Sam Shields

gatorfan200215

This blazing WR/DB just committed to the Hurricanes. Shields looks top be one of the top 3 wr's coming out of florida this year, after Jamar Hornsby and tony wilson.

Shields is a great pickup for the Canes who need Wr's this class.

Although, Shields' dad said not to put too much stock in Sam's committment ( Sam is currently only listed as a soft verbal to UM) b/c he wants his son to undergo the entire recruiting process and Sam's mother wants him to visit the Gators.

However, this kid has had UM as his number 1 from the beginning and it will be extremely tough for anyone to pry him from the Canes.

all this is from a rivals premium article, so no link available.

Last edited:

I saw that recently, but i think the #1 wideout in FLA right now is Richard Jackson, at least that is what Rivals is listing...

you sure pb4? i have never heard of Richard Jackson

Jamar Hornsby was rated the number one overall player in Florida by Sunshine Preps, is a top 100 rivals prospect and a likely 5 star player

FWIW tony wilson is also in the rivlas pre season top 100 (UGA leads for him with UF close behind.)

gatorfan200215 said:
you sure pb4? i have never heard of Richard Jackson

Jamar Hornsby was rated the number one overall player in Florida by Sunshine Preps, is a top 100 rivals prospect and a likely 5 star player

FWIW tony wilson is also in the rivlas pre season top 100 (UGA leads for him with UF close behind.)

Florida Varsity top 50

Yea this is the site on rivals, actually it has Alex Rose as the top WR with Jackson right behind...

(Heath is a S imo and Fayson will be given every chane to play QB)

Shields is a STUD! I know Tennessee really liked him. He is a good pickup for Miami. The question is, how is Miami's situation at QB? I really think they could be in for some lean years at the QB position. I dont think they have recruited all that well there lately outside of Kyle Wright, who I have heard has been somewhat disappointing to this point...

OK Pb4 that makes sense, Jamar and tony are listed ahead of them, but as athletes b/c they can play both WR and DB.

Jamar has said that he def. wants to play WR as his primary position and try to play both ways as a DB on defense (has the potential to be a charles woodson type stud)

have not heard where Tony Wilson will play but to me he has the size (5-10?) and speed (4.5) that might be better suited for safety

i agree Don, if Kyle Wright does not pan out, the only highly rated guy they have left on the team is Freeman.

i know they didn't get any qb this recruiting class and I am fairly sure that Freeman and Wright are their only legimate starter candidates since they were the two in Miami's qb competition during spring practice.

back to Sam Shields, his coach just stated that the magazine Prep Stars that reported Sam's committment was wrong and he called in and had them change it.

the canes still lead for Sam but the coach (who stated that he himself was a cane) said the gators are very much in it still.

he also alluded to the NCAA going to start cracking down on some internet recruiting sites like Prep Stars that may spread rumors and false information but did not go into detail so neither will I, he just said keep an ear out for anything you might hear regarding the NCAA and recruiting sites.

this site Prepstars had everyone fooled, including the top college football recruiting site on the internet which listed him as a Miami verbal.

that's a shame when recruiting sites try to influence teams and players.

i will keep this thread open because the Sam Shields recruiting saga looks to be an classic recruiting battle between Miami, UF, and maybe a sleeper. Also, Shields is a stud, and i will see if i can post his stats on here as he plays his games later in the year.