Should Fans Vote determine All Star participation?

MoeDude

LIVE FREE OR DIE!
Eight Atlanta Braves are in the All Star game, REALLY?!?!?? They are a good team but worthy of 8 all-star players? The all star game has become a joke because all it has become is a popularity contest. Fans who are ballot stuffing aren't really looking at the numbers. I think All Star selection should be some kind of collection of fan vote, actual performances and current year statistics.

What's your feeling about how the All Star team is selected.

How do they do it now? When we were younger, the vote took place at the ballparks. Seat attendants would come around and hand out the ballots and collect them the next inning. I think this is the way it should be done. Maybe they could weight every ballpark equally so that one team doesn't stuff the ballots and end up with 8 players.

I actually enjoyed filling out the ballots when I was younger. Of course I picked a couple of popular Indians but always looked for the best players for most of the ballot.

Reactions: LCL
When I was about 5 or 6 years old Cincinnati Reds fans stuffed the All-Star ballot box so that seven or all eight of the Reds regular position starters on the team were voted to the All-Star team as starters. The MLB Commissioner, which I think was Ford Frick at the time, replaced two or three of the Reds that were voted to a starting position and then also took the vote away from the fans for about 13 or 14 years after that.

Eight Atlanta Braves are in the All Star game, REALLY?!?!?? They are a good team but worthy of 8 all-star players?
They’re the best team in baseball and have a lot of players enjoying very good years. Only the 3 starters were voted in by the fans. The other 5 were selected by players, managers and the league.

The all star game has become a joke because all it has become is a popularity contest. Fans who are ballot stuffing aren't really looking at the numbers. I think All Star selection should be some kind of collection of fan vote, actual performances and current year statistics.
The All-Star Game is less of a popularity contest than ever. Having stats, including updated OPS, on the voting screen leads to a more informed voting public and helps them get it right instead of just choosing all the biggest names like in the old days. That’s reflected in deserving guys like Jonah Heim, Josh Jung, Luis Arraez and Corbin Carroll getting voted in as starters.

What's your feeling about how the All Star team is selected.
It’s fine, but I’d have all the managers and GMs pick the All-Star teams.

Last edited:
When we were younger, the vote took place at the ballparks. Seat attendants would come around and hand out the ballots and collect them the next inning. I think this is the way it should be done.
Online is a way better method. Updated stats are on the voting screen. Baseball fans who live too far from a major-league city or who don’t have the money to go to a bunch of games shouldn’t be excluded from the fan vote.

And we know that all kinds of mishaps and shenanigans can happen with paper ballots.

Online is a way better method. Updated stats are on the voting screen. Baseball fans who live too far from a major-league city or who don’t have the money to go to a bunch of games shouldn’t be excluded from the fan vote.

And we know that all kinds of mishaps and shenanigans can happen with paper ballots.
Idk if it really did anything, but T-Mobile had a commercial that said they developed technology to essentially audit votes (fake vs real) prior to them being counted to try and curb ballot stuffing. I honestly just want to see the best players play. The amount of Braves players didnt bother me, they were all All Star caliber. The number of Rangers was suprising to me, but I dont really pay much attention to the AL West, except for Ohtani and learning what injury Trout has this year. It is odd that the Central leaders had a combined 3 players, if I'm not mistaken. Goes to show you how incredible a job each of those clubs are doing.

This is all cyclical and all 30 teams fans have the same opportunity to vote their players in. The Braves and the Rangers just must do a really good job of that right now. I'm ok with the current set up with the fans voting for the starters and the managers/ coaches voting for the reserves. Pretty hard to find a guy deserving not make it one way or another.

This is all cyclical and all 30 teams fans have the same opportunity to vote their players in. The Braves and the Rangers just must do a really good job of that right now.
Those teams have a lot of players having very good seasons, which were recognized by objective fans who had the stats right in front of them and wanted to vote in the most deserving players. It’s not some orchestrated ballot stuffing by a fanbase.

Remember when the Reds went all in on trying to win the All-Star Game and ruined the franchise for years? We'll always have that Todd Frazier Home Run Derby Championship though.