Solon/Euclid week 8 will not be played.

This hurts Solon more than Euclid. With a victory, Solon could have moved into playoff contention. However, the Euclid seniors will not have a Senior Night, as their last two games ( Cle. Hts. and Mentor) are on the road, so that is very unfortunate. In all, they probably should have accepted the Solon offer.
Totally agree. Seemed like they definitely didnt have the kids in mind. I dont know all the particulars in the decision, but from the outside it seemed like a pretty good alternative. Maybe Euclid felt offended and just said screw Solon. Who knows.

Totally agree. Seemed like they definitely didnt have the kids in mind. I dont know all the particulars in the decision, but from the outside it seemed like a pretty good alternative. Maybe Euclid felt offended and just said screw Solon. Who knows.
On the other hand, maybe Euclid wanted their seniors to be honored in front of the home crowd, families and friends, and didn't think people would travel to Solon. Either way, the seniors lost ( their night and an opportunity to play), and that's the biggest shame.

This hurts Solon more than Euclid. With a victory, Solon could have moved into playoff contention. However, the Euclid seniors will not have a Senior Night, as their last two games ( Cle. Hts. and Mentor) are on the road, so that is very unfortunate. In all, they probably should have accepted the Solon offer.
You'd think they would have, since the parents could have shared that night with their sons, and wouldn't have to worry about the undesirables themselves.

The best thing about playing River Rouge (2-4) is that there will be no fans coming from Michigan, so security will be concentrated on Euclid fans and those outside the stadium.

The best thing about playing River Rouge (2-4) is that there will be no fans coming from Michigan, so security will be concentrated on Euclid fans and those outside the stadium.
To be fair, it's not clear that the fans coming from Solon represented a heightened risk of misbehavior.

To be fair, it's not clear that the fans coming from Solon represented a heightened risk of misbehavior.
No one is intimating that. My point is that the safety of visiting fans will be more guaranteed if there are fewer. Not that they would start any problems, but that the situation, mostly from agitators looking for trouble outside the stadium , would be easier for Euclid forces to control than if there were a lot of fans. Solon people are terrific and wouldn't be a part of this nonsense and possible criminal activity. So, with River Rouge coming from far away, the crowd will be significantly smaller than it would be with a team such as Solon, which would bring fans, cheerleaders, and the band in addition to the team.

Sounds like River Rouge bailed on Euclid per word from Tony Fisher to Matt Goul and John Kampf.
Maybe they started looking into the situation at Euclid, assuming they have decided not to come, and decided thanx but no thanx. Like another poster said, you KNOW it's bad when a team bordering right on Detroit won't come. :(

Maybe they started looking into the situation at Euclid, assuming they have decided not to come, and decided thanx but no thanx. Like another poster said, you KNOW it's bad when a team bordering right on Detroit won't come. :(
If the team from Detroit comes and nothing happens, then what?

I'll say this as somebody who has never lived in Euclid, but has been to either the MS or HS at least a dozen times for sporting events (mostly basketball) in the last 5-6 years, I've never personally had an issue in Euclid.

I can't imagine the issues that are "causing" schools not to go to Euclid are new within the past two weeks either. In fact, I saw an article on cleveland.com a week or so ago that said homicides in Euclid were way down (think it was 15 in 2022 and 4 at the point of the article in 2023). Granted, homicides don't tell the whole story, but every GCC team still went out to Euclid and played their schedule road games in every sport in 2022. Yet, it's suddenly been just the past two weeks that is an issue? BTW, a friend of mine from Brunswick was just out there at Euclid MS two weeks ago for a volleyball game. I'll report back that he's alive and nothing happened.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that Euclid never should have gotten into the GCC. If you want to pull back the archives I remember being really clear back in 2015 saying that Cleveland Heights should have been the choice ... better school, better community. At the same time, I think it's BS that GCC schools (yes, Solon is still GCC for football) are now like "we can't go out there" because of "safety."

