Spring Football Prediction // ThisWeek + Snodgrass

The same reason why they couldn't play the baseball from April to May/early June when the pandemic was in its early stages. Because this contagion kills people, and it's killed plenty of people. What is so hard about everyone getting with the damn program on this?

Basically everyone realizes our country is woefully screwed with the coronavirus for the time being. Every significant public policy approach, based off the lead of public health professionals, aimed at keeping our society healthy amidst the pandemic isn't designed with "making sure high school sports are played" in mind. The commissioner of the OHSAA, who is grounded in this reality and knows to not make promises he can't keep, is doing all that he can to stay informed on this topic and keep everyone in the loop.

If we don't have football or if we have an adjusted season (this seems most likely right now, but it's still May), it wasn't for no good reason. Full stop.
Because I will spell it out in small words so you get it: IT MAKES NO SENSE TO QUARANTINE THE HEALTHY. SO QUIT DOING IT. We are losing dozens of elderly in retirement homes daily. Nothing we do on the outside prevents that. If yo don't believe me watch the model video posted on this site. The country screwed up when it didn't detect, isolate and quarantine in January. Nothing we do now has nothing but a marginal effect on the outcomes. Dang. I can't be the only one that has come to that conclusion. This is why we are on a plateau since the beginning of April.

Hate? No. I just expect accountability and results, the two things this presidency never holds itself to. He’s not a good president, brother. And he’s not rising to the moment at all— hell, he just stormed off his own press conference last night. He’s done a pretty poor job these last four months. The proof is in the pudding: “So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!” (3/9/20.) Our country is in a bad spot and is nowhere close to being back on track to recover economically. There’s not enough tests and consumer confidence is low.
He secured the borders, strengthened the military, had the economy humming, and put us in a much better position with regard to Trade.
The Proof Is In The Pudding.
BTW, Check Your Numbers You Fraud. If they are from the CDC then you have no credibility. BTW, those press conferences are jokes because, in general, the press isn't interested in gathering useful information about the Pandemic. Now go back to CNN or MSNBC.

He secured the borders, strengthened the military, had the economy humming, and put us in a much better position with regard to Trade.
The Proof Is In The Pudding.
BTW, Check Your Numbers You Fraud. If they are from the CDC then you have no credibility. BTW, those press conferences are jokes because, in general, the press isn't interested in gathering useful information about the Pandemic. Now go back to CNN or MSNBC.
And then that really good economy he inherited ended up crashing, because of him. Great job, president.

And he walked off the press conference because he choked on a question multiple reporters were asking him. Nice.

And DOCK, please don't talk about tests. We've generated millions of tests, thousands of ventilators, millions of PPE in just a few months.

If you study history and think of this like war, it took FDR months to equip this country for WWII. Fortunately he didn't have people like you questioning him after Pearl Harbor DOCK!

And Dr. please don't talk about tests. We've generated millions of tests, thousands of ventilators, millions of PPE in just a few months.
Not even close to where we need to be. Or should be, either.

Leading public health experts are testifying before Congress saying we’re not even close to the capacity of tests to be conducted weekly in order to get the economy back on track. Academics/fellows of multiple conservative publications and think tanks (e.g. American Enterprise Institute) are saying the same thing: not enough tests to get on top of the virus, much less get the economy back to normal.

We aren’t anywhere close to being “back to normal.” And we wont be until this country turns the corner on the coronavirus and gets a grip on it. All starts and ends with the president, here.

Not even close to where we need to be. Or should be, either.

Leading public health experts are testifying before Congress saying we’re not even close to the capacity of tests to be conducted weekly in order to get the economy back on track. Academics/fellows of multiple conservative publications and think tanks (e.g. American Enterprise Institute) are saying the same thing: not enough tests to get on top of the virus, much less get the economy back to normal.

We aren’t anywhere close to being “back to normal.” And we wont be until this country turns the corner on the coronavirus and gets a grip on it. All starts and ends with the president, here.
Hey DOCK,
Since you're the expert where should we be. How many in two months should we have generated? And Dock, I see the usefulness of antibody tests.
However, give me your explanation on the long term usefulness of a test that says whether you have it or not.
You are no better than those people with an agenda on most mainstream media platforms.

Georgia high school football starting back up July 6.

