Should the AAC and MWC merge?

Basically, with the exception of the ranked teams bit, all you've done here is offer criticism of the premise. You've poked holes in absolutely nothing.

Making this an OOC series or "challenge" sort of thing, instead of an outright merger, doesn't work for two primary reasons:
1. Some AAC teams would be in the Western division along with BYU; only a few MWC teams are actually involved here.
2. May guaranteeing this games as conference, it opens the door for other OOC games against P5 teams, thereby offering a platform to each program to create a better SOS.

adselder09

Basically, with the exception of the ranked teams bit, all you've done here is offer criticism of the premise. You've poked holes in absolutely nothing.
:laugh: No need to get so upset that someone disagrees with you Max. By posting about said topic am I not engaging in it? Seems to me that would be the same thing. :shrug:

Making this an OOC series or "challenge" sort of thing, instead of an outright merger, doesn't work for two primary reasons:
1. Some AAC teams would be in the Western division along with BYU; only a few MWC teams are actually involved here.
2. May guaranteeing this games as conference, it opens the door for other OOC games against P5 teams, thereby offering a platform to each program to create a better SOS.
1. BYU used to be a member of the MWC, I doubt they would join this conference. As for Houston and Tulsa being included in the West, that falls into your hypothetical conference. As is, each conference has 16 members so crossover games in a challenge type event, could be done quite easily.
2. Playing the crossover game each year guarantees having another game on the schedule in addition to the conference slate. If they wanted to play a P5 team on top of the crossover, then get rid a cupcake/FCS team and pony up. Heck the SOS argument could be turned the other way because the conference doesn't have as many bottom feeders as the two separate currently do. So if there are better teams across the conference, they'll be knocking each other off and no one will be ranked, nor will they make the playoff.

The whole notion of putting these conferences together is unnecessary. The teams that aren't happy want into a P5 conference not to create a bigger Group of 5 conference even if it potentially could be better than the current situation. There's no net gain to doing this, which is why it won't happen.

Crusaders

Looking at this, I think the best alignment would be:

East
Cincinnati
Houston
Memphis
Navy
Temple
UCF
UConn
USF

West
Air Force
Boise State
BYU
Colorado State
Fresno State
San Diego State
SMU
UNLV

As a conference, it would average around 33k per game (though there would likely be an uptick if the conference was treated more seriously than the AAC and MWC for playoff consideration) with an average stadium size of 47k (down to 43k if Temple ever builds their planned stadium). Additionally, its programs would be located in local markets that are home to at least 40 million people combined.

On the field, 38% of the teams (USF, Houston, Navy, Temple, Boise State, and San Diego State) would have broken into the Top 25 last season at some point. That's pretty solid.

I can see an argument for ECU (moderately competitive, large attendance) but they're in a tiny market. To overcome that, they'd need to have the "star power" of a Boise State, which they don't.

I can also see an argument for Tulane, but they simply lack competitiveness as a program, plus they're surrounded by SEC programs.

With the remnants of the MWC, I think you would see a new WAC form:
Hawaii
Idaho
Nevada
New Mexico
New Mexico State
San Jose State
Utah State
Wyoming

As for the remaining AAC teams, Tulsa could return to CUSA and Tulane and ECU could move to the Sun Belt. Or they could all go Indy and wait for the Big 12 to implode.

Overall, I think this would be a solid move for everyone involved. The conference would without a doubt command more national attention and be more competitive than the AAC and MWC are today.

:laugh: No need to get so upset that someone disagrees with you Max. By posting about said topic am I not engaging in it? Seems to me that would be the same thing. :shrug:

1. BYU used to be a member of the MWC, I doubt they would join this conference. As for Houston and Tulsa being included in the West, that falls into your hypothetical conference. As is, each conference has 16 members so crossover games in a challenge type event, could be done quite easily.
2. Playing the crossover game each year guarantees having another game on the schedule in addition to the conference slate. If they wanted to play a P5 team on top of the crossover, then get rid a cupcake/FCS team and pony up. Heck the SOS argument could be turned the other way because the conference doesn't have as many bottom feeders as the two separate currently do. So if there are better teams across the conference, they'll be knocking each other off and no one will be ranked, nor will they make the playoff.

The whole notion of putting these conferences together is unnecessary. The teams that aren't happy want into a P5 conference not to create a bigger Group of 5 conference even if it potentially could be better than the current situation. There's no net gain to doing this, which is why it won't happen.
Oh, don't be a vagina. You know you've been coming at this with hostility, trying to belittle a hypothetical that discusses the best of the G5 schools helping themselves.

I'm not surprised they appear to be the same thing to you since you're a moron.

1. Considering the recent backlash against the school over their policies and their denial by the Big 12, they may find this conference to be their best option.

The issue wasn't whether a MWC vs AAC challenge was possible, it was whether it was equal to forming this conference. It is not.

2. There is so much wrong to unpack here it would take 10,000 word essay. My god...How have you not run over yourself with your own lawnmower?

Bringing these two conferences together would be beneficial. Whether its necessary is not relevant.

It is abundantly clear you have an issue with these schools gaining more power. I think you're just an elitist who does not want another conference to emerge to challenge the status quo.

Back for more!

East:
Cincinnati
UConn
Houston
Memphis
Navy
Temple
UCF
USF

West:
Air Force
Boise State
BYU
Colorado State
Fresno State
San Diego State
SMU
UNLV

This conference alignment would have produced 7 ranked teams during the season: Boise State, Fresno State, Navy, San Diego State, UCF, USF, and Memphis.

FormerWildcat

Yappi Supporter
I think there is something to the point about at least some of these schools being out for themselves, which would hamper the ability to pull something like this off. Memphis really honest-to-God believes it should be in the Big 12, and thinks they "deserve" to be in a P5 conference more than the other AAC schools.

They just opened a brand-spankin' new basketball practice facility.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/basketball/2017/11/17/university-memphis-unveils-new-20-million-laurie-walton-family-basketball-center/867673001/

They're going to start construction on an expansion of their existing football practice facility in January.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/football/2017/11/01/construction-memphis-tigers-football-indoor-practice-facility-begin-january/821821001/

So, my sense is that they really don't care about everyone else. They're ready to drop the AAC (and everyone else) at the drop of a hat, and give a BJ to any P5 conference that would let them in.

adselder09

I think there is something to the point about at least some of these schools being out for themselves, which would hamper the ability to pull something like this off. Memphis really honest-to-God believes it should be in the Big 12, and thinks they "deserve" to be in a P5 conference more than the other AAC schools.

They just opened a brand-spankin' new basketball practice facility.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/basketball/2017/11/17/university-memphis-unveils-new-20-million-laurie-walton-family-basketball-center/867673001/

They're going to start construction on an expansion of their existing football practice facility in January.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/football/2017/11/01/construction-memphis-tigers-football-indoor-practice-facility-begin-january/821821001/

So, my sense is that they really don't care about everyone else. They're ready to drop the AAC (and everyone else) at the drop of a hat, and give a BJ to any P5 conference that would let them in.
Agree here. These schools, especially in the AAC are only part of that conference because no one bigger (Power 5) will have them. Plus it's not beneficial for them to be independent.

Even if they were to merge, which they won't, they'll have no more national repsect than they currently do. They wouldn't be granted in as the 6th power conference, they'll still be the leader of the Group of 5 and get treated worse than the realigned Big East during the end of the BCS era.

cjb56

Looking at this, I think the best alignment would be:

East
Cincinnati
Houston
Memphis
Navy
Temple
UCF
UConn
USF

West
Air Force
Boise State
BYU
Colorado State
Fresno State
San Diego State
SMU
UNLV

As a conference, it would average around 33k per game (though there would likely be an uptick if the conference was treated more seriously than the AAC and MWC for playoff consideration) with an average stadium size of 47k (down to 43k if Temple ever builds their planned stadium). Additionally, its programs would be located in local markets that are home to at least 40 million people combined.

On the field, 38% of the teams (USF, Houston, Navy, Temple, Boise State, and San Diego State) would have broken into the Top 25 last season at some point. That's pretty solid.

I can see an argument for ECU (moderately competitive, large attendance) but they're in a tiny market. To overcome that, they'd need to have the "star power" of a Boise State, which they don't.

I can also see an argument for Tulane, but they simply lack competitiveness as a program, plus they're surrounded by SEC programs.

With the remnants of the MWC, I think you would see a new WAC form:
Hawaii
Idaho
Nevada
New Mexico
New Mexico State
San Jose State
Utah State
Wyoming

As for the remaining AAC teams, Tulsa could return to CUSA and Tulane and ECU could move to the Sun Belt. Or they could all go Indy and wait for the Big 12 to implode.

Overall, I think this would be a solid move for everyone involved. The conference would without a doubt command more national attention and be more competitive than the AAC and MWC are today.
Looks good in theory, but there are nuances that are not factored in, such as New Mexico, Wyoming and Colorado State have been together in one league or another for about 70 years. They aren’t going to abandon each other now. They’ve always moved together. And Air Force, Wyoming and Colorado State are joined at the hip, so any league involving those schools would have to include Air Force, Colorado State, New Mexico and Wyoming together.

Of course it was thought Arkansas and Texas A&M would never leave Texas, and Nebraska would never leave Oklahoma, so who knows? Those Rocky Mountain schools I mentioned do have serious loyalty to each other, though.

Michael Bluth

This is purely a hypothetical question, but I'm curious what people think about it. Would the below conference be considered a contender for "P5" (or P6) status?

East:
USF
UCF
Cincinnati
Navy
Temple
UConn
Memphis
ECU

West:
Boise State
Houston
BYU/UNLV
Air Force
Tulsa
San Diego State
Colorado State
Hawaii
Still a mid-major conference even after hypothetical merger

ronnie mund

Essentially every measure imaginable. Current program prestige, championships, brand recognition, fanbase size, stadium size. The list goes on and on.

By what measures do you think that hypothetical conference ISN'T a mid-major?

Essentially every measure imaginable. Program prestige, bowl success, brand recognition, fanbase size, stadium size. The list goes on and on.

By what measure do you think that hypothetical conference IS a mid-major?