Personally, if the GCC "suburban schools" ... Strongsville, Brunswick, Medina and Mentor ... now want Euclid out, don't beat around the bush about "safety" and just kick Euclid out of the league for basically being uncompetitive in just about every sport. Until then, play the scheduled games unless there is a legit threat. Maybe that was the case with Brunswick since Euclid did move that game, but doesn't seem like it in this case. ... More like Solon sucks and Euclid sucks, let's (Solon) not bother even going out there, we're gone after this football season anyway.

If the team from Detroit comes and nothing happens, then what?

I'll say this as somebody who has never lived in Euclid but has been to either the MS or HS at least a dozen times for sporting events (mostly basketball) in the last 5-6 years, I've never personally had an issue in Euclid.

I can't imagine the issues that are "causing" schools not to go to Euclid are new within the past two weeks either. In fact, I saw an article on cleveland.com a week or so ago that said homicides in Euclid were way down (think it was 15 in 2022 and 4 at the point of the article in 2023). Granted, homicides don't tell the whole story, but every GCC team still went out to Euclid and played their schedule road games in every sport in 2022. Yet, it's suddenly been just the past two weeks that is an issue. BTW, a friend of mine from Brunswick was just out there at Euclid MS two weeks ago for a volleyball game. I'll report back that he's alive and nothing happened.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that Euclid never should have gotten into the GCC. If you want to pull back the archives, I remember being really clear back in 2015 saying that Cleveland Heights should have been the choice ... better school, better community. At the same time, I think it's BS that GCC schools (yes, Solon is still GCC for football) are now like "we can't go out there" because of "safety."

Personally, if the GCC "suburban schools" ... Strongsville, Brunswick, Medina and Mentor ... now want Euclid out, don't beat around the bush about "safety" and just kick Euclid out of the league for basically being uncompetitive in just about every sport. Until then, play the scheduled games unless there is a legit threat. Maybe that was the case with Brunswick since Euclid did move that game but doesn't seem like it in this case. ... More like Solon sucks and Euclid sucks, let's (Solon) not bother even going out there, we're gone after this football season anyway.
All I will say is that I have posted, somewhere on this thread I believe, that Euclid should return to the LEL. It seems like these days they are a better fit for that league in terms of competition and being an inner-ring old line suburb. It's really sad because we used to be competitive at everything, strong in many things, particularly Baseball, Basketball and Indoor Track. Plus, the Tom Banc football era. But that's all in the distant past, and what I am divining from reading Yappi now is they can't punch their (supposed) weight in the GCC in most to all sports. Maybe Tony Fisher will reevaluate Euclid's position in the GCC. Or as you suggest maybe the GCC will figure out a way to gracefully separate itself from Euclid. (When we 1st joined the GCC back in the 70's, the East Side schools wanted Berea and Midpark out. So 6 of them withdrew from the GCC, added Euclid and Brush, and formed the Eastern GCC lol. The "East" part disappeared overnight.) This whole thing re: the crime, disturbances, violence, etc. and teams not wanting to come to Euclid to play a game makes me sick.

I'm amazed that EHS hasn't dropped to D II. The city population and the school enrollment keeps dropping. But maybe a lot of other Ohio communities and schools are keeping pace with their own drops. When I attended, I thought I once heard that EHS was the 3rd largest school in Ohio, with Mentor being the largest. I know that neither of those is true now, if they even were then. With 4 grades attending rather than 3 when I went there, the school is still way smaller than my enrollment was. By a considerable margin.

I'm sure these crime/disturbance issues are way older than just 2 weeks. I suspect they just came to a head of late.

EDIT: Re: River Rouge coming down, playing a peaceful game w/o incident and going home. That would be a very good and welcome thing. I don't think it means all of Euclid's problems are solved or that other schools don't/won't still have legitimate concerns. Should we win, IDK but I would doubt there are any Harbins coming our way. Someone said the rule about scheduling late season open dates or trading out opponents late season has been abolished, but we don't need the points. Besides teams should not be able to "go fishing" for Harbin Cows anyway. River Rouge is only 2-4 and at 16 teams per Region everyone breathing gets in. Harbins don't matter much anymore anyway. Last thing we need to do is get a gift playoff spot then go to Canton or Byers Field and get blasted. I am hoping they don't make the playoffs this year, and that Tony Fisher does a complete overhaul of the program, including a wide new football coaching search, and a return to the Lake Erie League.

