from what I underatand.

I would guess 6 7 spots on each side are locked so that leaves a lot to be earned.

This D should be lights out with 7a group back that had big impact in title run. Sophomores who are for sure to make a impact as JRs are Chris Moran OL an Thomas Aden DL.
Others to watch out for beside the 2 that played this year(Hankins an P Slattery)
Jaylen Caatleberry CB
Brendan Bellz LB
There are a few others depending on how hard they work.

Ramos has a ton of upside butI I would bet OMalley starts if off but the soon to be Soph will get a shot, hes a player.

Offensively I would expect to see a few guys that start on the D to be getting reps both ways, not the norm but im guessing 3.

This team should have a good numbers of plyers that will play D1 at some level.

I am sure the staff will have them ready.

Here's video of freshman QB Christian Ramos:

https://youtu.be/9OInhpFnkV8

Wait, were they playing football?? I couldn't get over how great Ohio City looks in this video. I know OC is happening, but that's the first time I've seen video of a football game being played on that field. I remember running track there in the 90s when it was Iggy/Wendy's/the smell of chemical piss (still not sure if was from the factories in the industrial valley or homeless dudes relieving themselves on Carroll Court).

One day my childhood stomping grounds of Bellaire-Puritas will get there as well, lol.

This D should be lights out with 7a group back that had big impact in title run. Sophomores who are for sure to make a impact as JRs are Chris Moran OL an Thomas Aden DL.
Others to watch out for beside the 2 that played this year(Hankins an P Slattery)
Jaylen Caatleberry CB
Brendan Bellz LB
There are a few others depending on how hard they work.

Sounds like Hankins and Aden were soph names that tOSU staff looked into this last week when they stopped by the school. Hankins was great down the stretch and through the playoffs last year, really looking forward to watching him over the next two years. Coach Pappas is a great DC, has a lot to work with and coming back next year.

The Castleberry family is gonna field half a team soon. Jordan graduates, but has Jaylen in the 2021 class coming up, then Joel in the 2022 and I know there is another Castleberry in that 2023 group as well (supposedly a very good RB).

Status
Not open for further replies.