Southeast District school Adena has to forfeit sectional game.

bsee54321

Adena HS having one of their better seasons in awhile at 14-9 has had to forfeit there sectional basketball game for playing 23 regular season games. Not sure how this happens but it a sad thing for their seniors. Adena was scheduled to play league foe Westfall in the sectional 1st round game but has had to forfeit their game with Westfall and end their season.

That is a shame but totally preventable. Anyone know the story?
Sounds like Ohsaa is counting the New Hope game as real. It was supposed to be a mid season scrimmage but Ohsaa said they kept score and charged admission so it counts. It was at New Hope

Sounds like Ohsaa is counting the New Hope game as real. It was supposed to be a mid season scrimmage but Ohsaa said they kept score and charged admission so it counts. It was at New Hope

Adena counted it as well. They included it as a win on their record for seed voting. You don’t do that for scrimmages. Word is Adena thought only games against OHSAA members counted towards the 22 total, which is silly.

Adena counted it as well. They included it as a win on their record for seed voting. You don’t do that for scrimmages. Word is Adena thought only games against OHSAA members counted towards the 22 total, which is silly.
Yeah pretty dumb

In football it kind of does work that way. If you play a non OHSAA team such as a club team you count the game against your 10 BUT YOU DO NOT COUNT THE GAME IN YOUR COMPUTER POINTS. I could see how an AD could get confused with that scenerio. AD will likely need to offer apology for this one.

It would also be concievable that the home team collected money unknown to Adena? I recall about eight years ago two schools did something very similar back when it was a 20 game season. The mistake was caught very shortly after the game by the home team and informed the OHSAA school of their mistake by collecting money at the gate. The remedy was for the gate receipts to be given to a charity and that made the gate receipts a charitable contribution rather than an entrance fee. The boosters paid the officials and OHSAA gave their approval.

Last edited:
In football it kind of does work that way. If you play a non OHSAA team such as a club team you count the game against your 10 BUT YOU DO NOT COUNT THE GAME IN YOUR COMPUTER POINTS. I could see how an AD could get confused with that scenerio. AD will likely need to offer apology for this one.

It would also be concievable that the home team collected money unknown to Adena? I recall about eight years ago two schools did something very similar back when it was a 20 game season. The mistake was caught very shortly after the game by the home team and informed the OHSAA school of their mistake by collecting money at the gate. The remedy was for the gate receipts to be given to a charity and that made the gate receipts a charitable contribution rather than an entrance fee. The boosters paid the officials and OHSAA gave their approval.

If Adena hadn't counted it as a win on their record for seed voting, I could see that being possible. Counting it as a win in their record really shows they thought of it as a game.

I never understood the logic of giving kids the death penalty over an administration mistake. Just suspend the coach

I agree with why do the kids have to suffer from an adults (mistake?)...I kinda fault the AD more so than the coach though...he/she is paid to know the rules and does the scheduling, they dropped the ball, not the coach (who probably thought, heck, I've not maxed out on scrimmages this year and the team needs some work mid season?) But as someone else said, all administrative parties considered it a "game" up to and including it on their resume, that's where I now think Raider, that the coach is at fault as well.

Still confused

Let me ask it this way, if team B does not play team A
and team A takes the game as a WIN by the score 1-0

So know team A has their final game against team C

The game between the 2 would be the 23 game of the year counting the 1-0 win over team B

Is this legal, under OHSAA bylaws ?

Still confused

Let me ask it this way, if team B does not play team A
and team A takes the game as a WIN by the score 1-0

So know team A has their final game against team C

The game between the 2 would be the 23 game of the year counting the 1-0 win over team B

Is this legal, under OHSAA bylaws ?

Depends. Did the game between team A and team B ever tip off? If not, and team B just didn't show or something, then the OHSAA would view it as a "no contest," and it should not be counted as a win for team A since the game never started. Thus, team A would still have room to play that game against team C as its 22nd game. The number of games that were actually played is what matters here.

From page 20 of the OHSAA Basketball Manual:
Interrupted Game/Scheduled Game Not Started Any game interrupted for any reason, shall be resumed from the point of interruption. Any scheduled regular season game which is not started due to unforeseen circumstances including but not limited to failure of a team to arrive is considered a “NO CONTEST”. Games not played are not included in won-lost statistics.

Last edited:
Really though, who in their right mind turns in a 14-9 (23 game resume), to the district voters???
Exactly. That's why I put this squarely on the AD. That should be in the AD's wheelhouse! The coach may have had confidence in the AD and thought they knew best. Someone however, should have questioned a 14-9 record being turned in for tournament draw.

Exactly. That's why I put this squarely on the AD. That should be in the AD's wheelhouse! The coach may have had confidence in the AD and thought they knew best. Someone however, should have questioned a 14-9 record being turned in for tournament draw.

How often does the entire season get played by draw time? No one will think twice about 12-8 or 11-9 being turned in.