What a bozo. This is the beginning of the article, read it;

“To be clear, the GHSA has not made any reopening plan official yet; and could opt for a different plan should conditions merit. “

Hey DOCK,
Since you're the expert where should we be. How many in two months should we have generated? And Dock, I see the usefulness of antibody tests.
However, give me your explanation on the long term usefulness of a test that says whether you have it or not.
You are no better than those people with an agenda on most mainstream media platforms.
Here's testimony before Congress last week from Dr. Caitlin Rivers, MPH, Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security (and frequent contributor to the AEI as mentioned earlier)
"The first critical capacity is diagnostic testing. We need, at minimum, enough capacity to test everyone with COVID-like symptoms and have results with 24 hours. We should also be able to regularly test critical workers, like those in healthcare, long term care, correctional facilities, and first responders. Last week we performed around 1.6 million tests nationwide, an enormous improvement over the one million tests per week in early April. Estimates for the number of tests we need range from 3.5 million to tens of millions per week. While testing on the upper end of the range may not be logistically feasible any time soon, even increasing our testing capacity to 3-4 million tests per week would be enormously helpful to enable case-based interventions like contact tracing. We urgently need a national plan to close that gap. Scaling to the first one million tests per week, though hard-fought, was largely about bringing to bear existing resources. Getting to triple that, or ten times that, will require national level strategic planning and innovation."

On the topic of current PPE production, and the wider band of infrastructure development to tackle COVID-19 and get the economy back in gear...
We should start by understanding, from start to finish, what resources and components are involved in the testing pipeline. Swabs, reagents, test
kits, PPE, have all intermittently been implicated in shortages.
Next national leaders should map out, in great detail, the current and expected capacities for each of these elements. What national capacities can we expect at the end of May, and June, and August? Where are the bottlenecks? What untapped resources could we draw from? How will we get from where we are to where we want to be? If this work has been done, I have not seen it, and I fear that neither have the governors and other state and local leaders who are having to make decisions about how and when to reopen. They need to know whether and when significantly more tests may be reliably available to states. Businesses need to understand whether proposed plans to test workers regularly, for example, are even possible, or whether that capability is simply not coming.

Johns Hopkins' Center for Health Security has established a set of four criteria they suggest states to follow when deciding to re-open the economy safely. At current, no state fits the set of criteria. You can find it here: https://www.businessinsider.com/no-states-meet-criteria-to-reopen-johns-hopkins-researcher-2020-5

Here is the latest from Jerry Snodgrass- May 11th. I think we have football this fall, it could be cut short , but we will at least have it.

How much time do you anticipate athletes needing to be properly trained for the season, especially with there being no structured workouts?

The timetable is not etched in stone. From June 1 to Aug. 1 is a period of time that we don't really determine what kids do if school is out. We're school-based in sports, but in reality, July is very critical for preseason training for all fall sports, so if July is available, then that's a good sign for reopening fall sports. If July is not available, or even parts of it, we are talking seriously about how do we adjust time to make sure kids in August are properly trained. Every day they lose in July is critical to the start of the seasons in August."

Rumors are circulating that the fall and spring sports seasons could be switched. Is there any validity to that? Would it be possible?

"There are so many challenges with doing that. Exclusively in Ohio, we have schools that are in leagues with other states and if they would change, that would be problematic. For every problem, there's a solution, but there are a magnitude of problems in the short term to do that. We have so many multiple-sport athletes. There are just so many significant issues in doing that. Our spring sports have already lost the 2020 season. If we would right now move spring sports to the fall or selected ones and we have any kind of a secondary outbreak, we would end up canceling spring sports again. These are what-ifs, these are the unknowns that I wish we had better answers to, but they have to be considered when you're making a drastic decision. When we get to August, if things are shut down, then everything is on the table."

Here is the latest from Jerry Snodgrass- May 11th. I think we have football this fall, it could be cut short , but we will at least have it.

How much time do you anticipate athletes needing to be properly trained for the season, especially with there being no structured workouts?

The timetable is not etched in stone. From June 1 to Aug. 1 is a period of time that we don't really determine what kids do if school is out. We're school-based in sports, but in reality, July is very critical for preseason training for all fall sports, so if July is available, then that's a good sign for reopening fall sports. If July is not available, or even parts of it, we are talking seriously about how do we adjust time to make sure kids in August are properly trained. Every day they lose in July is critical to the start of the seasons in August."

Rumors are circulating that the fall and spring sports seasons could be switched. Is there any validity to that? Would it be possible?

