Squatters

MoeDude

LIVE FREE OR DIE!
Our elected officials are morons. So why does a squatter have more property rights than a real owner of a property. These laws are ridiculous and lack common sense. It’s becoming more and
More of an issue especially with illegal aliens finding out about it.

If you own a second home/vacation home you better have someone watching over the property you have vacated for several weeks or you may return to find a squatter living there. Our lawmakers truly are morons.
IMG_1047.png

Our elected officials are morons. So why does a squatter have more property rights than a real owner of a property. These laws are ridiculous and lack common sense. It’s becoming more and
More of an issue especially with illegal aliens finding out about it.

If you own a second home/vacation home you better have someone watching over the property you have vacated for several weeks or you may return to find a squatter living there. Our lawmakers truly are morons.
View attachment 56759
California
Crumbles into the Sea
That'll be the Day I go

...and give a crap lol

California Democrats deserve this.

It’s not just California Cab. It’s happening across the nation. What I don’t understand is that most states require that you squat for many years and pay property taxes so I don’t understand why sqatting is so hard to battle

It’s not just California. What is confusing to me is if you look at the laws in the states is says you have to live in the house for 10 or more years and pay property taxes but people are still having issues evicting squatters. It’s also becoming an issue with the illegals now crossing our border

It’s not just California Cab. It’s happening across the nation. What I don’t understand is that most states require that you squat for many years and pay property taxes so I don’t understand why sqatting is so hard to battle

It should be simple with a reasonable state legislature, right ?
Thank goodness Ohio is not so stupid. Florida used to be.

It’s not just California. What is confusing to me is if you look at the laws in the states is says you have to live in the house for 10 or more years and pay property taxes but people are still having issues evicting squatters. It’s also becoming an issue with the illegals now crossing our border

Squatting laws or laws regarding adverse possession arose as a tool to ensure productive use of property. The laws very from state to state as do which side of such a dispute is favored. My wife almost lost a 70 acre farm she inherited in Kentucky. Kentucky laws are definitely pro owner, but a situation arose where a "in kind" land use lease for grazing expired but the lessee continued to use and maintain the land. The lessee died, and his estate filed for possession of the farm under adverse possession as my wife's ownership of the land was absentee. Long story short, a settlement was reached that surrendered 5 acres so as to avoid thousands of dollars in attorney fees we did not have. The moral to the story, is due diligence, and proactive ownership even if absentee.

Squatting laws or laws regarding adverse possession arose as a tool to ensure productive use of property. The laws very from state to state as do which side of such a dispute is favored. My wife almost lost a 70 acre farm she inherited in Kentucky. Kentucky laws are definitely pro owner, but a situation arose where a "in kind" land use lease for grazing expired but the lessee continued to use and maintain the land. The lessee died, and his estate filed for possession of the farm under adverse possession as my wife's ownership of the land was absentee. Long story short, a settlement was reached that surrendered 5 acres so as to avoid thousands of dollars in attorney fees we did not have. The moral to the story, is due diligence, and proactive ownership even if absentee.
Thanks for sharing. I just don’t understand how someone can squat in a house and it’s difficult to throw them out. Even in your case the lessee never owned the land outright so it’s difficult for me to understand how he can make any claim to the land.

Thanks for sharing. I just don’t understand how someone can squat in a house and it’s difficult to throw them out. Even in your case the lessee never owned the land outright so it’s difficult for me to understand how he can make any claim to the land.
In our case the lessee made improvements on the land by maintain fencing and pasture unopposed while we were absent and without qualification of a valid lease. Our situation was just a harsh lesson to learn. As to the current phenomenon of squatting, I do not think it is at a crisis level. Just part of our daily outrage. Yet it is reflective in change of attitude of being entitled to what is not yours. One last thing to consider is with identity theft and technology, it is easy to create fake title and contracts. Due diligence needs to be more thorough and ongoing when buying or owning real estate.

Long story short, a settlement was reached that surrendered 5 acres so as to avoid thousands of dollars in attorney fees we did not have. The moral to the story, is due diligence, and proactive ownership even if absentee.
I despise thieves. I think I would be honor-bound to spend every dime I have on lawyers to stop their thievery.

But easy to say when you aren't in that situation.

What did you do with the other 65 acres?

Could it be squatters' bodies just will not be found in rural America?
There is a massive swamp out on the western side of the county. There are lots of jokes about some people might find themselves at the bottom of that swamp with several cement blocks on top of them. Lol.

I heard this hilarious story where a guy couldn't get squatters out of his house, so he released 100 snakes in the house. They left.

Beyond the adverse property laws, part of this is also due to laws in some states that are very pro-tenant. These states purposely made it difficult to evict a tenant, and these are the laws that are being used by the squatters. They make up a lease and take over a house. When the homeowner calls the police, the squatters show them a lease (which I hear in at least one case was a receipt from the local fast-food restaurant).

Well, it's not the police officer's job to determine if the lease is valid or not. This is a civil dispute as far as they are concerned. They tell the homeowner that they have to argue it in front of a judge. It takes months or years and thousands of dollars in lawyers to get in front of a judge for even the most basic thing like this that should take 2 seconds.

why the media doesn't go after ALL the politicians and NEWSOME with BOTH feet... amazes me every day
The liberal news media will not criticize liberal politicians because deplorable bitter-clinger ultra-maga racist conservatives are the root of all problems.

I despise thieves. I think I would be honor-bound to spend every dime I have on lawyers to stop their thievery.

But easy to say when you aren't in that situation.

What did you do with the other 65 acres?
Sold it 6 years ago. We just did not have the physical or financial resources to continue be absentee landowners.

Sold it 6 years ago. We just did not have the physical or financial resources to continue be absentee landowners.
So, you paid property taxes all those years I presume? Carried liability insurance? Seems the largest "mistake" was not having a current lease in place. Did the other party pay "rent" regularly all those years?

The only situation I have been advised of by my attorney is where a trade of care for the property is allowed to substitute for lease payments can lead to ownership disputes. Case in point, one farm has two entrances from two different roads. There are homes all along the road frontage. The one entrance was never used, and the adjoining owners mowed the grass along our 50ft x 300ft entrance in exchange for allowing them to use the driveway as an easy access to the back of their home. This was a verbal agreement. Fast forward twenty five years and the guy dies. All his children remember is that their dad mowed and cared for that property for the last 25 plus years. What they did not realize is we had paid property taxes, removed fallen trees from the lane, and generally kept the drive in good condition spraying weeds and fixing water damaged areas.

So when they sold the property, I was surprised when the new owner parked his vehicles on my lane. Turns out he was sold the property under the understanding that was his land. In this case I had no choice but to fight the issue as I had subleased an area behind him that required the use of that drive to service a cell tower.

Fortunately, all I ended up losing was 14 feet x30ft off to one side for a parking space and all parties were satisfied. I no longer allow him to mow the grass so there is added cost of ownership.

The point is, abandoned property is not always truly abandoned , the no kind deed goes unpunished rule applies here. Leases are hugely important in this case, and verbal agreements should be a thing of the past as time swiftly changes the principles involved in such agreements.