Should driving tests be mandatory once you reach a certain age?

Old people

• Total voters
You should be able to drive until the law says you can't. I had this discussion with my in laws a few years back. They wanted to take their dad's keys away, he was 90. The only place he drove was to store and back. 1 mile round trip. Why take a persons dignity if it has zero effect on you? If he did hit some thing it would little damage since he drove like a 90 yr old. I told them if he has insurance and a license he is good to go. People who want to intervene in others lives are miserable humans.

You should be able to drive until the law says you can't. I had this discussion with my in laws a few years back. They wanted to take their dad's keys away, he was 90. The only place he drove was to store and back. 1 mile round trip. Why take a persons dignity if it has zero effect on you? If he did hit some thing it would little damage since he drove like a 90 yr old. I told them if he has insurance and a license he is good to go. People who want to intervene in others lives are miserable humans.

We went through this with my wife's grandpa about 5 years ago. He was in his 90's and didn't want to give up his ability to drive places. The problem was he was slipping mentally and couldn't walk across a room without loosing his balance. There were multiple occasions when his car ended up with scratches and damage from him hitting stuff, and he could never tell you what it was from. None of the children wanted to be the bad guy and take his keys away but luckily he ended up in a nursing home before he had a chance to hurt someone.

18 maximum. I hate all of the discrepancies between what is and what isn't considered an adult.

This isn't about adulthood. This is about driving and at what age should a person have to get annual renewals. It makes zero sense if you aren't going to address the real issue which is drivers between 16 and 24.

So why are insurance companies taking on high risk people at a lower premium than the market should dictate? Either that or they're not high risk.

I'd guess it's based on the fact teenagers speed more than old people and a greater % of teenagers die in car accidents. I don't necessarily agree with these metrics when determining the level of danger a driver poses to themselves and others on the road.

I'd guess it's based on the fact teenagers speed more than old people and a greater % of teenagers die in car accidents. I don't necessarily agree with these metrics when determining the level of danger a driver poses to themselves and others on the road.

Lol how could you even argue otherwise? Lol

Well according to statistics young drivers are the worst, so what's going on?

They represent a higher number, they're less experienced and they are dumb. If they pass a test at 16 what will change in a year to make them fail at 17? Testing while your skills are developing makes a lot less sense than testing while skills are deteriorating.

They represent a higher number, they're less experienced and they are dumb. If they pass a test at 16 what will change in a year to make them fail at 17? Testing while your skills are developing makes a lot less sense than testing while skills are deteriorating.

It's not skills that get them killed it's dumb choices. It would be better to not let them drive until after 24 tbh. If whatvwe are talking about is keeping people safe.

It's not skills that get them killed it's dumb choices. It would be better to not let them drive until after 24 tbh. If whatvwe are talking about is keeping people safe.

People often make dumb choices because of a lack of experience. I bet that no matter when you start the driving age, that age group will be the most accident prone.

People often make dumb choices because of a lack of experience. I bet that no matter when you start the driving age, that age group will be the most accident prone.

I disagree. It would be the old people.

Nothing like a banging thunderstorm in January!!

Ok. It's meaningless if you aren't going to fix the 16-24 yr age range first.

Your idea of a fix is upping the age at which one can get a license. That's fine, but then everything else must get pushed back also, because the implication is that a 16-24 year old isn't mature enough to operate a vehicle, which then means they aren't mature enough to join the military, take out a loan, use tobacco, drink alcohol, etc.

That's why I asked your opinion on what age a person becomes an adult.