Last edited:
River Rouge is playing the game, as the Superintendent said that both communities are similar, so they have no fear.

I can't see why they just can't get a heavier police presence there for a couple of hours. Ask some neighboring areas for a cruiser, county sheriff etc. You shouldn't have to be scared to come to play a football game. I get Solon's point of view, but why penalize the Euclid kids for the nonsense that goes on around the facility. Also, why not just let parents with kids on both teams in? They limited it to that during Covid. I just hate seeing kids penalized for stuff they can't control.
Some coverage on the news this morning. Euclid police chief mentioned the biggest issue was the kids that don't even go into the stadium, they converge in the parking lots and areas outside the stadium and can number in the hundreds. It's not just the kids from the city but also outside the city that meet there to street beef disputes created on social media or other means. Like any high school stadium, the surrounding area is a lot of real estate to try to cover. Another challenge specific to Euclid is the very large park area next to the stadium that would literally take a militia to secure.

The Chief's comments provide more clarity about the danger to people simply trying to get to their cars to go home after the game. While the coverage in the media is a good thing (imagine a family naive to these issues getting stuck in the middle of a battlefield) I think the coffin is nailed shut on Euclid sports. I'm not gloating, this is truly sad.

Some coverage on the news this morning. Euclid police chief mentioned the biggest issue was the kids that don't even go into the stadium, they converge in the parking lots and areas outside the stadium and can number in the hundreds. It's not just the kids from the city but also outside the city that meet there to street beef disputes created on social media or other means. Like any high school stadium, the surrounding area is a lot of real estate to try to cover. Another challenge specific to Euclid is the very large park area next to the stadium that would literally take a militia to secure.

The Chief's comments provide more clarity about the danger to people simply trying to get to their cars to go home after the game. While the coverage in the media is a good thing (imagine a family naive to these issues getting stuck in the middle of a battlefield) I think the coffin is nailed shut on Euclid sports. I'm not gloating, this is truly sad.
Then start booting all.of the people who arent going to the game. They are trespassing at that point then. Start arresting people there to cause issues. This is why their mall got shut down in the past. Letting the gang bangers do whatever they want. It's long past due to kick this trash out of events which they are disrupting

Would the OHSAA dare stage playoff games there?
Yes they did last year,I went to one and they had metal detectors first time is 40 years of going to high school games I had that happen.nice facility,but why have games there and put up with the animals

The fans can stay home if they are uncomfortable. No reason to not play the game.

Yes they did last year,I went to one and they had metal detectors first time is 40 years of going to high school games I had that happen.nice facility,but why have games there and put up with the animals
Mentor and St. Eds played at Euclid on November 14th, 2022. As players and fans were leaving the field gunshots erupted. Police rushed the players onto their busses and told parents to get to their cars, alarmig to players and parents. Turns out the shots were a block or so away. But, indicative of what happens there and why these games are now risky.

Dey DEFUNDED dawg.

Then start booting all.of the people who arent going to the game. They are trespassing at that point then. Start arresting people there to cause issues. This is why their mall got shut down in the past. Letting the gang bangers do whatever they want. It's long past due to kick this trash out of events which they are disrupting
I agree with you. The issue is finding the police manpower to cover the inside of the stadium, the parking lots, the surrounding side streets plus the park. It's a pretty large footprint of real estate. Euclid has 85 police officers on the payroll (per their website) and if you split that into shifts, there are probably 20-25 on duty for any given shift. I think they would have to bring all 85 in so they have 50 or 60 dedictated to the game and still have enough police on duty to manage the rest of the city. Since that is obviously a ridiculously burdensome suggestion as far as the impact on the EPD is concerned, the other option is to ask neighboring cities to provide support but there is still the cost issue to pay the OT. If I'm the mayor of Wickliffe or Willoughby (pick a neighboring city) I think I'm telling Euclid I'm not sending my team into this mess, do the smart thing and just cancel your sports, or play with no spectators during daylight hours, until you figure out how to get your arms around this.