"There are so many challenges with doing that. Exclusively in Ohio, we have schools that are in leagues with other states and if they would change, that would be problematic. For every problem, there's a solution, but there are a magnitude of problems in the short term to do that. We have so many multiple-sport athletes. There are just so many significant issues in doing that. Our spring sports have already lost the 2020 season. If we would right now move spring sports to the fall or selected ones and we have any kind of a secondary outbreak, we would end up canceling spring sports again. These are what-ifs, these are the unknowns that I wish we had better answers to, but they have to be considered when you're making a drastic decision. When we get to August, if things are shut down, then everything is on the table."

I might take my prediction back. Football has zero chance now that colleges are shutting down in the fall. The California story is HUGE. That will likely dictate the end of the college football season for so many reasons.

I might take my prediction back. Football has zero chance now that colleges are shutting down in the fall. The California story is HUGE. That will likely dictate the end of the college football season for so many reasons.
This really is a bit of a leap to make in May, but yes as many have said the institution of college football will be put to the challenge hard in 2020. And we're seeing some warning signs already.

This really is a bit of a leap to make in May, but yes as many have said the institution of college football will be put to the challenge hard in 2020. And we're seeing some warning signs already.

Other schools will follow, dramatically. I don't want to start a political debate, but I assume Dem leaning state's universities will follow, they'll stick together. So as a quick example;

A. It is well known University President's have said no kids on campus, no sports, period.

B. Oregon will follow in the next few days. Immediately that is going to mean no Oregon vs. Ohio State. That alone, even in conversation will blow everything into orbit..in my opinion.

C. Pac-12 may as well kiss their season goodbye by the end of the week unless USC, a private school declares they are going independent.

This really is biggest football news when you think about it.

Finally people may be coming around. It's a shame what we are living through, but eyes are opening. My post #54 on here will stir up people for sure. The writing has been on the wall for quite awhile now. I just wish people would follow the guidelines given. But people are so selfish.

Finally people may be coming around. It's a shame what we are living through, but eyes are opening. My post #54 on here will stir up people for sure. The writing has been on the wall for quite awhile now. I just wish people would follow the guidelines given. But people are so selfish.

Not disagreeing with you. I assume public schools will follow suite as well in order to prepare all summer to give an adequate education to students online. It's all fascinating, terrible, at same time.

There is no question something or some data was passed on to higher up's either as late as today or over the weekend. Essentially, all of football is supposed to start together at the same time, Pac-12 has directed this.

We can debate HS football, but what this reads to me is college football won't be playing this Fall, if they aren't HS is extremely doubtful in most states, especially ours.

Not disagreeing with you. I assume public schools will follow suite as well in order to prepare all summer to give an adequate education to students online. It's all fascinating, terrible, at same time.
I am in the education field. Admin is and has been preparing for sure. And yes, education at home is not the same. We all miss being with our students. The interactions, the laughs and fun times, the growth academically and socially from August til June that we see is amazing. This PANDEMIC really sucks! And yes, this is a pandemic. But yet people still think it's a hoax. WOW!

I am in the education field. Admin is and has been preparing for sure. And yes, education at home is not the same. We all miss being with our students. The interactions, the laughs and fun times, the growth academically and socially from August til June that we see is amazing. This PANDEMIC really sucks! And yes, this is a pandemic. But yet people still think it's a hoax. WOW!

As am I, on the field and in the classroom. Most schools have three options, I'm sure you are familiar with them, and Option 3 appears to be more and more the true reality.

Other schools will follow, dramatically. I don't want to start a political debate, but I assume Dem leaning state's universities will follow, they'll stick together. So as a quick example;

A. It is well known University President's have said no kids on campus, no sports, period.

B. Oregon will follow in the next few days. Immediately that is going to mean no Oregon vs. Ohio State. That alone, even in conversation will blow everything into orbit..in my opinion.

C. Pac-12 may as well kiss their season goodbye by the end of the week unless USC, a private school declares they are going independent.

This really is biggest football news when you think about it.
On the topic of A)...

The only impact I can think of to major college football east of the Mississippi River would be if Illinois governor JB Pritzker puts the nix on attendance of public sporting events. What might happen instead is UIUC and Northwestern instead indicate to the B1G that they will not be holding on-campus classes this fall (this seems likely.) Same deal for Rutgers and maybe Maryland. Boston College might play it by ear. There’s also... just... whatever is happening with the state of Florida.

As am I, on the field and in the classroom. Most schools have three options, I'm sure you are familiar with them, and Option 3 appears to be more and more the true reality.
I would agree. And the length of it is unknown. But probably very lengthy. Also the smart thing is always being proactive versus reactive. That theory is common sense, smart, and a proven fact about everything.

Last edited: