Southern/South Central Ohio league alignment

ghsknightsfan

love the Knights and Grey Ghosts!
why did the SCOL (south central ohio league) break up? that seemed like a pretty solid league all around. between the leagues in this area of the state as well as brown/highland/adams counties, i could see more shifting happening.

i had an idea that had something to do with it... but the SBAAC seems like an even worse solution to competition. the two should really consider the SWBL

The SWBL would make more sense for them.

The SCOL basically kicked out the Clinton county schools (Massie, Wilmington and East Clinton) and rebranded as the FAC with Jackson as their sixth school.

From a competition standpoint the SCOL should probably still exist as an 8 school league with Massie, Wilmington, Miami Trace, Washington Court House, London, Hillsboro, McClain and Chillicothe, with Chillicothe and Wilmington being recent replacements for Madison-Plains and East Clinton downsizing to smaller leagues. Perhaps you throw Circleville and Logan Elm in there as well.

Last edited:
It's never going to happen because a few of the current FAC schools want no part of Massie in football, but I'd bring back the SCOL in a divisional format.

West: Massie, Wilmington, WCH, Miami Trace, Hillsboro and McClain

East: Circleville, Logan Elm, Teays Valley, Chillicothe, Unioto and Jackson

It's never going to happen because a few of the current FAC schools want no part of Massie in football, but I'd bring back the SCOL in a divisional format.

West: Massie, Wilmington, WCH, Miami Trace, Hillsboro and McClain

East: Circleville, Logan Elm, Teays Valley, Chillicothe, Unioto and Jackson
this almost makes too much sense. and that’s why it won’t happen. jackson makes the least sense in the conference- i like everything else. jackson fits competitively but distance wise? they’re 1.5 hours plus from massie, and wilmington.

this almost makes too much sense. and that’s why it won’t happen. jackson makes the least sense in the conference- i like everything else. jackson fits competitively but distance wise? they’re 1.5 hours plus from massie, and wilmington.

There is no great fit from what I'm seeing as far as a 12th member. London would actually be pretty far out on an island in that slot as well, as the only schools that are relatively close to London are Miami Trace and Washington Court House. CBC geography with the Clark/Champaign county teams is far better for them than geography with similar schools to their south and east.

Waverly would be a slightly better geographic fit in that East division than Jackson or London, but competitively probably a lesser option than both.

Waverly makes more sense. especially with the Chillicothe schools. in my opinion i would love to see the CBC/OHC schedule more schools from the Chillicothe/Courthouse area.

I think Miami Trace and Court House make a lot of sense for the Clark county schools and Greeneview for non-conference scheduling. It's a massive haul to go any further than those two though lol. Heck, even from London it's over an hour drive to get to Chillicothe and nearly an hour to get to Circleville.

Unless you're geographically in position to use 35 or 71 it's all state highways zig zagging through small towns and one stop light communities.

if you’re in clark county you can just take 41 or 72 to 35 and it’s easy. heck greeneview is a very short drive from both, why don’t they schedule WCH or MT? WJ would also be a good matchup with the two

Greeneview sees both pretty frequently in basketball non-conference action, and I imagine in quite a few other sports as well. In football those two seem to often be loaded up with non-league games against those other schools mentioned above that they should probably be in a bigger 8/10/12 team league with.

I don’t know, but the league teams Jackson played this year ( actually their entire schedule) was just horrendous. It’s why they are getting stomped come playoff time.

I don’t know, but the league teams Jackson played this year ( actually their entire schedule) was just horrendous. It’s why they are getting stomped come playoff time.
i feel like Jackson should get something going with Waverly and Athens

Greeneview sees both pretty frequently in basketball non-conference action, and I imagine in quite a few other sports as well. In football those two seem to often be loaded up with non-league games against those other schools mentioned above that they should probably be in a bigger 8/10/12 team league with.
Greeneview/Miami Trace week 1 would be a heck of a matchup and rivalry i would think. maybe even greeneview/WCH. i would like to see the OHC south teams schedule east clinton as well

This actually proves the point of why those schools booted Massie to the curb. Jackson had four non-league games that were more competitive than their closest league game, a 27 point rout of WCH.

Greeneview/Miami Trace week 1 would be a heck of a matchup and rivalry i would think. maybe even greeneview/WCH. i would like to see the OHC south teams schedule east clinton as well

I think East Clinton and Miami Trace are the two schools they should ideally be playing non-league as far as geography, demographics, rivalry potential, gates, etc. In recent years I don't think either would have been very helpful at preparing for the better league teams or building up Harbins for the playoffs though.

I think East Clinton and Miami Trace are the two schools they should ideally be playing non-league as far as geography, demographics, rivalry potential, gates, etc. In recent years I don't think either would have been very helpful at preparing for the better league teams or building up Harbins for the playoffs though.
east clinton, probably not. but miami trace has been in the playoffs this decade. east clinton was at least decent this year, so they’re improving. waynesville is a good game for them as well. games i would also like to see are greeneview vs shawnee and wilmington

east clinton, probably not. but miami trace has been in the playoffs this decade. east clinton was at least decent this year, so they’re improving. waynesville is a good game for them as well. games i would also like to see are greeneview vs shawnee and wilmington

Harbins may be decent some years, but the quality of football in the leagues those schools are in is generally pretty poor. Shawnee would be a better game as far as quality. This year IMO a 5-5 Miami Trace team probably would have lost to half the OHC, and a 7-3 WCH would have gotten lost to half or so of the CBC. All of the CBC KT schools should be trying to schedule WCH as they seem to be a nice Harbin cow most years. Swap them out for Tecumseh and I think they easily would have finished in last in that division this year.

Harbins may be decent some years, but the quality of football in the leagues those schools are in is generally pretty poor. Shawnee would be a better game as far as quality. This year IMO a 5-5 Miami Trace team probably would have lost to half the OHC, and a 7-3 WCH would have gotten lost to half or so of the CBC. All of the CBC KT schools should be trying to schedule WCH as they seem to be a nice Harbin cow most years. Swap them out for Tecumseh and I think they easily would have finished in last in that division this year.
you’re probably right. Trace probably loses to the 4 big ones in the north as well as greenon and maybe greeneview. WCH was a poor 7-3. i hate to say it but outside a few teams (wheelersburg and ironton and maybe some more), the quality of football in south/southeast ohio is pretty poor compared to the SW or NE part of the state. Greenon had a jamboree vs Portsmouth West (a playoff team the year before) and in the varsity portion (1.5 quarters) stomped them 31-0

Waverly makes more sense. especially with the Chillicothe schools. in my opinion i would love to see the CBC/OHC schedule more schools from the Chillicothe/Courthouse area.
If most Greenon folks carry the opinion of the "dirty Burg" that I've seen you express, I would love to see the reaction after playing a few games in Ross county.
I've enjoyed them others may not.......

If most Greenon folks carry the opinion of the "dirty Burg" that I've seen you express, I would love to see the reaction after playing a few games in Ross county.
I've enjoyed them others may not.......
Amen. I'm from Greenfield and Adena has always been dirty.

The SCOL needed to expand by one or two schools to stay viable. The Clinton County schools were dead set against it unless it was in the direction of the Cincinnati/Dayton area, When Jackson and another SE district school expressed interest, Contingent Clinton blocked it, matters came to a head, and the others left to form the FAC.

To be honest, if any changes take place, the current turmoil in the Mid State League might produce a situation in which MT and WCH move to the larger school MSL Division with the south-of-Columbus larger schools - perhaps with Chillicothe as well.

Fayette County has multiple options, while Highland County has the SBL as an out, which, I think, is what Hillsboro really wants to see happen (not so much McClain). Chillicothe is in a more difficult position - perhaps the MSL, unless something totally unexpected happens in the Deep South(east).

Unfortunately, Jackson would be left to twist in the wind - again, sadly. They certainly don't deserve it.

Not saying I'd like to see it happen - the current FAC seems to be a good fit for everyone except perhaps Hillsboro.

I could see Miami Trace, WCH, Circleville, Logan Elm, and Chillicothe working to form a "new" SCOL with a couple other schools in the area. Appropriate competition for the most part and better travel (especially for the FAC teams).

BS. That was never the case. Wilmington basketball beating everyone by as many as they want and CM football winning the league every year. That was the reason for the dissolving of the league.